20 Rep Squat Program

Options

Replies

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    eeejer wrote: »
    unless you are eating at a reasonable surplus I don't see how this is going to do much for you. You would be better off doing 5x5 at the normal progression and doing heavier weight.

It's useful far beyond strength and size gains.

This is easily one of those most mentally taxing programs I've ever run. Even if the intent isn't all gains- it's a real gut check of a program. Which in my opinion- is well worth it.

Then do 5/3/1 where you do AMRAP for last set. I don't know, just seems like a gimmick to me. You could be lifting heavier loads which is also pretty mentally grueling, especially on AMRAPs. However, if you are having fun go for it, it certainly is better than most people do ;)
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    unless you are eating at a reasonable surplus I don't see how this is going to do much for you. You would be better off doing 5x5 at the normal progression and doing heavier weight.

This is easily one of those most mentally taxing programs I've ever run. Even if the intent isn't all gains- it's a real gut check of a program. Which in my opinion- is well worth it.

Then do 5/3/1 where you do AMRAP for last set. I don't know, just seems like a gimmick to me. You could be lifting heavier loads which is also pretty mentally grueling, especially on AMRAPs. However, if you are having fun go for it, it certainly is better than most people do ;)

@eeejer I actually was doing 5/3/1 for awhile and was doing 12-14 on some of my 5 rep weeks. It's not a gimmick as there are a lot of people out there that make really good gains on it. The main knock is that, as @JoRocka said, it's terribly grueling.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

All gains are not created equally.........we're all tiny special snow flakes and what works for you, might not be best for me.

At the end of the day the only real science evidence behind muscle growth and/or strength gains IS progressive overload. Whether you add sets / reps / weight, it doesn't matter......just keep progressing.........

It's really no more difficult than that. We make it difficult on ourselves.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Thanks for the highly concescending and pedantic tone at the end of it.
    But you know whatever it's cool.

Go tell Tom F**king Platz that this program is a gimmick and then come back to me mmmkay_zpswxbd1ynu.jpg
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    I have added almost 400 pounds to my squat from when I began. The first hundred came doing sets of 10. The second hundred doing sets of 5. The third hundred doing sets of 20 at a lighter weight. The fourth hundred doing sets of 1-3.

You can gain strength doing any combination of sets/reps, if you have the dedication for it.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Cardio day
    Treadmill 3 miles in 22:20
    cool-down on bike 3 miles in 12:45
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

All gains are not created equally.........we're all tiny special snow flakes and what works for you, might not be best for me.

At the end of the day the only real science evidence behind muscle growth and/or strength gains IS progressive overload. Whether you add sets / reps / weight, it doesn't matter......just keep progressing.........

It's really no more difficult than that. We make it difficult on ourselves.

Agreed. Besides, there are no "perfect programs."
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Week 3 - Day 8

Squat: 165#x20
    pullover: 25#x20
    OHP: 110# 5x5
    DL: 305#x5

I'm starting to get antsy to move up quicker with the squats, especially after having done 225 last week. I know I can do more, but I'm sticking to the plan for now. Upped my calories by 100 again this week, so I'm now at 1700+excercise so 1900-2200 gross calories. Bodyweight has been holding pretty steady around 180-182. Technically I should still be in a cut, but I've run into this before in my weight loss. It's almost like my body tries to compensate my metabolism to be in maintenance mode. It's really hard for me to lose at anything shy of a 500 cal/day deficit.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    #thestruggleisreal

I find about 1500/1400 and that's it for me- after that I have to start really including cardio- which- super lame- but a reality for me. BLECK.

I feel your pain. 165 should feel good for you though I bet. not to heavy.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    #thestruggleisreal

I find about 1500/1400 and that's it for me- after that I have to start really including cardio- which- super lame- but a reality for me. BLECK.

Yeah, 165 doesn't feel heavy at all. On the days I'm doing my 1x5 DL I'm thinking about including a couple sets of lower rep, heavier squats as well since I've got a little more time not doing a 5x5 exercise. Nothing too heavy, but maybe pyramid up to a 250# triple or something, just to keep some more of the heavy weight in there until I start the full blown 20rep program...4 more weeks.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    #thestruggleisreal

Yeah, 165 doesn't feel heavy at all. On the days I'm doing my 1x5 DL I'm thinking about including a couple sets of lower rep, heavier squats as well since I've got a little more time not doing a 5x5 exercise. Nothing too heavy, but maybe pyramid up to a 250# triple or something, just to keep some more of the heavy weight in there until I start the full blown 20rep program...4 more weeks.

heh- I told you it was an over kill lead in!!!

eh- I say go for it if you want- you'll have plenty of time to die during the "official" six weeks.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    #thestruggleisreal

heh- I told you it was an over kill lead in!!!

eh- I say go for it if you want- you'll have plenty of time to die during the "official" six weeks.

Yep, I know it is overkill, but I'd rather feel so good that I wish I did more leading into my race, than regretting that I started the program too early and not have anything left in my legs for race day.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Week 3 - Day 9

Squat: 165#x20, 225x5, 275x5
    Pullover: 25#x20
    IBP: 155# 5x5
    Weighted Pullups: 45# 5x5

I modified my squat a little to get some heavier work in as I described on Wed. I can already tell the difference mentally if not physically with heavier squats. I did a top set of 275x5 and 3 weeks ago, probably would have stopped at 3. I actually think I could have gone for more, but didn't want to push it like I did last week with the 225x20. So far I'm definitely pleased with the progress. I also finally got a belt this week as I knew I was going to want it for when my 20reps started getting heavier.

Here's a couple of videos from today for top set squat and incline BP.
    https://youtu.be/zFVmzMaKpzA
    https://youtu.be/u-tO1LBKYwI
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw out there that women's abilities to rep out more closer to their one rep max throws those calculators a bit off. I didn't go right from 200# for 20 to my 300. I had to prep my system for the experience of higher weight and get more confident. Hitting 300 for a lady or three plates is highly mental for women because we don't see other women doing it much in real life. I wondered if I had the genetic capacity for it honestly. JoRocka what worked for me was doing the twenty rep program then doing eight weeks of meet prep where I progressed into a lot of heavy triples, doubles, and singles. Specificity. I think you will get some movement if you run a peaking cycle after being in a hypertrophy cycle. Honestly for me a lot was mental and not knowing how to keep my upper back super super tight. Now squatting seems like a math equation when I set up and isn't daunting. I have been doing overloaded walk outs, too. Seems to help. Also I watched Meg Squats Road to 300 on YouTube weekly for mental game. My female coach hit 400 right before I hit 300 so that helped. Anyway my point is do a 20 rep then peaking cycle both mentally and physically and I bet you will get a significant jump! :)
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Week 4 - Day 10

Squat: 170x20, 225x5, 275x3
    pullover: 25x20
    OHP: 115 5x5
    DL: 155x5, 245x5, 315x5

Played a double header soccer game yesterday and my hammies were extremely tender this morning. Probably try and roll them out tonight when I get home. Could have pushed past the 275x3, but again, with the tired legs, didn't want to push it and injure myself.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    @kelly_e_montana mad props on a 300# squat!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw out there that women's abilities to rep out more closer to their one rep max throws those calculators a bit off. I didn't go right from 200# for 20 to my 300. I had to prep my system for the experience of higher weight and get more confident. Hitting 300 for a lady or three plates is highly mental for women because we don't see other women doing it much in real life. I wondered if I had the genetic capacity for it honestly. JoRocka what worked for me was doing the twenty rep program then doing eight weeks of meet prep where I progressed into a lot of heavy triples, doubles, and singles. Specificity. I think you will get some movement if you run a peaking cycle after being in a hypertrophy cycle. Honestly for me a lot was mental and not knowing how to keep my upper back super super tight. Now squatting seems like a math equation when I set up and isn't daunting. I have been doing overloaded walk outs, too. Seems to help. Also I watched Meg Squats Road to 300 on YouTube weekly for mental game. My female coach hit 400 right before I hit 300 so that helped. Anyway my point is do a 20 rep then peaking cycle both mentally and physically and I bet you will get a significant jump! :)

Awesome. Great advice - - - I'm NO where close to that but really enjoyed reading your post!
  • JoRocka
    Options

I know half my problem is mental- so I would totally agree with all this. I'm in a heavy cut right now following that program- so I really wasn't thinking any sort of power would be useful after that- being said- I'm REALLY sad I didn't have that set up better to run something like Sheiko full out- I bet I would have done MUCH better with my 1 rpm max- for exactly all the reasons you stated.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this is progressing! I've been slacking a bit myself so good to see folks punishing themselves, er, pushing themselves to get some motivation going. :smile:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Re doing a cut...

Well there is that. While my squat numbers are WAY better than last year, I have put on 15 pounds and I was much happier with my body comp 15 pounds ago. I'd say the gain is about half muscle, half fat. I do envy those who can have optimal body comp and optimal lift numbers, but I am not that person. *sigh* I always want to get stronger (addicted!) and I have a hard time doing that in a deficit. I looked at my 255# video and was like "wow, my squat was loosey goosey and sad but my bod looked good!" *pout*