April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I just did something like that on Saturday as my last Long Run before the Taper Crazies.
    I had a goal of Minimum/Maximum Distance related to Min/Max Time. 14-18 km in 1:30 - 1:45.
    It was a way to get a long distance run and long time without having a " I must " attitude which usually gets me in trouble by over doing it on time or distance (pace).
    I think I might do an experiment this weekend. I have a 6 mile run Long Run planned for Sat, but I'm thinking, what I might do is do the run like planned, but make my goal a run of 1:30:00.

@ddmom0811 If I tried to do a run that early in the morning I would probably miss some all important pre-run routine that would get me in trouble as I would definitely be half asleep as I head out the door. I don't have to deal with the heat so I understand why you have to getup and go so early. We have the other problem where in the winter we wait until 12:00 - 2:00pm when it is a little warmer.
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I contemplated getting up earlier but I just couldn't do it.
    I have everything laid out for my run and it's just a matter of pop in contacts, throw on clothes, turn on my 3 lights, and not let myself get distracted. Sometimes I am half asleep as I head out the door.

I just noticed they have added a Like and Awesome button to the threads right beside the Quote/Flag button.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @juliet3455 That's kind for my plan. I want to do a longer run than I have been doing, but normally I go too fast. I figure if I put a 1:25-1:35 time on it, and go for minimum 6-7 miles, I'll have to make myself pace better so I can reach the time limit I want and not worry about the miles so much as keeping a good pace for the whole time.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hmmm....just noticed a post can't be both "liked" and "awesome" at the same time!:lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Hmmm....just noticed a post can't be both "liked" and "awesome" at the same time!:lol:

well, that's not Awesome, and I don't Like that.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    The weekend weather forecast for Sat morning is really tempting me to do something not good. It's supposed to be partly cloudy and in the mid 40s-50s when I normally run.....Now I'm tempted to just start out on the 13.1 mile route I have and see how far I can get, but keep it slow and cap the run at a reasonable time limit....Mind you, I'm never more than 3-4 miles from home at any point on the run.....Nice weather brings out all kinds of interesting ideas for me. This would be a one off, to enjoy the first real nice Saturday.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    The weekend weather forecast for Sat morning is really tempting me to do something not good. It's supposed to be partly cloudy and in the mid 40s-50s when I normally run.....Now I'm tempted to just start out on the 13.1 mile route I have and see how far I can get, but keep it slow and cap the run at a reasonable time limit....Mind you, I'm never more than 3-4 miles from home at any point on the run.....Nice weather brings out all kinds of interesting ideas for me. This would be a one off, to enjoy the first real nice Saturday.
    Just run until you start to wonder if you can keep going. Then turn around and start running back. :trollface:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I think going the 1:30, taking it nice and slow, is a smarter choice. That's plenty of time out in the warmer temps! Don't let the warmer weather tempt you into making "too much too soon" kinds of choices!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm liking the Like button. What will we do with all the time we save?!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Just run until you start to wonder if you can keep going. Then turn around and start running back. :trollface:
    That's what I was thinking.
    @MNLittleFinn I think going the 1:30, taking it nice and slow, is a smarter choice. That's plenty of time out in the warmer temps! Don't let the warmer weather tempt you into making "too much too soon" kinds of choices!

Yeah, I know I'm probably not going to do the whole thing. I just needed other people to help remind me not too....I'm not good at listening to myself, but I can listen to others very well.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    4/12 2.93 miles
    Today was intervals and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might have been. I hit a big PR on deadlifts last night and was super excited until I realized how my legs were feeling this morning. It wasn't until I tried walking up the stairs to my apartment after my run that my legs really started to get angry with me. I need to make sure I do deadlifts on Sundays so that I am not doing them before an interval run. :#
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for April
    4/1 REST DAY
    4/2 14.3 miles - 14.3 <<< 13.1 HM + 1.2 warmup
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 4.2 miles - 18.5 << will try and get a second lunch time run in
    4/4 4.0 miles - 22.5 << daily double, 3E +1HMP
    4/5 8 miles - 30.5
    4/6 4.2 miles - 34.7 << easy recovery 4 (taper week)
    4/7 6 miles - 40.7
    4/8 5 miles - 45.7
    4/9 3.3 miles - 49
    4/10 14.2 miles - 63.2 << 13.1 + 1.1 w/u
    4/11 6.2 miles - 69.4
    4/12 9 miles - 78.4
    4/12 6.2 miles - 84.6 << daily double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---rest
    2---6.79
    3---7.38
    4,5---tired
    6---5.20
    7---7.28
    8---6.96
    9---3.9 walk
    10---6.35
    11---rest
    12---5.41 first GU run.. No tummy problems. Legs are tired today...

48.42/130 miles

"Don't let fear decide your future" Shalane Flanagan. Olympic Bronze Medalist

Upcoming races:

04/24/16 OKC Memorial Half
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  566.37/ 2016
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @JaneKnoll1 Come over to the New April Challenge and Join in.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    My husband will think I'm off my nut if I start sleeping in my running clothes! But it may get me up and out. I'd hate to "dirty" good running clothes without having had run in them. :grin:
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    My husband will think I'm off my nut if I start sleeping in my running clothes! But it may get me up and out. I'd hate to "dirty" good running clothes without having had run in them. :grin:

Mine already thinks I'm off my nut. I wouldn't be comfortable sleeping in sports bra and the rest. Too hot. The like and awesome button are ...well ... Awesome and I like them. Don't feel pressured to like everyone's posts! Lol.
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sooo.... I totally skipped my run, yesterday! I've never done that before! (No, seriously, I've only been running since July, and I'd NEVER skipped a scheduled run until yesterday). It was a really rough day at school (I'm a teacher) and I was just done. I'm thinking I might run on the treadmill tonight. Usually Tuesday is a rest day for me, and I won't end up doing the full 4 miles I had scheduled, but even if I do two... at least it's somehing. I have speed work scheduled for tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it.
    4/1 - 2.2m
    4/2 - 6.2m (my first full 10k!)
    4/3 - 3.9m recovery
    4/4 - 2m easy
    4/6 - 3.6m 8x400 @ 2:20/interval
    4/8 - 4.1 easy
    4/9 - 4m easy
    4/10 - 6m race pace
    4/11 - Skipped it - YIKES!
    4/13 -
    4/15 -
    4/16 -