Milk

Options

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with full fat milk as long as you are neither casein or lactose intolerant. Scientist are saying fat is not the bad guy, we need it to ensure our hormones and enzymes keep well. As was stated back in the '70's its all the added sugars which do the harm turning into fat to be stored for the famine our bodies are programmed to expect.

If you really don't like milk in that form make space for the form you do like in your day.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with full fat milk as long as you are neither casein or lactose intolerant. Scientist are saying fat is not the bad guy, we need it to ensure our hormones and enzymes keep well. As was stated back in the '70's its all the added sugars which do the harm turning into fat to be stored for the famine our bodies are programmed to expect.

If you really don't like milk in that form make space for the form you do like in your day.

Not if one is in a state of negative energy balance. In other word, in a calorie deficit, sugar will not turn into fat.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk all the way! Check out this article. NPR calls the newest evidence a "paradox" because mainstream nutriton science has been promoting low fat for weight loss for years. It's not a paradox, it's just true: fat is your friend when it comes to weight loss.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/02/12/275376259/the-full-fat-paradox-whole-milk-may-keep-us-lean
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Low fat for weight loss is the same thing as low sugar for weight loss. Translation, low calorie for weight loss...
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Low fat for weight loss is the same thing as low sugar for weight loss. Translation, low calorie for weight loss...

really? then why would whole milk decrease obesity risk and fat free milk increase obesity risk? Fat free milk has fewer calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    2 percent milk is it really bad....never tried soy almond or vanilla...but I'm wanting a bowl of raisin bran!!

I've found that cereals like Raisin Bran just don't fill me up and so are not worth the calories to me. No cereal = no need to fret about what type of milk to use in them. Problem solved for me.

But when I do buy milk for cooking, I get full fat milk from the local dairy, because I like that I can see that these cows are well treated and because full fat milk tastes better to me.

So that's what I do. But if you like 2% milk, use 2% milk, and make sure the calories of it and the cereal fit into your calorie budget.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Options

really? then why would whole milk decrease obesity risk and fat free milk increase obesity risk? Fat free milk has fewer calories.

Its a meta data analysis and even they are unclear to why its happening, at least according to your article. There is some thought that it could either be the satiety factor or other complicated factors such as fat metabolism. Either way, they still recommend limiting dairy as there are still stronger linkages to saturated fat and cvd. At the end of the day, in an environment like mfp, it wont matter as we are in a controlled calorie environment, most here exercise and get nutrient dense foods. It might help some, who are satieted off a fats but it surely wont apply to everyone.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options

They don't know. And so this tangent would be best continued in the Debate Forum rather than here.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/02/12/275376259/the-full-fat-paradox-whole-milk-may-keep-us-lean

...It's not clear what might explain this phenomenon. Lots of folks point to the satiety factor. The higher levels of fat in whole milk products may make us feel fuller, faster. And as a result, the thinking goes, we may end up eating less.

Or the explanation could be more complex. "There may be bioactive substances in the milk fat that may be altering our metabolism in a way that helps us utilize the fat and burn it for energy, rather than storing it in our bodies," Miller says.
  • Crisseyda
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

They don't know. And so this tangent would be best continued in the Debate Forum rather than here.

...It's not clear what might explain this phenomenon. Lots of folks point to the satiety factor. The higher levels of fat in whole milk products may make us feel fuller, faster. And as a result, the thinking goes, we may end up eating less.

Or the explanation could be more complex. "There may be bioactive substances in the milk fat that may be altering our metabolism in a way that helps us utilize the fat and burn it for energy, rather than storing it in our bodies," Miller says.

Not a tangent. OP said, "2% milk is it really bad."
  • J72FIT
    Options

Really. Because the calories are just replaced somewhere else. CICO...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I put whole milk on my cereal when I have it. It has never had any negative effects on me.
    Use what you like that fits your calorie goal. If the milk isn't spoiled and you are not lactose intolerant and you have the calories for it why would it be bad?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »
    2 percent milk is it really bad....never tried soy almond or vanilla...but I'm wanting a bowl of raisin bran!!
    I drink either unpasteurized whole milk or coconut milk.

Do you milk cows? I do not know where to buy it locally and have not milked cows in 50 years. Thanks
  • tessr760
    tessr760 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    honestly I wouldn't recommend dairy milk at all especially for weight loss, since it's meant to grow baby cows. Most people like almond milk, but if you're looking for a thicker, more filling substitute, I'd suggest coconut milk as it has a higher fat content without being too unhealthy.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Is 2 percent milk bad compared to skim,almond,soy,vanilla

There really is nothing wrong with whole milk. A diet high in fat will not make you fat, if you have a deficit. My own diet is 45-50%fat, and I lost 30lbs in 3 months eating consistently that way. Just make sure you are weighing/logging your food intake accurately, and able to maintain a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    tessr760 wrote: »
    honestly I wouldn't recommend dairy milk at all especially for weight loss, since it's meant to grow baby cows. Most people like almond milk, but if you're looking for a thicker, more filling substitute, I'd suggest coconut milk as it has a higher fat content without being too unhealthy.

Milk is food for a cow, no different than how our babies drink milk and then eat real food. And coconut milk and almond milk are no better and no real milk. And in reality it should be called almond water since it's the first ingredient.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I usually drink full fat but grew up on 2% and don't mind it... I actually never drink it use it for cooking or cereal and stuff.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    I usually drink full fat but grew up on 2% and don't mind it... I actually never drink it use it for cooking or cereal and stuff.

Gee you must be a young'un I was bought on only milk available it was simple- didn't even know the % just milk. Came with the cream under the foil cap in a little glass bottle. Provided in primary school in crates unrefrigerated by the gov. Birds used to peck a hole in the top for the cream. Lovely and warm on hot day. Unhomogenized then. Now it's full fat, light, skim, caffe milk, lactose free, high protein, A2, organic etc
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »

Gee you must be a young'un I was bought on only milk available it was simple- didn't even know the % just milk. Came with the cream under the foil cap in a little glass bottle. Provided in primary school in crates unrefrigerated by the gov. Birds used to peck a hole in the top for the cream. Lovely and warm on hot day. Unhomogenized then. Now it's full fat, light, skim, caffe milk, lactose free, high protein, A2, organic etc

Haha so true. when I grew up there was a choice of milk.... or milk :lol:

• ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It obviously becomes a case of your own preference as i love unsweetened almond milk for everything , its low in calories , high in calcium and contains good fat , but ultimately you need to choose what you like best .
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It obviously becomes a case of your own preference as i love unsweetened almond milk for everything , its low in calories , high in calcium and contains good fat , but ultimately you need to choose what you like best .

If you love almond milk you I think would love homemade tastes much much better. Ive made almond and walnut which I prefer as you don't have to soak the nuts overnight. But alas all good things take time!