This is going to be very complicated to whoever wants to help me.. :)

Options

Replies

• niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is not necessarily good though... There's a condition called water intoxication or water poisoning (too much water affects the balance of electrolytes) and it's the opposite from being healthy.

I thought I didn't eat too much high calorie food before I start using MFP for serious logging, but I was surprised to see how much additional calories I consumed when I started logging accurately. And also, that additional amount of calories might jeopardize your plan if you've already got a smaller daily calorie to start with (say, 100-200 kcal per day in addition to your daily allowance)...

• natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're overthinking things. Eat at the goal MFP gives you, not going below 1200. Use a food scale to weigh all solids. Eat around half your exercise cals. No need to avoid any food unless you have a medical condition. If you're not sure if you're hungry or not drink some water, chew gum, brush your teeth. You got this :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Also, sometimes I feel like I have something physically wrong with my body, like I have too much estrogen, too many hormonal imbalances, maybe with my thyroid? I just don't get it, because what I have been doing these years, I should have lost the weight by now:( At least to a normal 110 lbs. Have I completely messed up my metabolism?

Step 1: Go to the doctor. Get a complete physical.

• shineyapple
    shineyapple Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Also, sometimes I feel like I have something physically wrong with my body, like I have too much estrogen, too many hormonal imbalances, maybe with my thyroid? I just don't get it, because what I have been doing these years, I should have lost the weight by now:( At least to a normal 110 lbs. Have I completely messed up my metabolism?

Step 1: Go to the doctor. Get a complete physical.

Hmm Good Idea:)
  • shineyapple
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Hi... You've gotten lots of good advice above.
    I am going to make an unconventional suggestion: I think you should start with a dexa scan. They cost about $100 and are offered in most major markets, so if you live in a small town you'll need to go to a nearby city. The reason I say this is because then you'll know exactly your fat to muscle ratio and you can pick a sensible weight goal based on reality, not conjecture.
    My second observation is that you stop thinking things like 'my body doesn't want to work with me.' Foolishness. Your body IS you. If anyone is playing tricks on you here it is your mind. And that's you too! Stay in the realm of facts.
    If you are maintaining any single weight for an extended length of time then your combined eating & activity equal maintenance. Fact. To change that balance you need accurate information. Just log already. I believe you when you say you know all about calories. Thats not the same as writing it all down and seeing the totals each day.
    You can do this slowly and sensibly. xo

I am so going to get a dexa scan! I have never even heard of this! Thank you so much for telling me about it :)
  • shineyapple
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're overthinking things. Eat at the goal MFP gives you, not going below 1200. Use a food scale to weigh all solids. Eat around half your exercise cals. No need to avoid any food unless you have a medical condition. If you're not sure if you're hungry or not drink some water, chew gum, brush your teeth. You got this :)

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Trying to troubleshoot an issue without having all the facts is never going to work. Pick a reasonable rate of loss, say 1 pound per week. Log accurately for 3 months. Commit to it. For 12 weeks, weigh your food, use accurate database entries, and above all, stick with it. I guarantee you will lose weight. If you haven't lost around the weight you expected at the end of that time period, adjust your calories up (if you lost more than about a pound per week) or down (if you've lost less than about a pound per week).

Forget about mind-logging. That's not a thing.

ETA: I should add that some people are able to properly track their calories without logging, but that's not in your skill set based on your post. An added benefit to consistent logging is that you could learn to do it properly!

I am actually very good at counting calories, I don't ever have to look up the food in order to know. Based on the foods I usually eat, I always know the amount of calories to the amount Im eating. So, I would say that it is in my skill set, I have been doing it for about 3 years. But, maybe you are right, maybe I am not accurate ENOUGH :open_mouth:

Sadly, our brain lies to us. And in some foods that are dense (bread) it may all look the same but actually be off by a good margin. Definitely invest in the food scale and get more serious about your logging! :smile: Weight loss is about the calorie deficit, not necessarily the exercise (though it's good for overall health!).
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My comments aren't suggestions to help you lose weight but to become a little healthier. It looks like for a meal you're either eating some meat and drinking 0 calorie tea, or having a little bit of a low calorie vegetable and eating as many or more calories as the vegetable has in non-nutritious other stuff. You're actually drinking most of your calories, in addition to 10-11 cups of water per day. (You must have to be near a restroom ALL of the time drinking so much!)

You said you drink so much water (and apparently tea, coffee, milk, and cocoa) to stay full. Vegetables have few calories for the volume you get to eat (so you can be full of food instead of liquid), and they have fiber, which is good for your digestive track, regularity, and cholesterol levels. They also have vitamins and minerals that you aren't getting from coffee, cocoa powder, tea bags, and milk. Fruit has a few more calories, but still has vitamins.

It looks like you are getting very little nutrition from your calorie choices. Please consider the nutritional value of the calories you are consuming.

As an example, April 13, dinner:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Nestle - Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 3 Tbsp 45 9 3 3 0 0
    Stash - Peppermint Herbal Tea , 2 tea bag 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 1 cup 122 11 5 8 100 12
    Coffee - French Press - Black, 10 oz 2 0 0 0 5 0
    Generic - Raw Brown Sugar, 4 teaspoon 60 16 0 0 0 16
    Zergut - Russian Style Ikra Zucchini Spread, 60 g 50 4 2 0 300 4
    Hellman's - Mayonaisse, 1 tbsp (13g) 90 0 10 0 90 0
    Vegetable - Celery - Raw, 1 Stalk, Large (11"-12" Long), 6 large stalk 60 12 0 0 306 6
    Quick Tools 429 52 20 12 801 39

I'm not sure what zucchini "spread" is, but even if it is real, nutritious food, along with the celery and milk you had 232 calories (or less) of nutritious food and 199 of things that do not carry a high nutritional value. You can do a lot with 199 calories of fruits and/or vegetables, your stomach would be more satisfied, and you would be getting better nutrition.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    *Also, please dont judge me about my eating in the beginning, I was stupid i know this now*

Okay I dont really know where to start. I have been trying to lose weight for like 3 years now. Before these 3 years, I lost weight by restricting my calorie intake (to unhealthy levels) and I was pretty active. I lost weight in 6 months i went to 103 lbs. I was all muscle, my measurements were 32-24-32. Eventually, i lost my period and had to gain weight to get it back.

...I think one of my main issues was that when I started losing weight the first time, I stopped eating meat, and never got any protein, so maybe I lost muscle? Only within the past 2 weeks, Ive started to eat meat.

I tried weight training, but I suck at it soo much. I hate lifting weights when I am this weight, because I feel huge and unable to lift. I feel once I get thin and in shape, It would be much easier to work with my body and tone. Right now, I just feel fat.

Yes, when one undereats, one loses muscle. I want to address your statement "unable to lift" - do you mean the lowest weights on the machines are too heavy? Try free weights instead. These should start at 5 pounds. I steal 8s and 12s from the group exercise room and hide them in the free weight rack.

Or are you just comparing yourself to what you used to be able to lift? This is more of your mind messing with you. Start where you are.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure what zucchini "spread" is, but even if it is real, nutritious food, along with the celery and milk you had 232 calories (or less) of nutritious food and 199 of things that do not carry a high nutritional value. You can do a lot with 199 calories of fruits and/or vegetables, your stomach would be more satisfied, and you would be getting better nutrition.
    I won't disagree with that, but at the same time I would say it's generally best not to remove foods that you do enjoy from your diet, some people can go cold turkey and be ok then there those of us who just end up binging on 'can't haves'. More nutrition is good, and you may find fiber fills you up better. But there was a time when I used 150-ish calories on coffee in the morning and I don't regret it (people lived :lol: ) and I still lost weight.

• shineyapple
    Options
    My comments aren't suggestions to help you lose weight but to become a little healthier. It looks like for a meal you're either eating some meat and drinking 0 calorie tea, or having a little bit of a low calorie vegetable and eating as many or more calories as the vegetable has in non-nutritious other stuff. You're actually drinking most of your calories, in addition to 10-11 cups of water per day. (You must have to be near a restroom ALL of the time drinking so much!)

You said you drink so much water (and apparently tea, coffee, milk, and cocoa) to stay full. Vegetables have few calories for the volume you get to eat (so you can be full of food instead of liquid), and they have fiber, which is good for your digestive track, regularity, and cholesterol levels. They also have vitamins and minerals that you aren't getting from coffee, cocoa powder, tea bags, and milk. Fruit has a few more calories, but still has vitamins.

It looks like you are getting very little nutrition from your calorie choices. Please consider the nutritional value of the calories you are consuming.

As an example, April 13, dinner:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Nestle - Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 3 Tbsp 45 9 3 3 0 0
    Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 1 cup 122 11 5 8 100 12
    Coffee - French Press - Black, 10 oz 2 0 0 0 5 0
    Generic - Raw Brown Sugar, 4 teaspoon 60 16 0 0 0 16
    Zergut - Russian Style Ikra Zucchini Spread, 60 g 50 4 2 0 300 4
    Hellman's - Mayonaisse, 1 tbsp (13g) 90 0 10 0 90 0
    Vegetable - Celery - Raw, 1 Stalk, Large (11"-12" Long), 6 large stalk 60 12 0 0 306 6
    Quick Tools 429 52 20 12 801 39

Hmm I definitely see your point..But, you are missing the foods i eat almost everyday as well. I always always eat eggs, isn't that extremely nutritious ? Plus, I do eat other vegetables like peppers, cauliflower, cabbage (i love cabbage) its jus that somehow you missed that in my food diary (and there was a long time where I didnt even Log ANYthing! I do get a lot of calories from milk, but I cant help loving milk in my coffee..and cocoa.

Anyways, you are for sure right about maybe me not getting proper nutrients ..its hard because Im a student living on my own. So your advice for me is to eat more vegetables?!
  • shineyapple
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Trying to troubleshoot an issue without having all the facts is never going to work. Pick a reasonable rate of loss, say 1 pound per week. Log accurately for 3 months. Commit to it. For 12 weeks, weigh your food, use accurate database entries, and above all, stick with it. I guarantee you will lose weight. If you haven't lost around the weight you expected at the end of that time period, adjust your calories up (if you lost more than about a pound per week) or down (if you've lost less than about a pound per week).

Forget about mind-logging. That's not a thing.

ETA: I should add that some people are able to properly track their calories without logging, but that's not in your skill set based on your post. An added benefit to consistent logging is that you could learn to do it properly!

I am actually very good at counting calories, I don't ever have to look up the food in order to know. Based on the foods I usually eat, I always know the amount of calories to the amount Im eating. So, I would say that it is in my skill set, I have been doing it for about 3 years. But, maybe you are right, maybe I am not accurate ENOUGH :open_mouth:

Sadly, our brain lies to us. And in some foods that are dense (bread) it may all look the same but actually be off by a good margin. Definitely invest in the food scale and get more serious about your logging! :smile: Weight loss is about the calorie deficit, not necessarily the exercise (though it's good for overall health!).

Yes I know, but I dont even eat bread :( ... but yes, youre right. I am going to get a food scale for sure now!:)
  • shineyapple
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    *Also, please dont judge me about my eating in the beginning, I was stupid i know this now*

Okay I dont really know where to start. I have been trying to lose weight for like 3 years now. Before these 3 years, I lost weight by restricting my calorie intake (to unhealthy levels) and I was pretty active. I lost weight in 6 months i went to 103 lbs. I was all muscle, my measurements were 32-24-32. Eventually, i lost my period and had to gain weight to get it back.

...I think one of my main issues was that when I started losing weight the first time, I stopped eating meat, and never got any protein, so maybe I lost muscle? Only within the past 2 weeks, Ive started to eat meat.

I tried weight training, but I suck at it soo much. I hate lifting weights when I am this weight, because I feel huge and unable to lift. I feel once I get thin and in shape, It would be much easier to work with my body and tone. Right now, I just feel fat.

Yes, when one undereats, one loses muscle. I want to address your statement "unable to lift" - do you mean the lowest weights on the machines are too heavy? Try free weights instead. These should start at 5 pounds. I steal 8s and 12s from the group exercise room and hide them in the free weight rack.

Or are you just comparing yourself to what you used to be able to lift? This is more of your mind messing with you. Start where you are.

Noo I never used to lift really. I have really strong legs, quads, thighs, etc, (i can leg press 300 lbs) but my upper body sucks! Thats why i suck at lifting :( I can barely lift 20/30 lbs for working my triceps o biceps ;(
    People have been telling me to go with free weights and I think thats what I must do..
  • shineyapple
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I won't disagree with that, but at the same time I would say it's generally best not to remove foods that you do enjoy from your diet, some people can go cold turkey and be ok then there those of us who just end up binging on 'can't haves'. More nutrition is good, and you may find fiber fills you up better. But there was a time when I used 150-ish calories on coffee in the morning and I don't regret it (people lived :lol: ) and I still lost weight.

Zucchini spread is definitely real and healthy! :) lots of oils and good fats,,its high in calories but thats bc its mostly fat, but good fat!:)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Losing your period was a severe loud warning that you were doing it wrong. Unfortunately, you elected to regain weight with the worst food choices and you don't yet know how to live at the sweet spot of optimum fitness and health. You are close, though, and you'll get there. One more question: Do you measure your body with a tape measure?
    With as much physical activity as you are doing, you might be slowly redistributing your fat/muscle ratio in a way that doesn't appear on the scale but which the tape measure can capture.

Another thing you seem to obsess about is your body fat %. Get that measured by a medical professional.

One more thing, 5'2" and 145 is. not. fat.

And about that food scale, for people like you with a 500 calorie daily deficit target, a good accurate food scale is indispensable.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm reading your post, and my first reaction was, "This is bigger than layman advice on a forum." From what I'm reading, it's not entirely about just about food and exercise here, but it seems like you've been struggling with what you want your body to do and not being happy with the results, either.

You could be right that you have a medical issue--others have suggested getting that checked out, and it could give you peace of mind, at least. I can tell you from personal experience that, when one loses a lot of weight and doesn't exercise, they will lose some muscle mass. I'm finding I am gaining muscle back, but it's going to take time.
  • shineyapple
    Options
    Losing your period was a severe loud warning that you were doing it wrong. Unfortunately, you elected to regain weight with the worst food choices and you don't yet know how to live at the sweet spot of optimum fitness and health. You are close, though, and you'll get there. One more question: Do you measure your body with a tape measure?
    With as much physical activity as you are doing, you might be slowly redistributing your fat/muscle ratio in a way that doesn't appear on the scale but which the tape measure can capture.

Another thing you seem to obsess about is your body fat %. Get that measured by a medical professional.

One more thing, 5'2" and 145 is. not. fat.

And about that food scale, for people like you with a 500 calorie daily deficit target, a good accurate food scale is indispensable.

Hmm yeah it seems like you are right. You mean I am gaining muscle in more areas of my body? It could be true, because I look much different than when I was last year, but somehow I weigh almost the same i think. I dont exactly know because i rarely weighed myself when I gained weight, only at certain points.
  • shineyapple
    edited April 2016
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    OP, I'm reading your post, and my first reaction was, "This is bigger than layman advice on a forum." From what I'm reading, it's not entirely about just about food and exercise here, but it seems like you've been struggling with what you want your body to do and not being happy with the results, either.

You could be right that you have a medical issue--others have suggested getting that checked out, and it could give you peace of mind, at least. I can tell you from personal experience that, when one loses a lot of weight and doesn't exercise, they will lose some muscle mass. I'm finding I am gaining muscle back, but it's going to take time.

Yes I am definitely fighting with my body constantly. I just find it extremely strange that I eat no bad foods, no wheat, no carbs (even potatoes, sometimes I eat sweet potatos), i eat vegetables, proteins, good fats, drink plenty of green tea, water, etc, and I exercise, yet still my body does not want to change :( The most frustrating annoying thing ever. Probably the hardest thing Ive ever had to do in life, and STILL doing it I guess. I think I do need to get a food scale, and also a doctors app), but I have no doctor, so I will get one!