not lossing weight???

I eat 1100 calories a day and burn 687 calories a day according to my fitness pal, why am I not losing weight

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Your diary is closed, so it's hard to tell why you aren't losing weight. Often when people don't lose as expected it is because of logging issues (that is, you're eating more than you think you are) or they aren't being patient (expecting to lose weight right away).
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    You're eating as many calories as you burn or more. You could be eating more than you think if you're not measuring and weighing everything and instead using generic entries such as cups or things like '1 medium banana', '1 baked potato', etc. If you're eating back exercise calories it's possible you're overestimating how many you've burnt as MFP tends to give you way too many calories back for anything. A good place to start is to eat half back and then adjust slightly in either direction depending on how it affects your weight.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    I would make an appointment with a doctor if you have been doing this since Sept 2015
  • R3dWillow89
    R3dWillow89 Posts: 3 Member
    Might not be eating enough. If your body thinks its starving it will try and store everything it gets instead of burning it as energy.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition that would cause this, you are eatting more calories than you are burning in a day.

xthb5m7mf94x.jpeg
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Weigh all foods to be certain of calorie count.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    We'd really need to see your diary to get a better idea. Best things to do is as the chart says, make sure you are logging daily, and as accurately as you can (including weighing your food (for 100% accuracy).
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    How long have you been eating "1100 calories" and burning that much in exercise?
    Do you weigh your food with a food scale? Do you use generic entries? How are you calculating your exercise burns?
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    You're probably not logging your food correctly, and you're probably relying too heavily on the MFP database being accurate. Most people starting out with MFP think that everything it says is true, but it's not.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,244 Member
    You're eating way more than 1100. No magic here.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Might not be eating enough. If your body thinks its starving it will try and store everything it gets instead of burning it as energy.

Missed this article the other day I think - Starvation Mode: Is It A Myth? Is It Real? Is Your Body In It Right Now?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,244 Member

Ah, so that's way all these holocaust prisoners are so fat then...
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    uh-oh... :o here it comes...

**grabs popcorn**

Don't worry, I've logged it.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    are you eating enough? don't put your body into starve mode. you wont lose anything.
  • Ninkyou
    draco706 wrote: »
    are you eating enough? don't put your body into starve mode. you wont lose anything.

Did you even bother to read the replies? No? Maybe you should.

That's a myth.
  • kelisueray
    kelisueray Posts: 78 Member
    edited April 2016
    After seeing so many of these questions asked on MFP and the type of comments they receive - I automatically think anyone asking this question is a troll.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    I know starvation mode is a myth that, for some reason, circulates more than other weight loss fallacies, but I don't understand why so many people actually believe it. All it takes is to think for just one moment about people who die from starvation. When you see starving people, they are not holding a bunch of fat. They are not overweight by any means. Why do people believe that if they tone their eating down a notch, the same eating that caused them to be overweight to begin with, that their body will freak out and go into "starvation mode". Granted eating 1000 calories is a bad idea due to health problems, but 1000 calories is by no means starving. Also most people who think they're eating 1000 calories are actually eating much more than that.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Draco, please look at the article that Afura linked above to debunk the "starvation mode" thing. The body does not work like that.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    You are eating more than you think..... sigh sooo many of these threads....
  • Ninkyou
    synacious wrote: »
    I know starvation mode is a myth that, for some reason, circulates more than other weight loss fallacies, but I don't understand why so many people actually believe it. All it takes is to think for just one moment about people who die from starvation. When you see starving people, they are not holding a bunch of fat. They are not overweight by any means. Why do people believe that if they tone their eating down a notch, the same eating that caused them to be overweight to begin with, that their body will freak out and go into "starvation mode". Granted eating 1000 calories is a bad idea due to health problems, but 1000 calories is by no means starving. Also most people who think they're eating 1000 calories are actually eating much more than that.

I think it's because people want to believe they're doing everything right and yet, for some unknown reason, are not losing weight. It's the special snowflake syndrome. It's not working, so there MUST be some outside cause. Unfortunately, science dictates otherwise.
  • R3dWillow89
    R3dWillow89 Posts: 3 Member
    Lol.. everyone is different...its not a myth to me.. If i dont eat at least 1500 to 1700 than i stop losing weight.. I was trying to eat that low once to lose weight faster but it completely stopped until i started eating a little bit more.. I workout 4 times a week and weigh all my food.. Maybe it dont work that way in a lot of people but for some it really does no matter what some article says.. I dont know what this person looks like.. Height, weight, etc.. But if they are a bigger person (280 or more) they should be eating more than 1100 a day anyways. But if they are a smaller person than ya they might just be not weighing their food and overeating not realizing it.. It just depends on the person .. Not everyone is the same.. Not everyones body works the same.. Heck they might just be retaining water for all we know lol
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    These are my really general tips:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so since you last saw a drop on the scale, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    kelisueray wrote: »
    After seeing so many of these questions asked on MFP and the type of comments they receive - I automatically think anyone asking this question is a troll.

I feel the same way... "I eat nothing every day, and run 12 marathons a week, yet, I'm at my heaviest of 700 pounds!"

;)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Lol.. everyone is different...its not a myth to me.. If i dont eat at least 1500 to 1700 than i stop losing weight.. I was trying to eat that low once to lose weight faster but it completely stopped until i started eating a little bit more.. I workout 4 times a week and weigh all my food.. Maybe it dont work that way in a lot of people but for some it really does no matter what some article says.. I dont know what this person looks like.. Height, weight, etc.. But if they are a bigger person (280 or more) they should be eating more than 1100 a day anyways. But if they are a smaller person than ya they might just be not weighing their food and overeating not realizing it.. It just depends on the person .. Not everyone is the same.. Not everyones body works the same.. Heck they might just be retaining water for all we know lol

Unfortunately, most people (like 99%) who post that they are eating a very low calorie amount and are not losing, are really eating more than they think due to logging errors. So telling them they should eat more is irresponsible advise unless we know if the calorie number they are throwing around is accurate. First they have to make sure their logging is on point.

Starvation mode IS a myth. Some people when they try to eat too little, may become lethargic without realizing it and move around alot less, thereby canceling out the calories they are saving and balancing out the CICO equation which causes them not to lose weight. It's not that the body panics and stores fat. If your body does do that for some reason, you are very very unique. People who are actually starving do not go through a measurable period of time where they hold onto weight - there aren't starving pudgy people whose bodies are desperately trying to hold onto fat.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member

NO.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Lol.. everyone is different...its not a myth to me..

No, no one is immune from actual starvation. That's what you seem to be claiming if you magically cannot lose weight if you eat less than 1500 calories.

People do sometimes lose better by eating more, since they are more active/more energetic and also less prone to slipping up and eating a whole bunch and often able to log more accurately when aiming for a more sustainable goal.