This is going to be very complicated to whoever wants to help me.. :)

Options
13»

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    You gained muscle while losing your period?
    I went through a stretch of time where I purposely ate as little as I could get away with, making sure to weigh foods and such, and ended up losing a lot of weight, fat and muscle. I too lost my period for around a year.

Personally, I've been eating plenty of carbs, proteins, vegetables, fats, and "bad foods", and find that I lose weight without problems. Accurate logging is key. Get some blood work done if you really think a medical condition could be a problem.

Before weights, I would consider a light bodyweight program to gain some strength back.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    whilst drinking water is good for you, drinking far more water than you are losing is not and can cause water poisoning
  • shineyapple
    shineyapple Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi Shineyapple, thanks for posting this lots of great advice in this thread! I agree with everyone that accurate measuring and logging is the most important thing you can do to lose weight.

I also agree with oocdc2 that it seems a bit bigger than a forum can address, so I add my voice to those recommending you see a professional. You will lose weight if you follow the measuring and logging advice here, but it might be less painful for you if you get some professional advice.

One other thing you may want to think about is the concept of “bad” foods. There are really no bad foods, just foods that are more or less nutritious, and foods that might be bad for certain people. For example, processed cane sugar isn’t “bad” by itself, but might be bad for a diabetic to eat. Certainly there are foods you want to eat in moderation, or avoid because they are just not nutritious, but the food itself isn’t bad.

Is it possible you have eliminated a food as bad, and restricted your diet a little too much? So you are maybe not giving your body what it needs and that is why you feel like you are fighting it all the time.

You could be very right, because I know i have a restrictive diet. One thing though is that if I eat something that I consider "bad" (for example i know oatmeal is not bad, its the complete opposite, but its high in carbs and its a grain, STILL, i feel immediately like I gain weight! and yes, of course, you would think Im crazy, because its impossible! a lb of fat is 3500 calories, so its impossible. BUT, I feel if I eat this food everyday, i gain weight! It really sucks! i dont think its all in my head, really! I notice my face gets plumper :(...i notice every little change in my body its crazy! So, i have to be very very strict myself, and yes have "bad" foods.

So, i feel like its realllyyy reallyyyyyyy hard for me to properly lose weight, but EXtremely easy for me to gain. :worried: I just dont know what "professional" I could go to ..i guess a doctor or dietician ?! Thank you for your help by the way:)

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    *Also, please dont judge me about my eating in the beginning, I was stupid i know this now*

Okay I dont really know where to start. I have been trying to lose weight for like 3 years now. Before these 3 years, I lost weight by restricting my calorie intake (to unhealthy levels) and I was pretty active. I lost weight in 6 months i went to 103 lbs. I was all muscle, my measurements were 32-24-32. Eventually, i lost my period and had to gain weight to get it back.

...I think one of my main issues was that when I started losing weight the first time, I stopped eating meat, and never got any protein, so maybe I lost muscle? Only within the past 2 weeks, Ive started to eat meat.

I tried weight training, but I suck at it soo much. I hate lifting weights when I am this weight, because I feel huge and unable to lift. I feel once I get thin and in shape, It would be much easier to work with my body and tone. Right now, I just feel fat.

Yes, when one undereats, one loses muscle. I want to address your statement "unable to lift" - do you mean the lowest weights on the machines are too heavy? Try free weights instead. These should start at 5 pounds. I steal 8s and 12s from the group exercise room and hide them in the free weight rack.

Or are you just comparing yourself to what you used to be able to lift? This is more of your mind messing with you. Start where you are.

Noo I never used to lift really. I have really strong legs, quads, thighs, etc, (i can leg press 300 lbs) but my upper body sucks! Thats why i suck at lifting :( I can barely lift 20/30 lbs for working my triceps o biceps ;(
    People have been telling me to go with free weights and I think thats what I must do..

20/30 lb dumbbells for a bicep curl or tricep isolation exercise is not a low weight for most beginner/untrained/detrained lifters so your example doesn't really hold up. You get stronger as you progress. Just like anything else in life, practice leads to improvement.
  • shineyapple
    shineyapple Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    *Also, please dont judge me about my eating in the beginning, I was stupid i know this now*

Okay I dont really know where to start. I have been trying to lose weight for like 3 years now. Before these 3 years, I lost weight by restricting my calorie intake (to unhealthy levels) and I was pretty active. I lost weight in 6 months i went to 103 lbs. I was all muscle, my measurements were 32-24-32. Eventually, i lost my period and had to gain weight to get it back.

...I think one of my main issues was that when I started losing weight the first time, I stopped eating meat, and never got any protein, so maybe I lost muscle? Only within the past 2 weeks, Ive started to eat meat.

I tried weight training, but I suck at it soo much. I hate lifting weights when I am this weight, because I feel huge and unable to lift. I feel once I get thin and in shape, It would be much easier to work with my body and tone. Right now, I just feel fat.

Yes, when one undereats, one loses muscle. I want to address your statement "unable to lift" - do you mean the lowest weights on the machines are too heavy? Try free weights instead. These should start at 5 pounds. I steal 8s and 12s from the group exercise room and hide them in the free weight rack.

Or are you just comparing yourself to what you used to be able to lift? This is more of your mind messing with you. Start where you are.

Noo I never used to lift really. I have really strong legs, quads, thighs, etc, (i can leg press 300 lbs) but my upper body sucks! Thats why i suck at lifting :( I can barely lift 20/30 lbs for working my triceps o biceps ;(
    People have been telling me to go with free weights and I think thats what I must do..

20/30 lb dumbbells for a bicep curl or tricep isolation exercise is not a low weight for most beginner/untrained/detrained lifters so your example doesn't really hold up. You get stronger as you progress. Just like anything else in life, practice leads to improvement.

nono I meant 20/30 lbs just for machines, not dumbells. Is there a huge difference in dumbbells?:)
  • bimsboms
    bimsboms Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Its simple as CICO (calories in calories out). Add me for motivated pal
  • GeekOnADiet
    GeekOnADiet Posts: 12 Member
    Options

So, i feel like its realllyyy reallyyyyyyy hard for me to properly lose weight, but EXtremely easy for me to gain. :worried: I just dont know what "professional" I could go to ..i guess a doctor or dietician ?! Thank you for your help by the way:)

You are welcome! And yes, that is what I meant by professional, a doctor or nutritionist. I'm not totally sure either! Something like that. Good luck and add me if you want a motivation friend.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    OP, I'm reading your post, and my first reaction was, "This is bigger than layman advice on a forum." From what I'm reading, it's not entirely about just about food and exercise here, but it seems like you've been struggling with what you want your body to do and not being happy with the results, either.

You could be right that you have a medical issue--others have suggested getting that checked out, and it could give you peace of mind, at least. I can tell you from personal experience that, when one loses a lot of weight and doesn't exercise, they will lose some muscle mass. I'm finding I am gaining muscle back, but it's going to take time.

Yes I am definitely fighting with my body constantly. I just find it extremely strange that I eat no bad foods, no wheat, no carbs (even potatoes, sometimes I eat sweet potatos), i eat vegetables, proteins, good fats, drink plenty of green tea, water, etc, and I exercise, yet still my body does not want to change :( The most frustrating annoying thing ever. Probably the hardest thing Ive ever had to do in life, and STILL doing it I guess. I think I do need to get a food scale, and also a doctors app), but I have no doctor, so I will get one!

Part of your problem is that you're labeling food 'good' and 'bad'. Food is food and you can gain weight eating 'good' foods if you're eating over your maintenance calorie levels. In order to lose weight you must eat at a calorie deficit and it doesn't matter what foods those calories come from.

It seems like you've been focusing on the wrong thing-putting foods in different boxes and only eating the ones you think are the correct ones to eat, but for weight loss you need to focus on eating less calories. Period.

Focus on eating all the foods you enjoy (no need to cut anything out ), track your food intake, accurately figure out portion sizes (food scale), and stay within your calorie parameters (MFP will figure this out for you). That's all you need to do, in order to be successful at this :)
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Your relationship with food is extreme at times. You would benefit seeing an eating disorders therapist. There is an eating disorders therapist in my family. She works specially with women. Losing weight is not just about counting calories. If it was that easy no one would have a weight problem. There are psychological issues that create unhealthy relationships with food. For women especially. Usually occurring after a traumatic event that could have occurred as early as childhood.
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You asked me to clarify my advice to you. No, I am not saying "eat more vegetables to lose weight" because you don't have to eat a particular food or type of food to lose weight. Also, my advice was not about losing weight, even though that was your question.

What I was trying to suggest: remember that the calories that are going into your body are the fuel that your body will use to function. Food keeps you alive and is not the enemy. You are eating a small amount of calories every day in an attempt to lose weight. Makes sense. However, this means that every calorie you eat is more important to your overall nutritional picture than someone eating twice as many calories than you. If you *consider* the nutritional value of the calories you are choosing and perhaps choose nutritious food rather than liquids, you *may* feel better, experience feeling full with food rather than water, and be a bit healthier. I mentioned vegetables as an example of nutritious food because they generally have few calories and high fiber and vitamins . I didn't want to suggest high-calorie foods that couldn't fit in your plan, but there are MANY nutritious foods that aren't vegetables.

Best wishes to you.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Most folks have mentioned logging accurately and stick with the tried and true methods, but I think the bigger problem is your mindset. 110 pounds for 5'4" woman is UNDER-weight. You should probably see a mental health professional and perhaps a dietician.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Hi Shineyapple, thanks for posting this lots of great advice in this thread! I agree with everyone that accurate measuring and logging is the most important thing you can do to lose weight.

I also agree with oocdc2 that it seems a bit bigger than a forum can address, so I add my voice to those recommending you see a professional. You will lose weight if you follow the measuring and logging advice here, but it might be less painful for you if you get some professional advice.

One other thing you may want to think about is the concept of “bad” foods. There are really no bad foods, just foods that are more or less nutritious, and foods that might be bad for certain people. For example, processed cane sugar isn’t “bad” by itself, but might be bad for a diabetic to eat. Certainly there are foods you want to eat in moderation, or avoid because they are just not nutritious, but the food itself isn’t bad.

Is it possible you have eliminated a food as bad, and restricted your diet a little too much? So you are maybe not giving your body what it needs and that is why you feel like you are fighting it all the time.

You could be very right, because I know i have a restrictive diet. One thing though is that if I eat something that I consider "bad" (for example i know oatmeal is not bad, its the complete opposite, but its high in carbs and its a grain, STILL, i feel immediately like I gain weight! and yes, of course, you would think Im crazy, because its impossible! a lb of fat is 3500 calories, so its impossible. BUT, I feel if I eat this food everyday, i gain weight! It really sucks! i dont think its all in my head, really! I notice my face gets plumper :(...i notice every little change in my body its crazy! So, i have to be very very strict myself, and yes have "bad" foods.

The bolded. This smacks of body dysmorphia. Unless you have an extreme food intolerance that is causing swelling due to an extreme reaction (anaphylaxis, which would require urgent hospital treatment) then you are completely imagining it. I think your issues run far deeper than just inaccurate logging or poor excuses not to do upper body strength training (and FYI, I curl about 21lbs and it's taken a while to get there and I'm no weakling!).

You need professional help I think, your thoughts around food, your body and exercise come across as incredibly disordered.