Any advice for someone who hates exercise ?

Options
I hate exercise and have failed to fing anything that i enjoy any advice?

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    make a deficit with food only
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Walk
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Learn to like it. It's not bad. Getting strong and fit let's you make other things in life a breeze.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    + Go Low carb high fat
    + walk to do your groceries
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    + Go Low carb high fat
    + walk to do your groceries

Lchf isn't special. You can go lfhc and get similar results.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You don't really NEED to exercise... but it is a very good idea. Not for weight loss, you could do that in other ways, but for overall physical fitness.

You don't need to be crazy about it, either. My scheduled exercise is slightly under 3 hours per week (about 50 minutes x 3 days). Beyond that, I often do things I enjoy, like taking walks, but I do this for pleasure, not for the fact I feel like I need to.

Sports in general are a great way to build fitness and do something fun - do you like any in particular? I'm personally fond of tennis, but pick something you like, and find groups in your area that like the same thing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

What is it you don't enjoy?

In the absence of anything useful you're just going to get the thread of random nonsense tbh
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What is it you don't enjoy?

In the absence of anything useful you're just going to get the thread of random nonsense tbh

Agreed.

What don't you like about exercise?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Learn to like it. It's not bad. Getting strong and fit let's you make other things in life a breeze.

I agree with this
    i still havent found anything i love, but what i love is the feeling of being stronger and fit. Not being out of breath after a few seconds of doing not much. Also if its the sweating issue, it comes out in the shower
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise per say, but I try and walk as much as possible and I've started cycling to town rather than driving. Just need to incorporate it into your day. Walk up stairs rather than using the elevator, etc. Get a fit bit as it will encourage you more.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I hated exercise a long time ago. When you push through to let your body adapt and your life becomes empowered then you have a reason to keep doing it. If you don't step into action and push through to that point it will remain drudgery.
  • Dula73
    Dula73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I keep motivated by exercising with friends a couple of times a week and through that got into doing it on my own.

Also I respond well when I can monitor my progress - lifting weights and I completed C25k. When I can actively record my progress (adding weight or reps and running a bit further each time) I find it more satisfying than doing a class.
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    Eating at a calorie defeciet for sure, and then try to do things like go for long walks or go hiking or bike riding. All are great excersize even if you don't look at them as such.
  • sophiemaecoates1996
    Options
    heyaberg wrote: »
    I hated exercise as well - Used to donate to my gym every month.
    I accidentally stumbled into a pole dancing class and now I'm hooked. It's the most fun I've ever had and because of it I'm now showing up to the gym to get more strength for the more advanced moves :D
    Try to find something you love, try pole dancing, ballet, ballroom dancing or what ever you think you might enjoy :D

I have never really thought outside the box its defintly something i would consider :)
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    Also I do second what someone else said above. I used to HATE excersizing until I started forcing myself to go to the gym, and now I just love how it makes me feel! I feel myself getting stronger and now I challenge myself every time to do the stationary bike faster or lift heavier. On days that I don't go to the gym I feel sluggish. And if someone had said that I'd feel that way just 6 months ago I would have laughed!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You can be active without formal exercise. Clean your house; make those baseboards shine! Do yard work. Garden. Mow. Rake. Things like this aren't fun either, but at least you can enjoy the results.
  • sophiemaecoates1996
    Options
    Also I do second what someone else said above. I used to HATE excersizing until I started forcing myself to go to the gym, and now I just love how it makes me feel! I feel myself getting stronger and now I challenge myself every time to do the stationary bike faster or lift heavier. On days that I don't go to the gym I feel sluggish. And if someone had said that I'd feel that way just 6 months ago I would have laughed!

I suppose its just that though of going outside of my comfort zone and the thought of people staring at me while working out but then we r all there for the same reason i guess
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Right now I wake up every morning and say "I'm not going to the gym. Nooooooooo!" But my gym clothes are laid out, and I put them on and I go. I used to be really into how the endorphins felt when I worked out, but I'm not there yet this time around. What I DO love? The numbers on the scale getting smaller. I also loved that this morning, taking a walk with my dog was relaxing rather than a chore.

Do you like to dance? Would you dance alone at home to your favorite tunes? Could you get some ankle and wrist weights and use them when you go to the grocery store? I promise, you will feel so much better when you get into an active routine. You just have to get over the hump.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

I suppose its just that though of going outside of my comfort zone and the thought of people staring at me while working out but then we r all there for the same reason i guess

You can get equipment and work out at home if it's the social aspect you don't like.

Or, again, pick any of the other forms of physical activity that aren't the gym - take up a sport or a physical hobby like walking, running, hiking, etc. Lots of very fun and relaxing ways to get active. It doesn't have to be standing on a machine in a giant row of people all staring at the wall.