Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does a high fat diet reduce cholesterol numbers?

Replies

• willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Almost half the patients hospitalized with coronary artery disease have LDL levels <100 mg/dL

http://www.ahjonline.com/article/S0002-8703(08)00717-5/abstract

Maybe thats why HDL is part of the key ratios. 10% had HDL > 60, and 1% a combination of low LDL and high HDL.

Indeed, More than half the patients have admission HDL levels <40 mg/dL, whereas <10% have HDL ≥60 mg/dL.

We should also note that " Before admission, only 28,944 (21.1%) patients were receiving lipid-lowering medications. "

GPs use Risk calculators not single variables. My HDL of 70 keeps the doctor at bay.

In an environment with poor endothelial function Hdl does not function properly thereby negating the effects of everyone's high Hdl, in a nutshell it's function that matters not the amount.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member

I kinda agree with this commenter (specifically the Cholestrol/HDL):-
    meg
    March 16 2
    Your current cholesterol is 26% HIGHER this year than when you started LCHF.

Your triglycerides are 43% higher. Your HDL (Helathy) cholesterol is LOWER, but your LDL (Unhealthy) is nearly 50% HIGHER.

Your fasting glucose is also higher than when you started LCHF, and at 97 you're still at the high end of normal. You're only 2 points below pre-diabetes.

Although your labs are all still within the normal range, I would expect all those numbers to go down. Mine did when I was eating low-carb, although I wasn't eating high fat. My test results improved enough that I was taken off cholesterol medication completely.

What your test results show is simply that your labs stayed within normal levels over a span of time, but that can also happen with a low-fat diet. You didn't show significant improvement in any areas, and some got worse.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    his Total cholesterol/HDL has indeed gone up, he is 10 years older after all, but he's still on the axis of the risk chart at 3.1. No panic there.

huk_riskcharts_men.jpg
  • 20yearsyounger
    I guess so when you look at the absolute number.I would have expected a better trend to match his bottom variables. I really don't have anything to compare his to other than my own 10 years of result data. My trend is for the better. However, as you said, he is still in range so it's mute anyway when it comes to choice of diet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    Here's a study that might meet the OP's spec except it went the wrong way - they reduced fat content in the diet stepwise while maintaining calorie levels and exchanging fat for carbs. After a controlled spell they went onto ad-lib low fat (15% F) from the controlled feeding, and lost weight. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/6/1439.full.pdf

Triglycerides went up 35% with reducing fat, and HDL cholesterol fell 15%. LDL cholesterol fell 6% when fat went from 35 to 15%. CVD risk factors got worse by reducing the fat content and replacing with carbohydrate.

I guess the prevailing lipophobia makes it difficult to run a similar increasing fat trial.

Funny, these results have been known for decades but until recently people are better understanding what they actually mean. Basically lowering TC is meaningless without context. Nice links mate.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2016
    I don't think this article from The Journal of Nutrition was linked yet: A Ketogenic Diet Favorably Affects Serum Biomarkers for Cardiovascular Disease in Normal-Weight Men It's just a short term study.

From what I have learned, LCHF tends to raise HDL, lower triglycerides, and have little affect on LDL numbers but it may rise in some - those LDL measures usually switch to the healthier pattern a so an increase can be good.

This is not true for all, but it appears to be true for most. My guess is that higher carb eaters who already focus on veggies and some fruits would already have a good lipid panel and that thos who switched fom a diet containing sugar and grains would see greater improvements.

The minority who have their blood lipids go up with a high cholesterol diet would not fit this trend either.
  • 20yearsyounger
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I don't think this article from The Journal of Nutrition was linked yet: A Ketogenic Diet Favorably Affects Serum Biomarkers for Cardiovascular Disease in Normal-Weight Men It's just a short term study.

From what I have learned, LCHF tends to raise HDL, lower triglycerides, and have little affect on LDL numbers but it may rise in some - those LDL measures usually switch to the healthier pattern a so an increase can be good.

This is not true for all, but it appears to be true for most. My guess is that higher carb eaters who already focus on veggies and some fruits would already have a good lipid panel and that thos who switched fom a diet containing sugar and grains would see greater improvements.

The minority who have their blood lipids go up with a high cholesterol diet would not fit this trend either.

This is a good one as its for normal weight. It looks like the total stayed the same as well which would make the total/hdl ratio higher (better).
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2016
    Man, the posted triglyceride numbers make mine look down right terrifying! My last numbers were

Triglyceride 417 mg/dL -Standard Range 0 - 150 mg/dL
    Triglyceride is greater than 400. LDL Calculation is invalid and cannot be reported.

Cholesterol- 184 mg/dL -Standard Range 7 - 200 mg/dL
    HDL Chol- 24 mg/dL -Standard Range 40 - 200 mg/dL
    T Chol/HDL Ratio- 7.7 Standard Range<5.0
    Non HDL Cholesterol- 160 mg/dL -Standard Range 0 - 130 mg/dLTotal

Pretty interesting that your total Cholesterol remains so low. I assume this is without medication?

Yes that is without medication. My very low HDL and super high triglycerides are what have her (my doc) concerned. I go for a follow up in a couple weeks to see if I have lowered them.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Man, the posted triglyceride numbers make mine look down right terrifying! My last numbers were

Triglyceride is greater than 400. LDL Calculation is invalid and cannot be reported.

Pretty interesting that your total Cholesterol remains so low. I assume this is without medication?

Yes that is without medication. My very low HDL and super high triglycerides are what have her (my doc) concerned. I go for a follow up in a couple weeks to see if I have lowered them.

would you say that you have a high body fat? 35%+
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited April 2016

@Wickedfaery73 my low HDL doubled and high Triglycerides dropped by 75% in the first 12 months I was off of sugar and all grains. That was just my experience and do not know why but it does give this old man some peace of mind to have lowered my risk of premature death per research I have read. Hope your next test comes out fine.

There was another 30 pounds of weight loss when carbs dropped < 50 grams daily during that 12 month period.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited April 2016
    After I little cursory research, I found the following information from Dr. Sarah Hallberg.

In her LCHF practice, she says about 1/3 of patients on a low carb diet will see a rise in their LDL (even with lots of other beneficial changes to A1C, insulin sensitivity, weight, etc). Upon closer investigation, with a nuclear magnetic resonance lipid panel, most will have a healthy pattern of mostly large LDL particle and few small, dense LDL particles. However, there is a small subset of people who will actually get a rise in the small, dense LDL particles.

There is evidence that suggests, 1. these small, dense LDL (aka LDL-p) actually have a lower residence time in the body on a LCHF and are circulated faster, reducing the risk associated with oxidative stress and 2. these increases might be r/t rapid weightloss and mobilization of fat and will even out after maintenance weight is achieved. Also, from what I can tell by the biochemistry she explains in the video, it may be that some people (maybe due to the fact that they have been insulin resistant for so long and are metabolically deranged) actually need more insulin that the average person to down-regulate the production of VLDL. What do you think @jquizzle10 ?

However, the question remains unanswered for now--they are conducting a study now (as described in the video link below). When speaking of risk factors for cardiovascular disease, the greatest risk factor is insulin resistance, not LDL or even LDL-p; so with a LCHF you are definitely lowering your overall coronary risk factors. But we do need more information, and for now those 1-2% of patients who get an unfavorable lipid pattern may need to tweak their diets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8jUmCe3zDs

EDIT: just had a thought, on a side note, intermittent fasting may benefit these patients considering VLDL is created by the liver primarily from dietary fat!
  • Wickedfaery73
    edited April 2016

Probably, I weighed 214lbs when the test was done. And I am very jiggly =D
  • 20yearsyounger

Probably, I weighed 214lbs when the test was done.

Well, you're on MFP for a reason. Hopefully you are one of those people that once they drop weight, these types of things disappear. You might even be healthier than most.
  • Wickedfaery73
    I sure hope so! I didn't go to the doctor much the last time I lost all this weight. So I don't know what my levels were when I was at a healthy weight. (There's been issues getting complete records transferred. )

I used a different website to track the last time, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it. I like MFP better anyway because of the forums. The last forums I frequented were on WebMD I think.
  • jquizzle10
    jquizzle10 Posts: 18 Member
    @aqsylvester I'm more interested in how compelling the data is regarding cardiovascular risk related to LDL particle composition. If the risk is questionable, why chase an unconfirmed hypothesis (i.e. blood lipid composition) at the expense of a known hazard (i.e. insulin resistance)?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Hrvard medical school does not consider lchf the most beneficial choice: http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/low-fat-low-carb-or-mediterranean-which-diet-is-right-for-you
    American heart assiciation still recommends not overdoing it in fat and limiting saturated fat: https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Know-Your-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp?appName=MobileApp
    I am sure someone will post about them giving outdated advice, however I am also guessing that they have google, access to medical studies, access to research we do not even know exists yet, and can actually interpret these results better than the average poster here.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    edited April 2016
    If you stay within the same daily calories?
    Please provide links.
    I want exact info that shows daily caloric info and changes in cholesterol numbers.
    Not just sites stating that if you replace the SAD junk food diet with this, well,, of coarse.
    Info on diets like the mediterranean, or vegetarian diet vs high fat diet would be nice.
    Which is better for cholesterol?

NO, a high fat diet INCREASED my cholesterol. This happened when I started eating low carb, high fat paleo. Prior to going paleo, I had normal labs. This was the first time I had dodgy labs.

On low carb, high fat paleo, I was eating 1500-1700 cals, was around 145 lbs, I'm 5' 4.5". I was mostly sedentary.
    Total Cholesterol - 287 (should be <200)
    LDL - 203 (should be <100)
    HDL - 65 (should be >39)
    Triglycerides - 95 (should be <125)

Last June, I changed my diet to a plant-based diet, low fat (10%) and high carb (75%). I had become more active, was eating about 1700-2000 cals and at the time of my blood test, I was about 135 lbs.
    Total Cholesterol - 168 (down 41%)
    LDL - 108 (down 47%)
    HDL - 46
    Triglycerides - 71

So, considering the difference in weight between the two tests was only about 10 lbs, and the calorie intake wasn't vastly different, the improvement in cholesterol can be attributed to reducing fat. Exercise also probably helped. I was previously eating a lot of meat, milk, cheese, eggs and used olive oil when cooking. Now I avoid using oil when cooking and have cut waaay back on animal foods. I still eat chocolates and ice cream as I did before though.

Again, with my n=1 study. I actually kept dietary fat intake the SAME before and after the two tests below, which were 3-4 weeks apart. The difference was that I switched from full-fat dairy, a moderate amount of meat (with fat on), but no refined carbohydrate/starches, to no meat, non-fat dairy, one or two fish and egg meals a week and fats primarily from vegetable sources (seeds, nuts). I added in at least one serving of tofu or tempeh per day, and took Benecol chews.

Before:
    Total 301
    HDL 93
    LDL 202
    Tri 32

After:
    Total 200
    HDL 78
    LDL 115
    Tri 35

Weight didn't change (I'd already lost the weight and was normal weight), and neither did exercise.

I essentially switched from a whole foods diet (including meat and dairy and whole grains and vegetables), to whole foods pescatarian (with non-fat dairy only). I've since reduced the amount of fish and eggs (simply from choice), so will have to see what my numbers are like in about a month.

However, this does suggest that at least for me, the source of dietary fats makes a significant difference.
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    Whoa!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Please provide links.
    I want exact info that shows daily caloric info and changes in cholesterol numbers.
    Not just sites stating that if you replace the SAD junk food diet with this, well,, of coarse.
    Info on diets like the mediterranean, or vegetarian diet vs high fat diet would be nice.

NO, a high fat diet INCREASED my cholesterol. This happened when I started eating low carb, high fat paleo. Prior to going paleo, I had normal labs. This was the first time I had dodgy labs.

On low carb, high fat paleo, I was eating 1500-1700 cals, was around 145 lbs, I'm 5' 4.5". I was mostly sedentary.
    HDL - 65 (should be >39)

Last June, I changed my diet to a plant-based diet, low fat (10%) and high carb (75%). I had become more active, was eating about 1700-2000 cals and at the time of my blood test, I was about 135 lbs.
    LDL - 108 (down 47%)
    HDL - 46
    Triglycerides - 71

So, considering the difference in weight between the two tests was only about 10 lbs, and the calorie intake wasn't vastly different, the improvement in cholesterol can be attributed to reducing fat. Exercise also probably helped. I was previously eating a lot of meat, milk, cheese, eggs and used olive oil when cooking. Now I avoid using oil when cooking and have cut waaay back on animal foods. I still eat chocolates and ice cream as I did before though.

Again, with my n=1 study. I actually kept dietary fat intake the SAME before and after the two tests below, which were 3-4 weeks apart. The difference was that I switched from full-fat dairy, a moderate amount of meat (with fat on), but no refined carbohydrate/starches, to no meat, non-fat dairy, one or two fish and egg meals a week and fats primarily from vegetable sources (seeds, nuts). I added in at least one serving of tofu or tempeh per day, and took Benecol chews.

Before:
    Total 301
    HDL 93
    LDL 202
    Tri 32

After:
    Total 200
    HDL 78
    LDL 115
    Tri 35

Weight didn't change (I'd already lost the weight and was normal weight), and neither did exercise.

I essentially switched from a whole foods diet (including meat and dairy and whole grains and vegetables), to whole foods pescatarian (with non-fat dairy only). I've since reduced the amount of fish and eggs (simply from choice), so will have to see what my numbers are like in about a month.

However, this does suggest that at least for me, the source of dietary fats makes a significant difference.

But you started taking Benecol chews. Those are designed to lower cholesterol. Why couldn't the drop be largely because of the chews?
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    Please provide links.

HDL - 65 (should be >39)

LDL - 108 (down 47%)
    HDL - 46
    Triglycerides - 71

Before:
    Total 301
    HDL 93
    LDL 202
    Tri 32

After:
    Total 200
    HDL 78
    LDL 115
    Tri 35

But you started taking Benecol chews. Those are designed to lower cholesterol. Why couldn't the drop be largely because of the chews?

Yes. Absolutely, it's possible. It's equally possible that the chews had absolutely no impact whatsoever, and I was wasting my money. LOL. I won't know for another year. I plan on stopping the chews after the next test in a month, and then I'll know their impact when I have my physical the year after.

Having said that, I'm skeptical that the entirety of the decline in LDL is due to the chews rather than an unknown combination of the chews AND switching to fats from nuts, seeds and a bit of olive oil.

It's also possible that it's not the saturated fat at all, but something else, like the animal protein intake. Comparing a random day from over a year ago, I consumed over 100g protein, and 20g saturated fat. Currently, my protein intake is nearer half that and all plant-based, and it's a rare day my saturated fat makes it to 10g. I'm less interested in the saturated fat v protein argument rather than finding a way of eating which is healthiest and which I enjoy.