I lose weight when I do exercise not by restricting calories, Why is it so?

Options

Replies

• RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    In general, men tend to lose more weight from exercising and women tend to lose more weight with diet. What you are saying actually makes total sense to me. Your hormones make it easier to build muscle which in turn is going to make it easier to burn fat which is why you are seeing more progress with exercising. Maybe for right now since you can't work out focus on maintaining and once you start working out again you can get back to losing.

No. Men and women can both lose weight just fine with or without exercise. It is easier for men to build muscle but muscle doesn't burn fat the way you think it does.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Either your logging and estimated calorie burn aren't as perfect as you think or you have some rare medical condition.

Also are you saying you would eat 1500 and burn 1500 in exercise each day? For a net calories of 0?
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    a womens weight fluxuates very often, i know many females that go from 120 pounds to a 130 in a few days then back to normal days later.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Either your logging and estimated calorie burn aren't as perfect as you think or you have some rare medical condition.

Also are you saying you would eat 1500 and burn 1500 in exercise each day? For a net calories of 0?

That's what I was thinking. That would certainly create a large deficit leading to weight loss.

OP, how long have you been trying diet only without exercise? Are you not losing any weight at all or are you losing much more slowly than expected?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    You're probably not giving it the time needed.
    Let me guess, and I'm not trying to sound mean here, you weigh every day or every other day and are disappointed if the number doesn't change for the better every time? That's pretty common. Your weight won't always go down immediately, sometimes you'll just stay at the same weight a while or even go up, and the more you weigh the more it can fluctuate.

b3d335eba331a357e8e31ce8c4a1245a.png

Look at this. From one day to another or even looking at multiple days in a row, there's barely any changes or even going up, but the trend goes down if you look at the big picture. And that's me at 155 pounds at the end there. Your fluctuations could be even bigger.

This.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you don't exercise and don't eat much then your body goes into starvation mode, it then keeps as much of the food that you do eat as possible. It also depends on the type of food you are eating. The calories may be low but if the fat content is high then you wont lose weight.

WRONG SO WRONG!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    In general, men tend to lose more weight from exercising and women tend to lose more weight with diet. What you are saying actually makes total sense to me. Your hormones make it easier to build muscle which in turn is going to make it easier to burn fat which is why you are seeing more progress with exercising. Maybe for right now since you can't work out focus on maintaining and once you start working out again you can get back to losing.

WRONG SO WRONG!
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you don't exercise and don't eat much then your body goes into starvation mode, it then keeps as much of the food that you do eat as possible. It also depends on the type of food you are eating. The calories may be low but if the fat content is high then you wont lose weight.

Oh c'mon, that's nonsense.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    SW: 280 lb
    CW: 235 lb
    GW: 190 lb

BMR: 2200 calories/Day

When I create deficit only by restricting calories (no exercise) i don't lose weight. 1500-1800 calories/Day
    Consider my TDEE 2600-2800.
    This is how I create deficit of 800-1000 Calories/Day.
    So i should be losing 2 pounds/Week. 1000*7=7000 Calories (Deficit)
    Don't say I am not logging accurately. I always log 100 to 200 more calories than I eat. I scan my food i weigh my food so no dispute over this.

When I eat 1500 calories/Day and Burn calories around 1500 by walking 10-12 Miles I see results tremendously. I miss those days when I was walking 12+ miles daily and i was seeing results and this is How I lost my weight.

I lost 45 Pounds and I'm happy but now I have not much time to do exercise so restricting calories is only option.

I will be back to exercise after a month. But curious why i don't lose weight by creating deficit.

It's obvious to me that you aren't logging accurately. If you always log 100 to 200 more calories than you eat then that right there says your logging is not accurate. I will sometimes add calories like that if I eat out or eat food cooked by someone else and I have to guess at the calorie content, but I would admit to myself and others that my logging for that day was an estimate and might not be all that accurate. But when I eat at home I weigh and measure everything and I consider my logging to be accurate. I do not add calories that I did not eat.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options

I cannot believe how many people still believe this and give others this advice. This is wrong. It doesn't work like that.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

When I create deficit only by restricting calories (no exercise) i don't lose weight. 1500-1800 calories/Day
    Don't say I am not logging accurately. I always log 100 to 200 more calories than I eat. I scan my food i weigh my food so no dispute over this.

When I eat 1500 calories/Day and Burn calories around 1500 by walking 10-12 Miles I see results tremendously. I miss those days when I was walking 12+ miles daily and i was seeing results and this is How I lost my weight.

I lost 45 Pounds and I'm happy but now I have not much time to do exercise so restricting calories is only option.

I will be back to exercise after a month. But curious why i don't lose weight by creating deficit.

It's obvious to me that you aren't logging accurately. If you always log 100 to 200 more calories than you eat then that right there says your logging is not accurate. I will sometimes add calories like that if I eat out or eat food cooked by someone else and I have to guess at the calorie content, but I would admit to myself and others that my logging for that day was an estimate and might not be all that accurate. But when I eat at home I weigh and measure everything and I consider my logging to be accurate. I do not add calories that I did not eat.

I'm OCD w/ my totals so if a total doesn't add up to equal a multiple of 5 I round up...
    LOL!

For example lets say I log my breakfast and in the end it's 298 calories, I round it up to 300
    Or my lunch is a total of 312 calories, I round up to 315...
    I'm just weird that way! I like looking at whole "round" numbers.
    But I always weigh everything first to get an accurate count and then round up from there.
  • MyPathway
    MyPathway Posts: 61 Member
    Options

What app is that? I started using Weight trend 2 weeks ago. Weight fluctuations still drives me crazy, I was wondering how long does it take to have a good estimate? The app tells me I am loosing 1 lbs/week since i lost 2 in the first week and none in the second week. So the trend is still going down but I am still worried I am not losing in the long term.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't lose weight by counting calories either. I just do it wrong or something. I don't have the patience to weigh and measure food and I doubt I ever will.

Fortunately, my body keeps an accurate tally even if I don't. If I'm not losing, I need to eat less regardless of how many fits MFP throws about my (alleged) calorie intake. You're probably underestimating your intake, so look at the calories MFP gives you as a ballpark figure and adjust if needed.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You need to read this Starvation Mode Myth, it's my newest favorite article.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

What is this fabricated, untrue nonsense?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

There is a reason, or an answer to your question we just need to pick a apart your method to come up with the answer.

The points highlighted in your post? Do you eat 1500 or 1800 calories a day and do you log 100 - 200 calories before or after the 1500 - 1800 you log a day.

How do you know how many calories you burn, where are you getting the calorie burn from?

PLease open your diary... need this piece of info too to work though what you say is no calorie deficit at all through food.

I want to run your stats (age, weight, and height) through another calculator. I also want to say if you eat 1500 calories a day the exercise is not keeping you in a deficit, but the 1500 min calories is, but I need to know exactly what you are logging.. is it 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800 a day, and logging more 100 - 200 than you eat before or after or is included in these numbers..

I eat between 1500 to 1800 calories. Some day 1500, 1600 or 1800
    I add 100 or 200 calories more to my actual calories intake. Suppose today i ate 1500 calories i will add some extra food (which I don't eat) to my total calories Intake. I do this to satisfy myself that I am going in right direction.

I use mapmywalk app and I also MFP steps counter (iPhone 5s motion sensor).
    My stats in both apps (mapmywalk and MFP)
    Weight: 235 lb
    Height: 5'10

I use mapmywalk to check the calories i burn by walking. Day before yesterday I walked 15+ miles and mapmywalk says you burned 2635 calories. This is how i track calories I burned.

One more thing which i think is important: in my diet wheat flour is main part I eat Roti (200 gm of wheat) in lunch and dinner with vegetables,chicken and meat daily, but I weigh this food and still i am below 1800 calories. Sometimes i think because of this food I am not losing weight. As i said with this food i eat below my calories intake goal.

mapmywalk is notorious for over estimating calories burned .and if you use your phone to track steps and its not synced with mapmywalk then its possible you are getting double the calories you are burning,do you eat any of your exercise calories back?
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    MyPathway wrote: »

What app is that? I started using Weight trend 2 weeks ago. Weight fluctuations still drives me crazy, I was wondering how long does it take to have a good estimate? The app tells me I am loosing 1 lbs/week since i lost 2 in the first week and none in the second week. So the trend is still going down but I am still worried I am not losing in the long term.

That's weightgrapher.com. 2 weeks should be enough to put a trend line on there, but I couldn't figure out a way to put in old weights other than manually which is a bit of a pain.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

The closest thing to a germ of truth in this is: someone who weighs 300lbs will burn more than someone who weighs 90lbs doing the exact same activity. This is because the person hauling around 300lbs is doing more work moving the extra weight.

If you are comparing your weight loss from gym activities to a guy who is bigger than you, then the guy is creating a bigger deficit with that exercise. The same would be true with the genders reversed.

This is also why you should check your BMR on MFP, as @JemPuddleduck suggested.
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

There is a reason, or an answer to your question we just need to pick a apart your method to come up with the answer.

The points highlighted in your post? Do you eat 1500 or 1800 calories a day and do you log 100 - 200 calories before or after the 1500 - 1800 you log a day.

How do you know how many calories you burn, where are you getting the calorie burn from?

PLease open your diary... need this piece of info too to work though what you say is no calorie deficit at all through food.

I want to run your stats (age, weight, and height) through another calculator. I also want to say if you eat 1500 calories a day the exercise is not keeping you in a deficit, but the 1500 min calories is, but I need to know exactly what you are logging.. is it 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800 a day, and logging more 100 - 200 than you eat before or after or is included in these numbers..

I eat between 1500 to 1800 calories. Some day 1500, 1600 or 1800
    I add 100 or 200 calories more to my actual calories intake. Suppose today i ate 1500 calories i will add some extra food (which I don't eat) to my total calories Intake. I do this to satisfy myself that I am going in right direction.

I use mapmywalk app and I also MFP steps counter (iPhone 5s motion sensor).
    My stats in both apps (mapmywalk and MFP)
    Weight: 235 lb
    Height: 5'10

I use mapmywalk to check the calories i burn by walking. Day before yesterday I walked 15+ miles and mapmywalk says you burned 2635 calories. This is how i track calories I burned.

One more thing which i think is important: in my diet wheat flour is main part I eat Roti (200 gm of wheat) in lunch and dinner with vegetables,chicken and meat daily, but I weigh this food and still i am below 1800 calories. Sometimes i think because of this food I am not losing weight. As i said with this food i eat below my calories intake goal.

mapmywalk is notorious for over estimating calories burned .and if you use your phone to track steps and its not synced with mapmywalk then its possible you are getting double the calories you are burning,do you eat any of your exercise calories back?

What do you think about this?
    647yg36t3wc1.png

qt5b1ho1a88n.png