Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Probiotics

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Another option to try is eating prebiotic foods that feed the probiotics you already have in your intestines.

Resistant starch in the form of unmodified potato starch, and small servings of raw soaked oatmeal, has been working for me. I had to start with 1/4 teaspoon. The first time I had potato starch, I did a teaspoon, leading to pain... :(
    Another option to try is eating prebiotic foods that feed the probiotics you already have in your intestines.

Resistant starch in the form of unmodified potato starch, and small servings of raw soaked oatmeal, has been working for me. I had to start with 1/4 teaspoon. The first time I had potato starch, I did a teaspoon, leading to pain... :(

I just added raw unmodified potato starch. I eat a green banana or plantain. I also added leeks. And I am going to try parsnips. Another thing I might try is acacia fiber. There are a lot of potential options. I also have to be cautious about food reactions either my gut or nerve pain in my face that increases from food reactions. Not sure if I can tolerate oatmeal again yet. But, I might try it at some point. Parboiled and cooled rice is potentially another option. My gut does not handle grains well. Quinoa was actually the worst.
    I have the potato starch, my probiotic, and a serving of vegetables together, in hopes that the probiotic can hitch a ride on the starch and fiber to the large intestine, and not settle down in the small intestine, where it doesn't really belong.

I just added raw unmodified potato starch. I eat a green banana or plantain. I also added leeks. And I am going to try parsnips. Another thing I might try is acacia fiber. There are a lot of potential options. I also have to be cautious about food reactions either my gut or nerve pain in my face that increases from food reactions. Not sure if I can tolerate oatmeal again yet. But, I might try it at some point. Parboiled and cooled rice is potentially another option. My gut does not handle grains well. Quinoa was actually the worst.

I empathize. My gut didn't like fiber for a while. The very worst was coconut flour. I have the potato starch, my probiotic, and a serving of vegetables together, in hopes that the probiotic can hitch a ride on the starch and fiber to the large intestine, and not settle down in the small intestine, where it doesn't really belong.

Me too. I combine the potato starch, veggies, and probiotic.
    Interesting. I've started experimenting with different food combinations and times of the day for my probiotic supplement. I do think the effects may be a little different on my system depending on the type of food I'm eating and/or time I'm taking it.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Or I just take the probiotic with a banana.
  • tides57
    tides57 Posts: 27 Member
    My husband says they aren't probiotics unless they are getting paid to biotic. Otherwise they are amateur biotics.
    Priceless! Lol
  • BinaryPulsar
    tides57 wrote: »
    My husband says they aren't probiotics unless they are getting paid to biotic. Otherwise they are amateur biotics.
    Priceless! Lol

But, what if they are just temporarily unemployed!

Update to topic: I stopped prebiotics. They made me worse. Resistant starch is similar to fodmaps. I need to stop both while I am recovering. My doctor put me on another probiotic that seems to be helping.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    tides57 wrote: »
    Priceless! Lol

But, what if they are just temporarily unemployed!

Update to topic: I stopped prebiotics. They made me worse. Resistant starch is similar to fodmaps. I need to stop both while I am recovering. My doctor put me on another probiotic that seems to be helping.

I empathize. I had to cut back on some of the vegetables I was eating, which are high fodmaps veggies. Maybe I'll be able to work back up, slowly.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    I took probiotics every day for about two months. I did not notice ANY changes in my body, only in my bank account, so I stopped.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I took probiotics every day for about two months. I did not notice ANY changes in my body, only in my bank account, so I stopped.

Unfortunately probiotics haven't done any good for me and my Crohn's either :(
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I looked up the research on probiotics for my condition, and picked a probiotic that way. Objectively speaking, my condition has improved in a measurable way since starting probiotics, although I can't be sure that it's because of the probiotics.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Lithezebra, yeah the hope is that low fodmap diet is supposed to only need to be temporary until we recover. I hate not being able to eat vegetables freely. But, I am in a bad place and can't tolerate fodmaps at all. I eat my vegetables cooked as well. But, I think eventually I will recover. I have improved a lot.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    @BinaryPulsar I attempted to eat one piece of lettuce last night.. Let's just say it was an utter failure
  • BinaryPulsar
    @BinaryPulsar I attempted to eat one piece of lettuce last night.. Let's just say it was an utter failure

• ForecasterJason
    A few weeks ago I increased my probiotic dosage to 1 capsule a day, and ditched taking it like I initially used to (poured out of the capsule and into yogurt). I've mostly been taking it at the end of a meal after eating fibrous vegetables. It does seem as though there's been some improvement in my system. Perhaps I wasted so much time taking too small of a dose (and possibly the wrong way as well).
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited April 2016
    A few weeks ago I increased my probiotic dosage to 1 capsule a day, and ditched taking it like I initially used to (poured out of the capsule and into yogurt). I've mostly been taking it at the end of a meal after eating fibrous vegetables. It does seem as though there's been some improvement in my system. Perhaps I wasted so much time taking too small of a dose (and possibly the wrong way as well).

Well, it's always good to start slow and test things out. Because we don't really know what probiotics we need or not. Potentially probiotics pills could cause an imbalance. But, that's pretty rare. So much gets killed in our stomach acid as they make the journey to our large intestine. But, even when they get killed it triggers positive immune responses in our microbiome. Though some people with auto-immune disease might need to be more cautious. I like the book Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ by Giulia Enders.
  • ForecasterJason

Well, it's always good to start slow and test things out. Because we don't really know what probiotics we need or not. Potentially probiotics pills could cause an imbalance. But, that's pretty rare. So much gets killed in our stomach acid as they make the journey to our large intestine. But, even when they get killed it triggers positive immune responses in our microbiome. Though some people with auto-immune disease might need to be more cautious. I like the book Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ by Giulia Enders.
    Yes, very true.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I thought there was another thread on the gut microbiome but cannot find one, so this is likely the best place for this.

Here's a really interesting article by Michael Pollan about analyzing gut populations and differences, which I found through another link to the Human Gut Project: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/magazine/say-hello-to-the-100-trillion-bacteria-that-make-up-your-microbiome.html
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I'm on my third round of antibiotics since December. I've been taking probiotics while on this round of antibiotics, and I have to say they seem to be helping dramatically. I didn't take them last round (last month) and ended up with a horrible yeast infection, and I was very sick to my stomach every day. While I do feel a bit queasy every morning, the infection hasn't happened this time, and I'm not actually vomiting. Not sure if it's the addition of the probiotic, but that seems to be the case.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm on my third round of antibiotics since December. I've been taking probiotics while on this round of antibiotics, and I have to say they seem to be helping dramatically. I didn't take them last round (last month) and ended up with a horrible yeast infection, and I was very sick to my stomach every day. While I do feel a bit queasy every morning, the infection hasn't happened this time, and I'm not actually vomiting. Not sure if it's the addition of the probiotic, but that seems to be the case.

I would definitely say it's the probiotic. I get the same symptoms as you when I take antibiotics. But if I take probiotics alongside them, all is good.
  • karenmorgan946517
    karenmorgan946517 Posts: 17 Member
    For me they are a must. Probiotics ended my depression, better then years of pills with bad side affects ever did. Now I only take them a few times a week or after a big meal. It's great to poop with ease.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I haven't found any probiotic supplements that made any noticeable difference but kefir definitely did. I now am thinking dairy may be part of my problems though so I'm back to looking for a good supplement without dairy. I will browse this thread for suggestions!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I have to say that probiotics are what helped me gain remission from ulcerative colitis. I am faithful in taking mine and also add fermented foods and kombucha, a little each day. While this helps the gut, I still have lingering body inflammation and have always had it. My doc thinks that once your body has been triggered by immune response (the UC) it will always be susceptible to other auto-immune issues.

I have to say that the body inflammation is becoming a problem and I am trying to decrease it. Think of it as DMOS times 5 all over the body. The only time it is alleviated is while I am working out and the body is "warmed up." I have eliminated wheat for now and will give it a few months to see if it does anything. I have not eliminated other grains yet as I really don't consume them anyway ... perhaps rice once a week and corn once a month. I have had allergy testing and show not even the slightest allergic reaction to anything other than mold and oak pollen ... no food issues.