Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Probiotics

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    If the right microbes at the right ratios are in our GI tract probiotics should not cause any health improvements or negative side effects as I understand it.

prescribe-nutrition.com/probiotics-got/

If you do experience the Herxheimer Reaction take it as warning you may have more health issues than you thought. We ran into this at our house but now are taking probiotics without NEGATIVE side effects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarisch%E2%80%93Herxheimer_reaction

The article below states terminally ill or those with wrecked immune systems may not should take probiotics.

everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/the-pros-and-cons-of-probiotics.aspx
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited April 2016
    Our nutritionist suggested probiotics for my oldest, she was diagnosed with Crohn's 4 years ago. She take 25billion a day, less than that showed minimum improvement. They obviously aren't a cure-all, but for her they have minimised the stomach pain and eliminated the chronic diarrhea, meaning she has been able to stop taking certain meds/supplements and can be more active. She's finally been able to gain weight and is now a healthy 94 pounds at 11 years old and 5'2".

No, I don't think everybody needs them, but in some cases they do a world of good.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    If the right microbes at the right ratios are in our GI tract probiotics should not cause any health improvements or negative side effects as I understand it.

prescribe-nutrition.com/probiotics-got/

If you do experience the Herxheimer Reaction take it as warning you may have more health issues than you thought. We ran into this at our house but now are taking probiotics without NEGATIVE side effects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarisch%E2%80%93Herxheimer_reaction

The article below states terminally ill or those with wrecked immune systems may not should take probiotics.

everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/the-pros-and-cons-of-probiotics.aspx

I get that Herxheimer reaction. Histamine reactions. My doctor recommended a different probiotic that's more specific to what he thinks is behind my dysbiosis (from testing) and now I am improving.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I guess I am going back on probiotics. I just started a round of Cipro :(
  • BinaryPulsar
    I guess I am going back on probiotics. I just started a round of Cipro :(

♥ I hope you recover quickly!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Thanks. Just a UTI but I am immunosuppressed so they take it seriously. It's from my Crohn's (I have lovely fistulas which increase the risk of infection)
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Thanks. Just a UTI but I am immunosuppressed so they take it seriously. It's from my Crohn's (I have lovely fistulas which increase the risk of infection)

Ugh! I just had my first one a few weeks back and it was awful! Hope you find relief soon!
  • BinaryPulsar

Oh, sorry to hear that. Yes, UTIs can be extremely serious in people that are immunosuppressed. Worth it to do the antibiotics sooner, rather than later. But, I know it's awful to deal with the repercussions of antibiotics. But, you are doing the right stuff.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Does anyone know if it is necessary to take a probiotic every single day? I have been for years, but it gets very expensive, and was wondering if say 3-4 times a week for would still give benefits.. I have no health issues.
  • GaleHawkins
    Does anyone know if it is necessary to take a probiotic every single day? I have been for years, but it gets very expensive, and was wondering if say 3-4 times a week for would still give benefits.. I have no health issues.

I have the same question for the same reason.

If one is consuming something that daily kills the good critters then perhaps yes. Other wise I will have to read something that states daily use besides the marketing materials on the bottles. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    You don't need to take them everyday when you are healthy.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited April 2016

Reason #3 supports your point @BinaryPulsar

@Christine_72 after we are all healed up maybe once a week if one wants to as prevention. My IBS has been gone for over a year now so I expect there is no leaky gut, etc issues going any longer.

I want to learn more about the best fermented vegetables but some of them are not cheap either. The bacteria evolving process caught my attention. Based on that if my own will evolve that may be better than lab strands.

Sorry I forgot the link with the info.
    fearlesseating.net/stop-taking-probiotics/

• Christine_72

Do you mean not to bother taking them at all, or just not everday?

• BinaryPulsar
    It depends. Not everyone needs to take them. But, because of the issues that I have now, I will continue to take them even after I recover just to be on the safe side. But, I wouldn't take them every day. Fermented foods are good too if you can tolerate them: sauerkraut, yogurt or kefir (can be the goat's milk kind if you tolerate it better).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    The Udi's children's probiotic that I take is pretty inexpensive. I chose it because it contains Bididobacterium infantis. It has other things in it too. It needs to be refrigerated, and does not come in a capsule. Empty capsules are cheap, if you can get the probiotic that you want in powdered form.
  • BinaryPulsar
    lithezebra wrote: »
    The Udi's children's probiotic that I take is pretty inexpensive. I chose it because it contains Bididobacterium infantis. It has other things in it too. It needs to be refrigerated, and does not come in a capsule. Empty capsules are cheap, if you can get the probiotic that you want in powdered form.

Oh good to know. One of the probiotics I take is Align. It's just Bifidus Infantis. Udi's sounds like a good one!
  • Christine_72
    @lithezebra why did you choose bifidus infantis?
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    I recently was on two rounds of antibiotics. The first, a 3 day course for cystitis didn't clear up and instead the infection spread to my kidneys (omg so painful!!!). Anyway, when I was put on the second course (7 days) the doctor advised picking up something like yakult and taking it daily during and after the course. I did and I think it really helped, for one I didn't get thrush this time round and I think it may have helped my lactose intolerance. I can't be sure yet but for example, yesterday I had ice cream, pizza, cheese sandwich, and a latte with no stomach pain at all. Normally I can stomach 1 or 2 of those in a day.

Of course, this is just my anecdotal experience but seeing as yakult is inexpensive and tastes decent I think I'll keep it up for awhile.

I bought some cottage cheese today to have on my salad at work and I'm drinking a large skim latte at the moment! lol as much as I enjoy soy milk in porridge there's nothing like real cow's milk with espresso.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016

I have an issue with IBS-C. The probiotic/prebiotic combination seems to be helping quite a bit. I'm regular, and I've been able to eat more vegetables without pain.
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited April 2016
    lithezebra wrote: »

I have an issue with IBS-C. The probiotic/prebiotic combination seems to be helping quite a bit. I'm regular, and I've been able to eat more vegetables without pain.

I don't have IBS-C. I had D. But, now my main symptom is bloating and flushing/nerve pain in face/eyes. It's a histamine reaction to food. I take bifidus because it reduces histamine. Some probiotics (such as l.casei) increase histamine, some reduce, some are neutral. My doctor has me taking Laterosporus BOD for suspected Candida in gut because my sibo test was negative. I'm improving.