Fit for Fall Challenge - 6/20 - 9/05

Options

Replies

• brendaleentjes
    brendaleentjes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I know I am a week behind but would like to join the challenge. How exactly do you join? Is it just leaving a comment on this thread? and how do I continue to find the thread each week?
    Brenda
  • ErikaMesto
    Options
    I just started my fitness pal, and I'm excited for this new Fall 2011 Challenge. I just started the HCG diet, and I have already lost 4 pounds. My current weight is 205, but my goal weight is 170, with a final goal weight of 118, which has been my lowest weight of my adult life. Keep it up everybody!!!
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newest members!!

All that's needed to join is to post your current weight (CW), 9/05 goal weight (GW) and any NSVs (non-scale victories) that you want to achieve by 9/05.

At the top of page 10 I have a posting that summarizes the challenge.
    At the top of page 16 I have a posting that shares the link for the Google Doc excel file that we'll be maintaining as everyone posts their weekly check ins. Copy/paste the link to your web browser to view the file.

Best of luck to a success 11 weeks!
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I haven't been watching my food or sodium levels this weekend so I'm expecting a gain this week. I'm okay with that though. I'll get back on track this week.
  • Jessicapages
    Jessicapages Posts: 427
    Options
    Why does taking a Cheat mael always turn into a cheat day??oh well probably not going to lose any weight this monday...but I will do better next weekend!
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited for tomorrow's weigh in!!!!!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    SW- 136lbs
    Week 1 (6/26)- 134lbs (-2lbs)
  • shawnalemons
    shawnalemons Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I really need this challenge. CW 238. GW 216 let's do this!
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options

I'm excited for you Ailene!! :smile:

I'm not excited for me... I anticipate a BIG BIG jump.. There is no way I can sodium cleanse before tomorrow.
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options

I'm thinking someone's in ONEderland! Way to stick to it despite the angst that comes with plateau. I KNEW you'd break through it, your workouts have been killer :flowerforyou:
  • oliviawink
    Options
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~WEEK 2 CHALLENGE~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    This challenge starts Monday, June 27
    Exercise: This week's exercise challenge has 2 parts.
    Part 1. Find a new exercise, or exercise motivation to kick things up and add a new fire to your workout/burn. Examples: finding/starting a new workout DVD, turning your walk into a walk/jog (or C25K), joining an additional challenge with a specific exercise goal (Loveme445 posts a weekly challenge with specific exercise goals, like 210 jumping jacks in a week, I'll post the link for this week's when she puts it up tonite or tomorrow), jogging up and down the stairs in your house for 5 minutes, etc. It can really be anything, it's up to you, just find something new and fun to keep you going!
    Part 2. Log 245 minutes of calorie burn (including your new exercise) this week. That's an average of 35 minutes per day for the week.

Food:
    Be sure you are eating a lean protein with every meal, including snacks. A common weight loss mistake is to avoid proteins b/c they are high calorie and eat more carbs instead as they tend to be lower cal. This ultimately makes you hungrier b/c you burn them faster. it's worth spending a good portion of your daily cals on proteins as they stay with you longer and help you build muscle, which in turn burns fat. When you are in a calorie deficit (which is how you lose weight) your body will burn up muscle while burning fat (it's typically 10- 20% of your loss is muscle, even if you are working out). One way to ensure that you add back the muscle to help you burn calories is to eat enough protein, which is an essential component to muscles. Ideas for lean proteins: yogurt (watch the sugar, though - greek is a good choice), cheese (Jess is cheering, I can hear it!), almonds, cashews, salmon (any fish), chicken, lean beef (sparingly!), beans, edamame, cottage cheese, (soybeans), low fat milk (even chocolate milk), and there's lots more.
    Share your favorite proteins with us so we can all get ideas!

Happy week 2 challenging!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join this challenge! I'm late as today is Jule 26th, but I'd like to still join if I may?

My current weight is 151
    My goal weight for 09/05/2011 is: 140

WE CAN DO THIS!!
  • oliviawink
    Options
    just went to cookinglight.com or meal ideas for this week and found that they had this great piece/recipe ideas on protein-rich foods: http://www.cookinglight.com/healthy-living/fitness/protein-rich-foods-00412000071660/
  • mrsmorris13
    mrsmorris13 Posts: 225
    Options
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~WEEK 2 CHALLENGE~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Part 1. Find a new exercise, or exercise motivation to kick things up and add a new fire to your workout/burn. Examples: finding/starting a new workout DVD, turning your walk into a walk/jog (or C25K), joining an additional challenge with a specific exercise goal (Loveme445 posts a weekly challenge with specific exercise goals, like 210 jumping jacks in a week, I'll post the link for this week's when she puts it up tonite or tomorrow), jogging up and down the stairs in your house for 5 minutes, etc. It can really be anything, it's up to you, just find something new and fun to keep you going!
    Part 2. Log 245 minutes of calorie burn (including your new exercise) this week. That's an average of 35 minutes per day for the week.

Food:
    Be sure you are eating a lean protein with every meal, including snacks. A common weight loss mistake is to avoid proteins b/c they are high calorie and eat more carbs instead as they tend to be lower cal. This ultimately makes you hungrier b/c you burn them faster. it's worth spending a good portion of your daily cals on proteins as they stay with you longer and help you build muscle, which in turn burns fat. When you are in a calorie deficit (which is how you lose weight) your body will burn up muscle while burning fat (it's typically 10- 20% of your loss is muscle, even if you are working out). One way to ensure that you add back the muscle to help you burn calories is to eat enough protein, which is an essential component to muscles. Ideas for lean proteins: yogurt (watch the sugar, though - greek is a good choice), cheese (Jess is cheering, I can hear it!), almonds, cashews, salmon (any fish), chicken, lean beef (sparingly!), beans, edamame, cottage cheese, (soybeans), low fat milk (even chocolate milk), and there's lots more.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ok.....My New activity for the week.....I will do as many "MAN" pushups as possible....everyday this week. Making sure to so at least one more per day.....Plus 245 minutes (at least) this week.
    I am a big fan of adding protein to almost every meal....I use Whey Protein powder to oatmeal, yogurt, make quick shakes...I like the MRM or J. Robb brands...low calories (87-100) no carbs, no fat....18-22grams of protein per serving.
  • Jessicapages
    Jessicapages Posts: 427
    Options

Food:

My "new exersise for the week".... I have two things to do for this challenge....Iwill be walking 5 days this week (weather permitting) also I will be doing the "Core" DVD from Turbo Fire everyday.I don't think I will have a hard time logging the 245 min. calorie burn adding these 2 exersises plus 30 Day Shred!
    For adding Lean Protein I will add eggs (egg beaters)to my breakfast,Lunch is always tuna sandwich with swiss cheese,snacks will be Jillian Micheals protein shakes with Peanut butter,Dinner is always Chicken with veggies......

Lean Beef
    In addition to being full of protein, beef is also a good source of B vitamins and iron. However, many consider red meat unhealthy because of high saturated fat content and added hormones. Therefore, when shopping for beef, look for leaner cuts like top round, top sirloin, and flank steak. A general guideline is to look for a minimum 2 g protein to 1 g fat ratio. For ground beef, buy 90 percent lean or leaner. Also, whenever possible buy grass fed beef because this meat contains additional omega-3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), both healthy types of fat.
    Fish
    Salmon, tuna and shrimp are just a few sources of seafood lean protein sources.
    Egg whites
    An egg consists of a white and a yolk. The white is a fast digesting protein while the yolk contains fat and cholesterol in addition to protein. By removing the yolk, you can eliminate a vast majority of the calories present in the egg without sacrificing all the protein content
    Beans
    Also high in fiber, beans are one of the rare plant sources of complete protein (containing all essential amino acids). There are a variety of bean types that provide similar nutritional benefits, including navy, pinto and black beans.
    Protein Powder
    For individuals who have a difficult time getting the appropriate amount of protein from whole food, protein powder is a convenient alternative. Protein powder can come from a variety of sources, including whey, casein, egg, soy and hemp. To select the type that is right for you, recognize that whey and casein are dairy sources and may cause gastrointestinal discomfort.
  • slackeyj
    slackeyj Posts: 68
    Options
    just went to cookinglight.com or meal ideas for this week and found that they had this great piece/recipe ideas on protein-rich foods: http://www.cookinglight.com/healthy-living/fitness/protein-rich-foods-00412000071660/

I love cooking light for inspiration, although the majority of the time I add calorie-less flavors because some of their stuff tends to be bland for my palate. Great reference and I love the challenge! My personal goal is going to be to ride my bike the 15 miles to work several time this week! I need to do a test run this evening to see how long it takes me and work out the logistics of getting my gym bag with clean uniforms there but I can always drive my car, park it and ride home then ride back the next morning/afternoon (swing shift) and drive back the next day and pack two days of lunches so that I don't have to eat subway. Or wait until my neighbor/ co worker gets home and throw my lunch in his car before I come in. I do have some options I just have to go through the trouble. This week's challenge is good motivation to make the effort. I love it!
  • cschmidt42
    cschmidt42 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am so in!! This is just what I need. Can't wait to check in on Monday!! :smile:
  • cschmidt42
    cschmidt42 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just realized I am a week late, but I still want to get in on this. I really need it!

CW 184
    GW 160
    NSV To finish this challenge, I never seem to finish anything that I start!
  • amodom
    amodom Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    SW: 183 lbs- Jan 2, 2011
    CW: 164.2 - June 26, 2011
    GW 149 lbs - September 1, 2011
    Weight Category: A 15 pound weight loss goal in 9 weeks
    Mini Goal #1: 162 pounds through the 4th of July weekend - I am planning for huge caloric burns with less focus overeating
    Mini Goal #2: 159 pounds - let's say in 3 weeks; July 17, 2011
    Mini Goal #3: 154 pounds - then another 3 weeks: August 7, 2011

My goal is to weigh 140 something. I am focused on working out and conscious eating 7 days at a time. :laugh:

New: Jillian's 30 day shred or P90X this week or another 20 minutes cardio DVD. I am trying all today. Attempting to find out which gives the best overall caloric burn

I joined the President's Fitness Challenge

3489117.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

exercise.png
  • oliviawink
    Options

Lean Beef
    In addition to being full of protein, beef is also a good source of B vitamins and iron. However, many consider red meat unhealthy because of high saturated fat content and added hormones. Therefore, when shopping for beef, look for leaner cuts like top round, top sirloin, and flank steak. A general guideline is to look for a minimum 2 g protein to 1 g fat ratio. For ground beef, buy 90 percent lean or leaner. Also, whenever possible buy grass fed beef because this meat contains additional omega-3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), both healthy types of fat.
    Fish
    Salmon, tuna and shrimp are just a few sources of seafood lean protein sources.
    Egg whites
    An egg consists of a white and a yolk. The white is a fast digesting protein while the yolk contains fat and cholesterol in addition to protein. By removing the yolk, you can eliminate a vast majority of the calories present in the egg without sacrificing all the protein content
    Beans
    Also high in fiber, beans are one of the rare plant sources of complete protein (containing all essential amino acids). There are a variety of bean types that provide similar nutritional benefits, including navy, pinto and black beans.
    Protein Powder
    For individuals who have a difficult time getting the appropriate amount of protein from whole food, protein powder is a convenient alternative. Protein powder can come from a variety of sources, including whey, casein, egg, soy and hemp. To select the type that is right for you, recognize that whey and casein are dairy sources and may cause gastrointestinal discomfort.

What a great list and chock full of info. Thanks for sharing!