Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym on empty stomach

Options

Replies

• Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I wake up starving and couldn't leave the house without eating, let alone work out. My best run times are after eating carbs within an hour before running.

That being said, we're all individuals. If you feel good working out on an empty stomach, it's totally fine.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Well I will throw in a study for y'all. Says basically that for fat loss it doesn't matter if you do cardio fasted or fed, but fasted cardio is more likely to burn muscle and cause you to have a less intense workout with lower overall calorie burn.
    After reviewing years of research on the subject, a report published this year in Strength and Conditioning Journal concluded that the body burns roughly the same amount of fat regardless of whether you eat before a workout. But you’re likely to lose muscle by exercising in a depleted state, the report found, and without fuel to aid the workout, exercise intensity and overall calorie burn will be reduced.

The article you can read for free:

well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/does-exercising-on-an-empty-stomach-burn-more-fat/

The study you have to pay to see:

journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Abstract/2011/02000/Does_Cardio_After_an_Overnight_Fast_Maximize_Fat.3.aspx

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    For me, the need to fuel pre workout seems to vary with the intensity. I do reach a point where some quick carbs help, but only if it's a tough workout. I'd actually prefer to not eat before working out usually, but found that it could limit my output.

Usually it's cardio that will show a weakness in fueling. And usually only if I'm pushing pace. Then it seems that both warm up and some food will help my pace. YMMV.
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I always workout on an empty stomach -- mostly because I'm at the gym around 5 every day and don't want to get up earlier to eat. It doesn't bother me, and I have breakfast shortly after I get to work.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Well I will throw in a study for y'all. Says basically that for fat loss it doesn't matter if you do cardio fasted or fed, but fasted cardio is more likely to burn muscle and cause you to have a less intense workout with lower overall calorie burn.
    After reviewing years of research on the subject, a report published this year in Strength and Conditioning Journal concluded that the body burns roughly the same amount of fat regardless of whether you eat before a workout. But you’re likely to lose muscle by exercising in a depleted state, the report found, and without fuel to aid the workout, exercise intensity and overall calorie burn will be reduced.

The article you can read for free:

well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/does-exercising-on-an-empty-stomach-burn-more-fat/

The study you have to pay to see:

journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Abstract/2011/02000/Does_Cardio_After_an_Overnight_Fast_Maximize_Fat.3.aspx

I am as wary of "muscle burning" claims as I am of "fat burning" claims during exercise. The fact that one utilizes amino acids during an extended exercise session does not necessarily equate to "muscle burning". Metabolism is a constant process--there are always catabolic and anabolic processes occurring in the body. It seems just as likely that one could replace any "muscle" lost during prolonged exercise by refeeding after the workout. And, in fact, it has been shown that athletes who engage in high volumes of aerobic exercise can remain in nitrogen balance as long as protein intake is sufficient.
  • lewish2012
    lewish2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what works best for you. You know you're body. Fasted cardio has always been my thing, I enjoyed working out on an empty stomach. However I had medical conditions such as low blood pressure and low blood sugar. This year I almost fainted. I've been doing fasted cardio for years but my body finally said okay that's enough. Now I eat an apple and maybe something else if I feel I need to.
  • lewish2012
    lewish2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have not had **
  • harrisc12
    harrisc12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Training fasted is fine, if you feel okay doing it. I have read that supplementing with BCAA's, especially leucine, beforehand can be beneficial by mitigating muscle break down.
  • 14apfigley641
    14apfigley641 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think it's whatever works for you. If I eat absolutely nothing I feel weak and dizzy. If I eat a heavy meal or drink too much I feel nauseated. I usually just eat oatmeal or a banana an hour before.
  • dylclarke95
    dylclarke95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work at a restaurant where I can only get a lunch meal if my shift starts at 8 am, or if I ask one of the servers to charge me for it, and that's only if I have enough free time to even have the meal. Then I'll go to the gym after work, but I discovered that I get really uncomfortable trying to run with nothing but a 700 calorie breakfast and several cups of water to consume. I've since resorted to using an escalator machine, which doesn't use as much energy, but still gets results. So I wouldn't recommend doing an intense workout when you haven't eaten for ~12 hours.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Shineylou wrote: »
    If you are looking to build muscle, you should have carbs or light protein before a workout. It will give you an energy boost and build/repair muscle quicker.
    Energy boost maybe. Build muscle/repair muscle quicker.............not so much. Muscle is repaired the DAY AFTER a workout, so eating something before a workout does little to enhance muscle repair/building.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    It is all personal preference. I myself find it very difficult to get in a good feeling workout without something in my stomach. I usually eat a small snack, like a banana, pb&j or some trail mix 15-20 min before training just to give me something. I would not eat a full meal and then hit it hard but a little something for me helps a lot.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Since 2003, the military has required me to exercise at the start of the day, which means I've usually been exercising without any food in my stomach. As far as I've been able to tell, it hasn't negatively impacted my performance. A couple folks have postulated that the empty stomach may contribute to my less than energetic attitude when I show up to exercise, but I honestly can't tell if it's that or the fact I'm just not a morning person.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    superchea wrote: »
    Wake up and go to the gym on empty stomach in the morning is that a good or bad thing? I usually don't have an appetite in the am but I still manage to get in 2,000 calories a day.

It all goes by your personal preference. Eat within 45-minutes after though to get in that protein and feed your muscles. Several people on here love doing fasted cardio and live by it, so essentially, that's what you're doing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    superchea wrote: »
    Wake up and go to the gym on empty stomach in the morning is that a good or bad thing? I usually don't have an appetite in the am but I still manage to get in 2,000 calories a day.

It all goes by your personal preference. Eat within 45-minutes after though to get in that protein and feed your muscles. Several people on here love doing fasted cardio and live by it, so essentially, that's what you're doing.
    Post meal is so over hyped. What happens if you eat 2 hours later instead? The muscles end up shrinking or being weaker?
    The whole "you have to eat within 45 minutes to 1 hour after workout" is based mostly on broscience. While there are studies that show it's "optimal" for competitive or elite athletes, there's hardly any evidence at all that shows it impacts the general population.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I eat late into the night (11:30pm), so skipping breakfast isn't an issue for me. I've well fueled as I do sessions with clients from 9:00 to 11:00am, then workout afterward.
    Don't know why people don't think you CAN'T keep glycogen storage high enough for 12 hours before use. I'm sleeping for 8 hours (fat for fuel not glycogen) and the other 3 hours is driving to the gym and instruction. Hardly a glycogen depleter.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Really interesting question. I am eating at a ever so slight deficit. My meal at night is over by 6pm, and is never more than 30% of my overall intake, I tend to eat big in the morning, medium at lunch. I am on empty by 6am the next day, in fact, I am sure I am fat burning and glycogen depleted from 3-6am as I often wake up alert and hungry.
    This is my plan.
    I then fuel up for the mornings workout, high carbs, get really great results 2/3 hours later.

I strongly doubt you're glycogen depleted from 3-6 am unless you're doing a depletion workout prior to going to bed or doing massive exercise while you sleep. Glycogen is not the main energy source when at rest (fat actually is), so you're not depleting glycogen while relaxing in the evening and/or sleeping at night.

Interesting. I thought having gone through my calorie allowance I'd be dipping into glycogen stores. So you're saying I have potential stored energy for my workout the next day where I wouldn't be dipping into fat and or lean tissue? Or would I be using glycogen, fat and body tissue?

Why do I bonk so quickly when I run fasted then? It's very difficult to get any speed up.

I somehow don't see where glycogen use could happen if I was in defecit for many hours before workout..

I might try a fasted workout and see if I feel the g stores kicking in. Not looking forward to that...

Another factor is I quite often eat a lowish carbed dinner, compared with my high carb breakfast. This is often after a fast 30 minute cycle home, it's quite possible my g stores are low evening and night.

Also gotta recognize the difference between low blood sugar because liver is getting tapped out, or already was getting low before starting fasted cardio.

And your muscles having plenty of glycogen in them which can't be put back into the bloodstream.

That low blood sugar low energy feeling you get isn't true bonking. During an endurance event that is the first difficult period - but do the pace/speed too fast, you'll experience a much more serious difficult period later in comparison.

And considering you'd require a rather intense workout to shift the energy source from 50/50 fat/carbs to mainly carbs - you likely are no where near true bonking.

Or you are doing low carb diet with endurance cardio - not exactly a great combo - and indeed have low muscle glycogen stores, allowing bonking way earlier than normal.

Your at rest energy source is mainly fat, like 97%, even your liver stores aren't going down that fast - unless you are very active after dinner to late sleep. That could make at 6am workout be on low blood sugar - and feel bad, even if muscles got plenty of energy to use.
  • heybales
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Some of my best runs were straight out of bed & with an empty tummy. I need to go straight away though or I start to get hungry. I've read that fasted cardio can help to speed up your metabolism for the rest of the day. However i was training for a 10k at the time, and it was easier for me to get a run in first thing while the rest of the house were still asleep.

There were some great links from couple great sources in this thread about the matter of fasted cardio on rest of the day.

Isn't doing at all what you read.

If you need to train the fat burning system to kick in faster to benefit endurance cardio - then it can be useful.

If you think it changes anything regarding fat loss - forget it.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Shineylou wrote: »
    If you are looking to build muscle, you should have carbs or light protein before a workout. It will give you an energy boost and build/repair muscle quicker.

I use a pre-workout for energy
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I would never have the strength to lift heavy without eating something first. even just a smoothie with a decent amount of protein. as it is I'm famished and sometimes feel a bit weak after my workout, it would be so much worse without eating first. I have no idea how people can do it.
  • heybales
    Options
    I would never have the strength to lift heavy without eating something first. even just a smoothie with a decent amount of protein. as it is I'm famished and sometimes feel a bit weak after my workout, it would be so much worse without eating first. I have no idea how people can do it.

Sadly we are probably eating late and staying up late - so the time between last meal topping off liver for blood sugar levels and morning workout isn't that great.

Those muscle energy stores are full enough to accomplish the workout even fasted - it's the mental ability with low blood sugar that is lacking for many.