April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    So a strange thing happened yesterday when I did a lunch time run. It was warm and that made the run difficult. I liked that because I want to acclimate to the coming warmer weather. There was also a strange yellow ball in the sky and everything was brightly colored. It was quite an interesting run.

This morning when my early run alarm went off I felt a bit more tired than normal and it was raining. I looked at the forecast and saw that by lunchtime there is a chance of strange yellow balls in the sky around lunch time, and it will be rather warm too making the run a bit of a challenge.

Challenge accepted!:smile:

Never take the easy way out :wink:

Until the yellow ball is beating down temps in the 90s and 100s. Then you might want to think about taking the easy way out ;)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I know it has been said a hundred times and I know deep down in you know that the accomplishment of qualifying for and running your first Boston marathon is an amazing one, especially at the age of 60 and under such poor conditions. It pains me a little to read your posts and know that the excitement and euphoria of your first Boston experience is somewhat overshadowed by a feeling of disappointment. While your performance in Boston was extremely impressive, as runners I think we all can relate to that feeling of working hard and falling short of a goal, even if it was an extremely lofty one to begin with. I hope that as time passes, you will only remember the highlights of this experience. Earning the opportunity to run the Boston marathon is a prize in its own right and what you achieved is extremely exceptional.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I can understand how you feel. I was very disappointed how I did in both my HM before my marathon last year and how I did at Rocket City. I was really hoping that I would get closer to a BQ than what I did. I knew it was going to be warm for my marathon (in the middle of December mind you) but I too didn't feel that it effected me that much. I really didn't think it was that warm. But I was surprised to hear that people ended up hospitalized with dehydration issues and here I am running the fastest I ever ran with no worries of getting sick. I think all my summer running & carrying my own Gatorade helped in that as well. But looking at it in hindsight, maybe I could have done a little better if the weather cooperated. But you cannot control the weather. You can only adjust your expectations and how you attack it. But I think you know that already.

I have fellow coworker here in my building that ran it Monday (had a 3 digit bib number) and had a 6:25 pace going on (1:25:23 half time) then around mile 17 he stopped with stomach and cramping issues. He DNF'ed.

So you got nothing to be ashamed about. Well done my friend. Well done!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    So a strange thing happened yesterday when I did a lunch time run. It was warm and that made the run difficult. I liked that because I want to acclimate to the coming warmer weather. There was also a strange yellow ball in the sky and everything was brightly colored. It was quite an interesting run.

This morning when my early run alarm went off I felt a bit more tired than normal and it was raining. I looked at the forecast and saw that by lunchtime there is a chance of strange yellow balls in the sky around lunch time, and it will be rather warm too making the run a bit of a challenge.

Challenge accepted!:smile:

Never take the easy way out :wink:

Until the yellow ball is beating down temps in the 90s and 100s. Then you might want to think about taking the easy way out ;)

My easy way is not getting up at 330am to out run the boogie man. I'll take the heat :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I bet you look badass in that Boston jacket. :wink:

Quick question for the group. Dr Google had no straight forward answer.

The other day at the PT she mentioned my medial hamstrings were tight. I admitted it was likely running abuse. I stretch my hamstrings out most everyday, a few times a day. Am I overlooking stretching this one? Is it hills? Any idea? How can I stretch it without a partner? (I can't do any type of stretch with a straight leg).

TIA
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Well, I must be running a HM, I just signed up for a training plan on Strava, Starts out with 3 easy runs and a Long Run per week, then switches one of the easy runs to a Tempo, Cruise, Fartlek or Progression run, starting week 3/10. All the running is based on time running, not distance, so this should be a new experience.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 3 miles
    4/2 - 5m
    4/4 - 3m
    4/5 - 4m
    4/6 - 4m
    4/8 - 3m
    4/9 - 5m
    4/11 - 3m
    4/12 - 2.5m
    4/13 - 4.5m
    4/14 - 1m (supposed to be rest day but making up for lost ground)
    4/15 - 3m
    4/16 - 5m
    4/18 - 3m
    4/19 - 4m

4/20 - 3m

Total to date: 56 miles
    Apr Goal: 85 miles (65.9% complete)

Need to add a few extra miles in there to hit or beat the target. Maybe some really light runs (1-2m) on "rest" days.
    (I'm not counting walking distances toward the goal)
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    4/03: 8K race - 36:36 (7:22 pace) - new PR! + 1 mile warm up
    4/04: 4 miles, easy
    4/05: 5 miles, easy
    4/06: 5 miles total, 2 miles @ 7:38 (LT) pace (am)
    4/06: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/07: 5 miles, easy
    4/08: Off, rest day
    4/09: Half Marathon - 1:53:11 - treated as a long run with strong finish
    4/10: 4 miles, easy
    4/11: 6 miles, easy
    4/12: 7 miles total, 3x1 mile repeats @ 7:19 pace
    4/13: 6 miles, easy (am)
    4/13: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/14: 8 miles total, 5 miles @ 7:45 (goal HM) pace
    4/15: Off, rest day
    4/16: 6 miles, easy
    4/17: 13 miles, long and easy
    4/18: 6 miles, easy
    4/19: 7 miles total, 3x1 mile repeats @ 5K effort
    4/20: 5 miles, easy (am)
    Total: 126.67 miles

Overview:
    A lazy, kind of lousy 5 miles this morning. It was beautiful and sunny out, but my heart and legs just weren’t feeling it today. Hopefully my evening run will be a little better!

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K) 36:36 - new 8K PR!
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon 1:53:11 - took it nice and easy
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Decided last night I'm bowing out for April. After Monday's easy run, my knee flared up again and I developed a stabbing pain in my rear (sit bone area). So at least 12 days off and I'll see if I can start up again in May. Right now I'm sick of pain and it's starting to interfere with the rest of my life :smiley: Maybe I can get this under control and keep moving forward without a huge break from running like the 8 weeks I had to take last Nov/Dec.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    April oops, forgot to add my races

1-no run yet, maybe later
    2-13.2mi
    3-nothing
    4-nothing
    5-5.35
    6-yoga tonight
    7-nope
    8-late night tonight(ani difranco concert), so no run this morning
    9-nothing
    10-nothing
    11-4.27mi
    12- slept in
    13-yoga (foam rolling-esque aerial yoga)
    14-nothing
    15-nothing
    16-my bacholette party-lots of dancing
    17-recovery from party.
    18-nothing
    19-4.86mi hard one
    20-5.00mi

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - Thanks for the second reflection on Boston. Hopefully the more you reflect on it, the better you will feel about. I feel proud just to be in a virtual running group with someone as amazing as you are!

@greenolivetree - sorry you are having pain and hope to see you running in May!

@WhatMeRunning - wow, I'm jealous of you running in daylight! The wild animals are probably wondering where you are this week. I was out there alone at my usual 4:30am this morning. I don't have a long enough lunch as a teacher to get a run in at lunchtime and in Florida, just too hot.

@MNLittleFinn - So you are up by the Boundary waters? My son did a trip up there about 4 years ago and loved it. It was Outward Bound and he did xc skiing, sleeping outside and sleds. It was January and I was worried sick when I looked at the temps but he was fine. I can't imagine running outside in your winters! :scream:

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 It's "interesting" running when the temps are <0F outside, but it's a great place to live. Summers are great, it's rarely above 80F and is sunny like 90% of the summer.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to catch up later. Hope all are well!

4/1 - 3.5 miles on indoor track + weights/abs
    4/2 - Life day
    4/3 - 10 miles. Very windy.
    4/4 - Rest day.
    4/5 - 4 miles on the treadmill, then weights/abs.
    4/6 - 4.3 miles. Cool, damp and breezy.
    4/7 - 4.5 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    4/8 - Rest day...lots of housework/painting/yardwork
    4/9 - 4.05 mile trail race...super fun with local microbrews at the end! Had way more fun than I expected!
    4/10 - Skipped my long run due to back pain / spasms. Not sure if they were from the trail race or from moving my son's room. Had to skip my planned 10+ mile long run. Hope it gets better fast!
    4/11 - Woke up with continued back pain. Getting cranky.
    4/12 - 4.4 miles. Chilly, but tolerable. Back was tender, but not painful.
    4/13 - 5.43 miles. Went further than planned, because it was beautiful out.
    4/14 - 3.48 mile evening run.
    4/15 - 10.01 miles. UGLY. Hot, humid early afternoon run. Went out too fast. Had to take a short walk break in the middle.
    4/16 - Rest day.
    4/17 - 5.19 miles. Cool, comfortable.
    4/18 - 4.72 miles.
    4/19 - 3.98 miles while my daughter had soccer practice

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Due to a miscommunication about whether or not the kids had school this morning I did not get my morning run in. So I fit in a lunch time 4 mile run.:

Strava is giving me too much info. I wondered by your run's title of "Lunch Run" why you weren't dodging spiders and vampires and cougars in the dark. :smiley:

I'm trying to figure out how you do or don't know your kids have school :smiley:

@greenolivetree sorry to hear of the pain, you are right though taking some good solid rest time might just be the answer
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Due to a miscommunication about whether or not the kids had school this morning I did not get my morning run in. So I fit in a lunch time 4 mile run.:

Strava is giving me too much info. I wondered by your run's title of "Lunch Run" why you weren't dodging spiders and vampires and cougars in the dark. :smiley:

I'm trying to figure out how you do or don't know your kids have school :smiley:
    Well, my wife mentioned last week when they had Friday off of school that she was sure they were off on Tuesday as well, but I had not heard anything. So she looked at the school calendar online and it showed it as an off day. Turns out she later learned that they removed that off day on Tuesday and shortened the school year by a day but did not update the online calendar. She says she told me so I should have known (that has been known to happen), but I went ahead and shut off my alarms for Tuesday morning so I could sleep in until late like 5am or maybe even go crazy and sleep in until 6am, whenever I finally woke up basically. Then my 16 year old son woke me at 6:04 saying we were running late. When I reminded him there was no school both he and my wife let me know I was crazy and they did indeed have school. :confounded:
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 70 Miles for April

4/2 – 8.77 Mi
    4/6 – 5.55 Mi
    4/11 – 4.28 Mi
    4/20 – 3.59 Mi

Progress toward Goal 22.19 / 70
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    So I decided against my normal better judgement to sleep in and run later in order to make the run more challenging due to sunny, warm weather (heavens forbid). I felt it on the last mile with my HR creeping up, but the first 3 miles were quite pleasant. Despite being outside of normal vampire hours, I did have to scare off a few squirrels and rabbits, and even heard an owl (but couldn't see it because, you know, the sun was out.:smiley:

4/1 - Rest
    4/2 - 14 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles
    4/5 - 5 miles
    4/6 - 8 miles
    4/7 - 5 miles
    4/8 - Rest
    4/9 - 13.1 miles
    4/10 - 5 miles
    4/11 - 5 miles
    4/12 - 5 miles
    4/13 - 8.3 miles
    4/14 - 5 miles
    4/15 - Rest
    4/16 - 13.3 miles
    4/17 - 5 miles
    4/18 - 4 miles
    4/19 - 4 miles
    4/20 - 4 miles

113.7/160 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    2 miles this morning.
    exercise.png
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Adding 2.95 miles last night and 3.35 miles this morning. Last night's run was intervals and my quads were having a tough time keeping up on this morning's easy run because of how well intervals went last night. I wouldn't normally run the day after doing intervals but I had to miss running on Monday because my son was home sick.
    exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're out for the rest of the month, @greenolivetree , but it does sound like you need a full rest so you can get back out there consistently.

@WhatMeRunning I can't imagine doing an elliptical for 3 hours. I've done 2 120-minute-plus training runs on a treadmill--at around 11 and 12 miles each. They were only bearable due to the fact that they were in an exercise cinema...otherwise I might have just laid down and died of sorrow and boredom after the first five miles. On an elliptical, not even a movie would keep my poor feet awake!

4/1...5.0 @ 12:00 on the TM (4.0 @ 11:15 and 1.0 walking)
    4/2....3.1 @ 11:45 through the neighborhood. My ankle hurt the first mile or so, especially on the uphill bits--downhill isn't too bad
    4/3...Rest day
    4/4...4.6 @ 11:32 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/5...2.8 @ 11:50 on the TM--that's 2.3 (just to make it even!) @ 11:15 and .5 at a walk, plus strength training
    4/6...Rest day, but I got to go help out at my son's RunFit club. Next time I'm wearing my own running shoes so I can chase him with a sharp stick so he doesn't walk so much! (That was a joke...don't call CPS or Jeff Galloway...)
    4/7...7.0 @ 11:25 on the TM (This was really 6.25 at 11:05 and .75 walking to cool down)
    4/8...2.0 @ 12:06 (just had a short time to run while the kids were at gym)
    4/9...Unintended rest day. I got dressed to run...that counts for something, right? LOL
    4/10...4.6 @ 13:39 with the slow poke pup. We ran about 3 miles in the 12:00 neighborhood and walked the rest. Well, I walked. He sniffed and did...doggy stuff.
    4/11...3.0 @ 12:00 ish on the basement beheamoth. The kiddos were home sick from school so I was grounded, too.
    4/12...2.25 @ 12:00 on the treadmill and strength training
    4/13...6.2 @ 12:34 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/14...Rest Day
    4/15...4.75 @ 11:56 on the park trail. I decided to try running with earbuds so I couldn't hear my phone telling me how fast I was going. I settled in to a nice easy pace, but I didn't hold back either. This is the pace I love to run, and it was remarkably consistent, with splits of 11:55, 11:46, 12:03, 11:51 and 12:00.
    4/16-17 I've been a slug with a terrible head cold, so no running.
    4/18...5.0 @ 12:23 My first run in the heat...I was wilting by mile 4. The funny thing is that I looked at last year's run for today and lo and behold, I told myself then that I should remember water and sunscreen. Some people never learn!
    4/19...3.5 @ 13:16 Ugh. I started out with the dog and then had to bring him back home because he just wouldn't get with the program. And then I was just sluggish with breathing troubles (oh, Spring, you are lovely but sneezy!!) It's probably good for me to just do a nice, easy run, but I was still a little disappointed.
    4/20...4.75 @ 12:06 on the park trail. I'll be honest and say that I'm surprised my time was this slow--it felt like I was flying. It was a really nice run, though, and the weather was perfect. I think I was smiling the whole time. The smile was probably because of these:

rpvnc0cvxy8v.jpg
    New Brooks Cascadia trail shoes! They are so much more comfortable than my old trail shoes. They feel like they have more cushioning and they're a half-size smaller. I think I sized up too much with my Peregrines, and I always struggled with my toes bumping into the toe box because no matter how I laced them, my foot slid around. I'll need to try them on the forest trail to see how the traction is...they aren't as bumpy as the Peregrines (which are still slippery sometimes), but I think my stride isn't aggressive enough to really take advantage of them anyway. I also got a new pair of Saucony Guide 9s but I haven't taken a picture yet. I hope I like the redesign on those--I thought the 8s were pretty much the perfect shoe for me and I've gone through 3 pair in the past year.

Upcoming races:
    4/23 Community 10K Burke, VA
    5/21 RunFitKidz 5K Springfield, VA
    6/12 Celebrate Fairfax 5K Fairfax, VA

exercise.png