I can't run

Options

Replies

• RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Losing weight by calorie restriction does nothing to improve cardiovascular function.

No, but less weight = less stress on your body. I tried starting an exercise program at 220# and it was painful. I waited and have now restarted it at 197#. MUCH easier!
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I first started I could not even walk for 10 straight minutes without being out of breath. It has to do with your weight and cardiovascular fitness, which improves with time by losing weight and doing more cardio. You are also going too fast for your fitness level. Run as slow as possible at first (I started running slower than I could walk!) and follow a gradual running program.

Here is a reasonable program (don't be afraid of repeating weeks if a certain week feels too hard):

np2f8ida88lo.png
    So walk. Walk at a rate which gets your heart rate up a little bit in 30 minutes, but doesn't make your chest want to explode. Do that for a month then try speeding up by 0.5 mph. Your cardiovascular system is weak. Make it work, and it will respond by getting stronger. You'll be up to running in a few months.

Thanks a lot for the great advice guys the only issue is I've been trying to run for about three months now but it's not getting better. But thank you :)
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The weight loss will make all the difference. Your muscles are using oxygen at a high rate, and your level of fitness hasn't adapted yet. try the walk-run method. the couch to 5k app is great. and run slower than you think you should.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Losing weight by calorie restriction does nothing to improve cardiovascular function.

It doesn't, but try to run carrying a 50 pound bag and see how it feels. Shedding weight makes running relatively easier because the weight you need to shift decreases.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    two things.

First - get off the dreadmill and go outside. Very few people in the world naturally run at the same exact pace all the time. Most people have variation in pace that can make the treadmill problematic if that variation is on the larger side (which it tends to be when you're starting out). I personally can't run on the treadmill for more than 15-20 minutes, or else my hips start to bother me because my form gets all goofy due to me adjusting my gait to the treadmill. But I can run outside with no issues, because I don't have a machine detrimentally effecting my form.

Second - do run/walk intervals. You can do something structured, like C25K, or you can do something unstructured, like FARTLEKS (basically, you pick a target and run to that target, then pick another target and walk to that target, etc - this also works as speed drills once you've built up endurance...ie sprint to target a, slow jog to target b, etc). :)
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    RA60172 wrote: »
    A trick I used during my military days was chewing gum while running. I focused on one foot in front of the other and chewing my gum, and that forced better breathing to become more second nature. I found my breathing to be off when I focused on it.

• myfightforfitness
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    two things.

First - get off the dreadmill and go outside. Very few people in the world naturally run at the same exact pace all the time. Most people have variation in pace that can make the treadmill problematic if that variation is on the larger side (which it tends to be when you're starting out). I personally can't run on the treadmill for more than 15-20 minutes, or else my hips start to bother me because my form gets all goofy due to me adjusting my gait to the treadmill. But I can run outside with no issues, because I don't have a machine detrimentally effecting my form.

Second - do run/walk intervals. You can do something structured, like C25K, or you can do something unstructured, like FARTLEKS (basically, you pick a target and run to that target, then pick another target and walk to that target, etc - this also works as speed drills once you've built up endurance...ie sprint to target a, slow jog to target b, etc). :)
    The weight loss will make all the difference. Your muscles are using oxygen at a high rate, and your level of fitness hasn't adapted yet. try the walk-run method. the couch to 5k app is great. and run slower than you think you should.

Thanks so so much for the advice!!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build. I would say to do some fast paced walking until you are up to three miles. You should be walking fast enough to almost get winded but should be able to talk. Do this often enough to build some strength and you should start feel that it is getting easier. Then start adding some running in and gradually increase the time. When I started I was breathing so heavy that I thought "no way", now I run races and half marathons. I never dreamed I would do that.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Sounds like endurance issue to me. Back when I first began, I was lucky if I lasted 15 seconds. ALOT of walking for months later and I could finally last longer. It took me 10 months from my starting point of just walking to be able to run a 5k.

C25k might also help with that since it's intervals.
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Start slow and build. I would say to do some fast paced walking until you are up to three miles. You should be walking fast enough to almost get winded but should be able to talk. Do this often enough to build some strength and you should start feel that it is getting easier. Then start adding some running in and gradually increase the time. When I started I was breathing so heavy that I thought "no way", now I run races and half marathons. I never dreamed I would do that.

Yes will definitely try this thank you and well done great achievement :#
  • lynette4
    lynette4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It may take you more than 3 months to build up. Running takes time and patience. But I did have one thought, how are your arms/shoulders/chest muscles and even your hands when you run? If you are tense, making fists or hunched over it makes it difficult for your lungs to expand. When you are running try to focus on your upper body.. it needs to feel loose and your hands need to be relaxed. When I run I will shake my arms out every so often when I am feeling like its harder to breath than usual and that usually does the trick for me
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    C25k is a great program. If you want something a little less structured, Zombies Run 5k is great as well.

Also, don't worry if you have to repeat some of the weeks. I did C25k last year, and it took me about 13 weeks to complete the program. I had to repeat a couple of weeks and once went back a week. It can feel discouraging, but just think how far you came :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Can you run/walk? When I began running, I would literally run for 30 seconds, walk to recover, and then run again. There are structured programs out there that will gradually increase your running time. I never could have run more than a few minutes when I started. Now I can run for a couple of hours if I want to.

Yeah that's exactly what I do! Run for 30 seconds and walk until I catch my breath. Do you have any tips to try run for longer? Or will it naturally happen when I lose more weight? Thanks for the advice :)

In my experience, the longer you run, the easier it is to run. Losing weight will make it easier on your joints and require less overall energy to move yourself around. But building the cardio part will happen as long as you are consistent.

• myfightforfitness
    Options
    Can you run/walk? When I began running, I would literally run for 30 seconds, walk to recover, and then run again. There are structured programs out there that will gradually increase your running time. I never could have run more than a few minutes when I started. Now I can run for a couple of hours if I want to.

Yeah that's exactly what I do! Run for 30 seconds and walk until I catch my breath. Do you have any tips to try run for longer? Or will it naturally happen when I lose more weight? Thanks for the advice :)

In my experience, the longer you run, the easier it is to run. Losing weight will make it easier on your joints and require less overall energy to move yourself around. But building the cardio part will happen as long as you are consistent.
    JennieMaeK wrote: »
    C25k is a great program. If you want something a little less structured, Zombies Run 5k is great as well.

Also, don't worry if you have to repeat some of the weeks. I did C25k last year, and it took me about 13 weeks to complete the program. I had to repeat a couple of weeks and once went back a week. It can feel discouraging, but just think how far you came :)

Thanks ever so much :D:D
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Sounds like endurance issue to me. Back when I first began, I was lucky if I lasted 15 seconds. ALOT of walking for months later and I could finally last longer. It took me 10 months from my starting point of just walking to be able to run a 5k.

C25k might also help with that since it's intervals.

Thank you B)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    I think you're probably running too fast. When I started, my "run" was barely faster than my fast walk. Keep at it. I admire your tenacity! :)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, you are probably going too fast. And if you aren't doing it regularly enough you won't improve.

Stick to a structured program (the one above is fine, or Couch to 5k). Do it 3x a week with a non-running day in between. When you run you need to actually think "jog". You need to be able to pass the talk test. If you can't say a few sentences without gasping for breath you are going to fast. SLOW DOWN. Do not worry about speed at this point, speed will come later. I shuffle more than I do walk/jog, but I can shuffle for longer distances than I ever thought possible before.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I think you're probably running too fast. When I started, my "run" was barely faster than my fast walk. Keep at it. I admire your tenacity! :)

Same here! I could walk at 6 km/h but my running speed when I started was 5.5 km/h (that's 3.4 mile/h for the weird measurements inclined). Any slower than that and I would start losing balance. I currently run a normal jogging pace, so speed does organically improve with time.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am the same way!! In to hear the answers lol
  • KristenNagle1
    KristenNagle1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I weigh over 300 lbs and I can run for 30 minutes right now - Im just going 3 mph. Even though that is a walking speed, I pick my legs up and move as a runner. I sweat like CRAZY and really feel like I am running. I would just find a speed you are comfortable with.