An Open Letter to Cottage Cheese

Options

Replies

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Dear @Chi_Warrior,

Have you met my cousin, Ricotta? She's a bit of lovely stuff so check her out. You two might get along.

Your friend,
    Cottage Cheese

PS: No hard feelings! I totally understand. Sometimes I can be too salty.
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My fav way is cottage cheese (plain) topped with chopped avocado, tomatoes and salted sunflower seed. Seriously, DELICIOUS!!!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I just can't with cottage cheese. I want to like it but I just can't get past the lumpiness.

some of the recipes i have actually call for blending it-so it's smooth
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    I used to eat it as a kid but it seems so salty to me now.
    add jam

When I ate it as a kid, we had grape jelly mixed in. I find that a little weird now, but like it plain, so all good :)
  • sstini55
    sstini55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Smoothie- cottage cheese, almond milk, blackberries or raspberries, fresh ginger, raw honey, flax & chia seeds.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    I didn't know cottage cheese came in different flavors. I guess it's been a while since I've had it, too!

My favorite was always cottage cheese with pineapple though. I might need to get back into that.

Boy, does it ever! I don't think I would have had the courage to get it if I had to get plain stuff. Maybe one day.

Ummm what! What are the flavors? I've never actually gone shopping for cottage cheese, just eat it at the restaurant I work at as my side job. Tell me more about the flavors!! :D

Yes! When I actually decided I was gonna get some I was like "What? Choices? No way! Should I get chive & onion or garden vegetable?" I went with chive & onion. But they also had a pineapple one and maybe another fruit one plus two or 3 other flavors.

Wait - are we talking about cottage cheese or cream cheese? I've used those flavors in Philadelphia cream cheese. If it is indeed cottage cheese, however, I'm so jealous!! We don't have anything like that here!

It is absolutely cottage cheese! I think I got Hood brand.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I just got some Hood pineapple AND CHERRY! cottage cheese. I didn't know that existed. In my mind, I've already eaten the whole tub.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you can find the brand Kalona (http://www.kalonasupernatural.com/our-products/cottage-cheese/organic-cottage-cheese/), and it can be a bit hard to find, you will become an ADDICT. I swear. I have never been able to handle cottage cheese, and even the Organic Valley, 4%, cream top, grass fed cottage cheese is a little waxy. I don't know what they do at Kalona, but I find myself hurrying to get home just so I can have some. I eat it straight.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I made a similar apology. I was convinced that I hated the stuff, probably from tasting it in childhood. When I changed my lifestyle, I knew it would be a good and convenient item to have in my diet. I picked up the Breakstone Doubles with fruit, and loved it! Now I eat it all the time. My favorite is with pineapple, sometimes with a handful of chocolate chips as dessert.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I love plain low fat cottage cheese. I could eat it every day. I like it just like it is--with nothing in it. Sure, I've eaten fruit in it when I was younger, but, now, I don't even want that in it. It's so good and creamy.
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is so versatile! I can have with cut up fruit or with hot sauce/salsa. I have it this week with tropical fruit that was canned in fruit juice, I put the juice in my herbal tea as a treat!
  • miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My mom LOVED cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes when I was a kid, and I tried it once and gagged. I've been leery of trying it ever since. But I was also the same with cream cheese (which I LOVE) and avocado (which I'm obsessed with), so I imagine cottage cheese is something I should run with!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, a little basil pesto, feta cheese, Italian herbs = OMG good
    cottage cheese, finely diced onion, fresh tomato, cracked pepper = really good too
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Try it with apples, walnuts and a little cinnamon. YUM!

I may have to! I'll have to get a plain flavor first - the one I picked up is like a chive & onion flavor. :D

They make flavored cottage cheese?! WHAT!

My favorite cottage cheese mix is tomatoes, half an avocado with salt & pepper
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with chopped up sundried tomatoes yum.
    Love it on a jacket potato with baked beans
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Looove cottage cheese! With pears or peaches, or Jello! It's lovely with lime jello.
  • chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, never noticed flavored ones before. I'll be keeping an eye out.
    One thing I like to do is have some on the side with spaghetti or ghoulash and mix it in, very delicious!
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Tried it with salsa and some Tostitos scoops last night. Delicious, this will be a new snack on my list.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with its texture still. I've been adding things to it though. I want to love it haha
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like it the Hungarian way, with fruit and wrapped up in a crepe.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    On toast with salt and pepper is the dreamy, extra good if you butter the toast. But I don't do that any more.