Options

Replies

• mfmetsker
    mfmetsker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Love the tootsie roll tip. Dark chocolate and wine sound very doable
    mfmetsker wrote: »
    I'm 5'7, 175(+-) 32 y/0, desk job/ sahm

I'm logging around 1600 per day now when I don't blow it on a binge day.

I have a feeling that you'll be disappointed with that calorie per day setting.

Is 1600 too low?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Love the tootsie roll tip. Dark chocolate and wine sound very doable

I have a feeling that you'll be disappointed with that calorie per day setting.

Is 1600 too low?

Sorry, it's too high, in my opinion. I have a similar stats and that's what I go by to share with you. I walk averagely and keep active most of the time, ie not sitting down. My 1 lbs/week loss mainly comes from intense exercise. I eat 1300 to 1500 / day

Like me you also like to binge (little or a lot) once in a while. :)

But try your number for 2 weeks and make adjustment.
  • mfmetsker
    Options
    Thank you! I'm always worried about dropping too low and Eating my muscle, like I did with HCG.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    I worry about that too. That's why the weekly feedback of the number of lbs lost is important. Shouldn't be too high but shouldn't be nonexistent either that could hurt your effort.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Just to give you a comparison point, I'm an inch taller than you, a year older, and don't have kids to chase, but have otherwise similar stats. I lose a pound a week fairly consistently on 1700 calories/day. Play with your numbers, track as accurately as you can manage, and adjust as needed.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    I don't do this but why not try doing cardio everyday like 800 - 1000 and eat those Cal back maybe not all but 3/4 maybe?

I work full time from home and have 2 kids little kids who don't even let me pee by myself. If I did that one of them would likely end up riding their bikes in the highway. Good suggestion though. No excuses though - that's just not sustainable for me

Can the kids take a walk with you? Ride bikes with you? Be pushed in a stroller by you? You might find getting that energy out of them via a walk will relax all three of you.
  • mfmetsker
    Options

Just to give you a comparison point, I'm an inch taller than you, a year older, and don't have kids to chase, but have otherwise similar stats. I lose a pound a week fairly consistently on 1700 calories/day. Play with your numbers, track as accurately as you can manage, and adjust as needed.

Thanks! I always like a good reference point from real people, not just a caluclator
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I had to switch to long-term mentality. Someone on a thread I read said that the time will pass anyway...it can pass getting you closer to or further away from your goal:) I love that! Even if it's 1/4-1/2 lb per week it's getting you closer to goal, so find the highest calories you can still lose on and stick to that for awhile. I eat low cal snacks during the day (carrots with ff Italian dressing, apple slices) so I save calories for chocolate or frozen dark sweet cherries at night in bed usually:)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I think we will always be able to accomplish what we make time for. I have three kids under 4 and am able to workout 6 times a week- sure it's often midnight-1am and I'm cursing the instructor's name, but I make it happen because I've decided its a priority for me. So adding more cardio as the PP suggested can be achieved (even if its carved out of sleep :( ) if you really want to. If you don't that's fine too, but its definitely an option if you want, don't feel like you're trapped in mom world (I know as a mom that's hard because we put so much into everyone else and then wonder where the hell we fit. I feel bad carving out my own time!).

Re: caloric consumption I'm 5'9" and the same weight as you and eating closer to 1,100-1,300 (while breastfeeding) but am definitely not starving as I follow LCHF which has satiety benefits. Which low carb faction did you follow in the past? What was the issue you had in staying on the WOE? Are you losing (even marginally) when you stick stringently to the 1,600 calorie limit? I would gain on 1,600 but I also have a kind of garbage metabolism.

Hang in there, once you sort out how you want to move forward with your deficit you're going to do great!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I lost all my weight eating around 1800-2000 calories. I'm glad I started with such a small deficit because I never would have stuck with it had I had a bigger deficit.
    I can NOT sleep when I'm hungry. I save 200 - 300 every night right before bed so i don't go to sleep hungry
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,657 Member
    Options
    Use a moderate deficit and eat your exercise calories back (this means -250 which might be too slow for you; or -500... but not beyond that).

Use a trending weight application and load at least one complete monthly cycle's worth of weigh ins before you fully trust the trends. This will help you separate water weight variation from the underlying weight level change over time.

Realize that there is no special prize for getting there faster. Nothing new and exciting will happen when you hit maintenance... not if you've done this in a slow and methodical fashion.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Realize that there is no special prize for getting there faster. Nothing new and exciting will happen when you hit maintenance... not if you've done this in a slow and methodical fashion.

...Except when you want to get off certain meds (eg high blood pressure), heal your painful knees to get back in activities asap. :)

Speed is one thing. Proving to yourself that you can do it is another thing which is important. It's common to hear people giving up when there's no progress. Be aware.
  • gl6h2
    gl6h2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe try no carb diet? You don't have to count calories in a low carb diet and you can eat whenever you want. I don't recommend it because I prefer to count calories and still eat carbs.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    gl6h2 wrote: »
    Maybe try no carb diet? You don't have to count calories in a low carb diet and you can eat whenever you want. I don't recommend it because I prefer to count calories and still eat carbs.

You have to count on a low carb diet. Alot of people get fat thinking you don't have to. CICO is CICO.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    ...Except when you want to get off certain meds (eg high blood pressure), heal your painful knees to get back in activities asap. :)
    Speed is one thing. Proving to yourself that you can do it is another thing which is important. It's common to hear people giving up when there's no progress. Be aware.

for everyone who gives up because of the lack of progress associated with a moderate deficit there are 10 who lose weight fast and then regain it + a bit IN PART because they only know how to either hard core diet or NOT diet at all...

But they never use the time of weight loss to develop new LONG term relationships between food, movement, and exercise.

ANYONE who puts in 3 hours on the elliptical and "diets" will lose weight.

The question is have they created a sustainable lifestyle? Do they now have the tools they need to cope with adversity? Injury? Inability to exercise due to illness? Have they changed the way they think about food, movement and exercise? Have they explored emotional issues that may be attached to their eating? Had enough time to deal with relationships with people around them, relationships that may contribute to unhealthy eating habits?

Losing weight is just the buy in into the long term game of not gaining the weight back.

I happen to think that the most important aspect of weight loss is not the weight loss itself; but, rather how you use the process to position yourself for the long term game!

So yes, people who are impatient will not do well with a moderate deficit. They will get discouraged and give up before they even learn how to use a trending weight app.

The solution, however, is not a larger deficit that will gratify their desire for speed; the solution is for them to become more patient :smiley:

Good post. One should be aware of all these points and probably a bit more to be successful.
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Same here. I'm 5'8", 168 lbs, desk job 8-5, 37 YO and I rarely eat below 1700 when I am trying to maintain a 500 calorie deficit. Usually I eat closer to 2000 if I go to the gym that day. I use a FitBit and it helps A LOT with motivation to go on short walks throughout the day.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I started low carbs 13 weeks ago. I am never hungry and have lost 46 pounds. look into it
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Starving not an option.
  • mfmetsker
    Options
    Update: I've competed almost the first week and have managed to count all my calories (even the bad ones that I would normally pretend didn't happen). I'm going for about a 500 calorie deficit. I'd rather it take twice as long to lose the weight and have it stay off.

As for low carb- there are two reasons that it doesn't work for me:
    1. I tend to have an all or nothing personality and any slip off the HFLC diet meant a week to month of "YOLO" behavior.
    2. I operate on a low serotonin system and cutting the carbs was very dangerous for that.