What was the main thing you did to help you lose the weight?

Options

Replies

• dahliagrower11
    dahliagrower11 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For me it's getting the portion size under control. If I am logging my food intake then I am accountable to that number. For me the other big one is managing stress as when I'm very stressed I eat more and move less. Eventually it will be important to do the cardio 3 x a day but if you only do that and don't manage what's going in then you won't lose any weight.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yep. Getting a digital scale and learning how to be patient. :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Two things: Eating at a moderate caloric deficit by learning what actual portion sizes are (Sadly, an overflowing bowl of cereal is not "a recommended serving size" lol) and using a food scale so I can be in control of how much I eat. Being patient is also pretty necessary if you want to be successful in the long run.

Through the learning process, I figured out what kinds of foods to eat that help me not be hungry all the time and that properly fuel me. I also got a treadmill and started walking.

• opalquartz
    opalquartz Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Focusing on fitting in as many nutrient-dense foods as I can into my diet to fuel my body and keep it healthy, rather than focusing on what I "can't" or "shouldn't" eat.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I never used a scale. Ive lost 30lbs but maybe it would help the rest.

But mine has just been about what i eat. I eat generally healthy with a few slip ups.

I have a cheat meal not a whole cheat day about once a week.

I dont eat back my exercise calories thats a waste. But if your workout makes you extra hungry try not to eat more than 50% of them back.

Dont get discouraged during a plateau it took me 6 1/2 months to lose 30 lbs and the very first 15lbs took less than a month to come off so 5 months and 15lbs but its been well worth it.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I dont weight my food yet just log it, but I exercise daily burning between 400-100 calories
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Finding a workout that I actually liked! At the start of my journey (start after my daughter was born) I would use a treadmill for my workouts and I dreaded every minute of it.

I found workouts I loved to do and it made everything smoother!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    For me: reducing and nearly eliminating alcohol from my diet and changing up my workout routine regularly.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    jax_006 wrote: »
    What was the main contributor that helped you lose the weight you did? I am looking to readjust things for myself. I would love to hear some insight from the MFP community :) thanks!

You are already doing one of the biggest things that I'm doing -- making adjustments (for better). :)

I keep updating my approach, finding new things to make it easier.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Counting calories..
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    CICO and keeping my sodium under 1500 mg (for blood pressure, but has the added benefit of no water weight...and no swollen feet!!!!)
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Exercise and reducing simple carbs
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    42firm03 wrote: »
    In addition to sticking to a calorie deficit and weighing my food?

Finally grasping that it takes time. Allowing it to take time and getting over the fact that it wasn't going to be fast. This finally allowed me to do the first part long enough to get 60lbs off myself.

I have more to lose but not being morbidly obese is awesome and well worth the patience.

This, exactly. I stick to a calorie deficit and weigh all food in addition to working out for a cardio health and a little additional deficit.

In the past I was entirely too impatient. I have(had) a lot of weight to lose (100 pounds) and starting from the beginning was scary. I have been up and down for years because when I didn't see the weight coming off "fast enough" I would become frustrated and give up. I've also finally just kept on trucking, knowing that my diligence would pay off. And 60 pounds later, it sure has. I've got 40 more to go, and I'm well aware it's going to take some more time, so I'll just stick with it!

One day at a time!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    I never used a scale. Ive lost 30lbs but maybe it would help the rest.

But mine has just been about what i eat. I eat generally healthy with a few slip ups.

I have a cheat meal not a whole cheat day about once a week.

I dont eat back my exercise calories thats a waste. But if your workout makes you extra hungry try not to eat more than 50% of them back.

Dont get discouraged during a plateau it took me 6 1/2 months to lose 30 lbs and the very first 15lbs took less than a month to come off so 5 months and 15lbs but its been well worth it.

why call it a cheat meal...are you married to your food? gives it a bad vibe and why not incorporate the food you like in your weight loss?

MFP is setup to eat back exercise calories actually to say it's a waste is not true. You don't need to exercise to lose weight and with MFP it's a bonus amount to eat more food.

plateaus happen when you are at maintenance...not when your body doesn't want to burn more fat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Exercise and reducing simple carbs

this is not required for weight loss.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Using MFP to count calories and stay in a healthy deficit.