Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Shame - does it hinder or help you lose or gain weight?

Options
100df
100df Posts: 668 Member
The fat acceptance thread meandered a little into shame. I would like a discussion devoted to it. Some posters say it's good for a fat person to feel ashamed of their weight because it causes them to do something about it. Some posters disagreed.

For me, shame is how I gained weight. I am ashamed of being overweight. I believe that shame contributes to me maintaining the high weight. Getting over the shame is helping me lose it.

What is your experience? Does shame help you lose weight?

Does someone who says something that causes you to feel shame help or hinder you?

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    For me, I could not take the steps I needed to take and actually consistently stick to anything until I found a way to give up shame and guilt and accept my body for the way it is/was at the time. Acceptance has always done more for my weight and mental health than shame.

This. Exactly this.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »

Does someone who says something that causes you to feel shame help or hinder you?

My experience was that a positive attitude and liking myself no matter what size I was was much more motivating to get healthy than feeling shame. Negative comments from others did not help me to lose weight.

I lost weight more succesful when I wasn't emotional about it- just recognizing my problem, honest tracking and CICO.
  • reddevil614
    reddevil614 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go anywhere after I put on weight, I felt immense shame. I then had a child and bought a house in the town I grew up in. it became debilitating to not go anywhere cause I didn't want anyone I knew or used to know to see that I got fat. but I realized I was hurting my son by not bringing him to fairs, egg hunts, Santa breakfast, etc. I also got laid off from a work at home job of 12yrs or so and have to now go on interviews and physically go to a job ...so shame did force me to make this life style change, but it was my own shame of hurting my son and having to go on interviews....I don't advocate for shaming others and no one shamed me, I just felt immense shame at the way I looked and that I was hurting my son from having a memorable childhood cause of my own issues....but, I am now down almost 35lbs and I look like a normal person now who's only about 20 lbs overweight and can now go to stores or out to eat or to the park without the fear of running into a high school friend or ex and having them point and laugh
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    The fat acceptance thread meandered a little into shame. I would like a discussion devoted to it. Some posters say it's good for a fat person to feel ashamed of their weight because it causes them to do something about it. Some posters disagreed.

For me, shame is how I gained weight. I am ashamed of being overweight. I believe that shame contributes to me maintaining the high weight. Getting over the shame is helping me lose it.

Great topic. No one ever said anything negative about my weight. But I remember seeing a really unflattering picture of myself and feeling embarrassed and that's when I really took control.

Today I'm much closer to goal weight but never feel totally comfortable in my skin. It drives me to keep at it, and also to wear clothes that I think are flattering and make me feel good. So then I feel good and not shamed. Lol. I don't know.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    For me, I could not take the steps I needed to take and actually consistently stick to anything until I found a way to give up shame and guilt and accept my body for the way it is/was at the time. Acceptance has always done more for my weight and mental health than shame.

This is how it has been for me. Giving up the shame and guilt isn't simple. Easy for those emotions to sneak in.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    It hinders me. My mother was always pushing me to lose weight at a young age, even when I was healthy just because she didn't like the way I looked. Doctors told her I was fine, but she wanted me to be as stick thin as she was at my age. Tsk tsk.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think at best, shame can be short-term motivation but even then if it involves being unhappy and feeling ashamed of oneself, I think I'd rather just take the extra weight.

I do not think generally shame or embarrassment or substantial unhappiness leads to long-term positive results and generally not a happy way to live.