Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    spkout2005 wrote: »
    Yup but under 50 carbs a day its tough

@spkout2005 since I have no urge to eat carbs it is no harder for me than remembering to use my turn signals when driving.

Let me tell you what is tough in my experience even today. It is the HIDDEN CARBS even in tap water (being facetious now). I just track total carbs and hope the fiber carbs are enough to cancel out the hidden carbs.

Seriously any form of keto is hard at first because it goes against the false mainstream myths preached for the last 50 years about fats and cholesterol for example.

Doing NO packaged processed carbs period saves my butt a lot of trouble. :)

20 months into full time Nutritional Ketosis I often eat fast food twice daily with great success.

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and have two teenagers watching me slip closer to the grave each year. Now I have proven a WOE they can try if AS comes their way or their future children.

I was able to finish my OD degree (SCO Memphis TN 1986) before my deformations got so bad and I now am approaching 1000 hours of self study on how to reverse my failing health for both myself and future family members. The HLA-B27 gentic factor runs in my family. I do a lot of reading and watch a lot of doctors speaking at medical conventions. With my healthcare training reading and understanding medical research while not easy it is doable for me. I often read back to back research that come off being 180 degrees different so it does require some critical medical thinking sorting through the research. However like cream in raw cows milk rises to the top of the container so will the more valid research over time.

I try never to post any info that I could not successfully defend in a court room as I was taught in graduate school to be prepared to do. I have no fixed views on any Way Of Eating because there is NO settled science in any health field I have decided at the age of 65.

At this point in time LCHF is working well for me and I plan to continue to do it for life or I find another option that sounds better.

While I eat few carbs I am fully aware carbs are the main food source in most all blue zones (areas where many live to be 100+ years old). While carbs are not required like proteins and fats are required for life they never the less make up a major source of human food world wide.

It seems like it was the processed carbs abuse that messed me up so. With two teenagers our home is full of processed carbs. I am the only one that even tries to be sugar and grain free but that is fine because I am only eating for health and the junk food no longer calls my name. I know most do not believe that. I only post for the few who are seeking better health by their way of eating.

We are all different at many levels. I do not give dieting advice plus social media is not the place one should get specific advice on dieting. It makes me happy to see so many young people working to not screw up their health by eating foods that works against their bodies while still healthy.
  • Ccuser99
    Ccuser99 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm really pleased with the food choices on the keto diet. Im doing 20g net carbs, moderate protein and high fat and after only 2 days I've lost 3lbs! I'm sure it is just water but it is still encouraging. My body fat last Monday was 30.9% so I will do it again on Monday coming to see if it has changed for the better!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Ccuser99 wrote: »
    I'm really pleased with the food choices on the keto diet. Im doing 20g net carbs, moderate protein and high fat and after only 2 days I've lost 3lbs! I'm sure it is just water but it is still encouraging. My body fat last Monday was 30.9% so I will do it again on Monday coming to see if it has changed for the better!

how are you measuring body fat?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I'm assuming using a digital scale, which of course, will show a lower reading when water weight goes down.

I think low carb diets are great, don't get me wrong, I just think "body fat scales" are worthless for anything other than weight. I'm assuming you do as well.
  • Ccuser99
    Options

ive been using the scales at the gym. its a stand on one with hand grips. i know they are not completely accurate, but if i use the same machine each time im hoping with the consistency i will get an idea of bf losses
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I really dig keto.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I do low carb. Can't say I am keto because there are some days a week I eat between 75-100gm of carbs even though most of the time I am under 50gms. Love it! I have better energy, digestion, and the food choices seem to follow my natural rhythm of lots of veg, and protein with yummy fats to top it all off. When I follow my calorie goals I lose eating this way. When it comes down to it, calories are what matter. If keto helps you stay within goal then go for it!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

ive been using the scales at the gym. its a stand on one with hand grips. i know they are not completely accurate, but if i use the same machine each time im hoping with the consistency i will get an idea of bf losses

those are inaccurate, you would be better off getting tested using dexa scan,bod pod or something along those lines,those impedence scales dont know the difference between water weight,muscle mass and so on read up on why they are inaccurate. just like a regular scale can show fluctuations,so could one of those.
  • Ccuser99
    Options
    I do low carb. Can't say I am keto because there are some days a week I eat between 75-100gm of carbs even though most of the time I am under 50gms. Love it! I have better energy, digestion, and the food choices seem to follow my natural rhythm of lots of veg, and protein with yummy fats to top it all off. When I follow my calorie goals I lose eating this way. When it comes down to it, calories are what matter. If keto helps you stay within goal then go for it!

I have noticed that I am finding it much easier to stay in a calorie deficit on the keto woe because I'm not snacking and don't feel hungry until meal time. I am missing chocolate though, specifically minstrels
  • Ccuser99
    Options

those are inaccurate, you would be better off getting tested using dexa scan,bod pod or something along those lines,those impedence scales dont know the difference between water weight,muscle mass and so on read up on why they are inaccurate. just like a regular scale can show fluctuations,so could one of those.

I will have to look into where I can get these done locally as I would prefer to have an accurate measurement
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    DanaDark wrote: »
    The only thing that works is what you can stick with. Anything you can't stick with, won't work.

Scientifically speaking, pretty much every single diet plan works. They are all focused on restriction of some sort (calories, food types, etc.) which all has the same result: reduced total calories eaten.

So, if it works for you and does not have any ill side effects (Health problems, irritation, etc.) then yes, it works and keep at it!

I like that first sentence very much! lol
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I have noticed that I am finding it much easier to stay in a calorie deficit on the keto woe because I'm not snacking and don't feel hungry until meal time. I am missing chocolate though, specifically minstrels

I'm really pleased it's working for you. Water weight or not - it's still weight, makes your tummy flatter and is very motivating... as for minstrels... lol well remember dark chocolate is good for you - and for some reason after eating this way a little while it starts tasting really nice (think it's because the tastebuds change, lol)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My mother has been doing keto since 2005 and she loves it. It helped her lose 60 pounds and keep it off.

I enjoy pizza and French fries too much so I could never do it.

Then you've never had FatHead Pizza crust. Even my carb-chowing husband approved, and my 3 year old couldn't tell the difference! :open_mouth:
  • Ccuser99
    Options
    weighed in this morning, ive lost another 2 lbs! why have i never done this before! haha
  • Ccuser99
    Options

I'm really pleased it's working for you. Water weight or not - it's still weight, makes your tummy flatter and is very motivating... as for minstrels... lol well remember dark chocolate is good for you - and for some reason after eating this way a little while it starts tasting really nice (think it's because the tastebuds change, lol)

i even look forward to planning my meals now too! hehe
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    weighed in this morning, ive lost another 2 lbs! why have i never done this before! haha

personally I don't count the first two weeks of a keto diet :) .. loads of water loss usually
    BUT if defiantly works not the easiest diet and I gave up the second time I tried it but once you get passed the first 2 weeks your body gets used to it
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Duh ... veggies are carbs ... which ones are you including in your food plan, and how much of them? Any fruit? Any dairy?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm another ketofile. :) I've eaten this way for close to a year. I lost 40 lbs pretty effortlessly; eating at a deficit seemed easy (~1500kcal) even when losing about 2lbs per week.

I have found LCHF in general to be helpful to weight loss with thyroid issues. I am now taking meds for hypothyroidism, but about 5 years ago, when I was not yet treated, I temporarily lost 40lbs with a "clean diet" that is hindsight I see was LCHF. It worked very well.... I still remember that blueberry muffin that set me off to regaining my weight though. LOL LCHF worked for me, as long as I stick with it! I am now LCHF for life. :)

Are you taking some sort of T3 for your hypothyroidism? I have found natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) to make a huge difference in my life. The synthetic T4s just didn't cut it fo me.

Good luck. :)
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »

Duh ... veggies are carbs ... which ones are you including in your food plan, and how much of them? Any fruit? Any dairy?

Duh, yes they are!

Keto is not no carb. I eat spinach, asparagus, limited peppers, celery, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. I just punch it in and make sure he carb counts fit in my goals. I have at least 5 servjngs of veg a day. Frui I just do in smaller servings. 1/4cup of berries in my smoothie, half an apple, etc. I have never ever liked fruit. Aside from raspberries. So adding it to my diet in small bits is almost more of a nuciance than anything. I never just think to grab it. Full fat cheeses are high on my list of loved foods, cream, full fat Greek yogurt. I hate milk anyway so all good. This is not a deprivation diet. I eat with only small additions to our normal menus.