Is it ok to eat those 2 oreos you've been craving if you jump on the elliptical and burn the 140 cal

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ZLARZ wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    With less than 15 lbs to lose your goal should be half a pound/week. 3 lbs/week is far too aggressive, no wonder you are hungry all the time! Losing weight quickly may sound great but you are likely losing more muscle than necessary and when you reach your goal weight, may have difficulty transitioning to maintenance.

What is your exercise like? Do you log it? You must not be eating those back so you are netting below 1200 cals. Definitely not good...

I work out 30 mins to hour 5 times a week. Zumba, elliptical, jogging, walking, jillian michaels dvd. I log it all. I always end my day wi th 1200 cals. I either go over and work it off or if I have cals left over I eat.

I use my heart rate monitor to determine how many I burned. I know it's not exact bit it's better than what the machine will tell me. ;)

Now I'm unclear. When you say you end the day with 1200 cals, what does that mean? Are you eating back the exercise cals from your HRM?
  • pinkpsyche
    pinkpsyche Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I personally could never do this because in the past, I didn't stop at 1 or 2. That behavior is what got me into this predicament in the first place of needing to lose over 100 lbs. I was able to bust my cravings (and believe me, I had them BAD!) by just going cold turkey off all whites. I have not looked back. This is what works for me. I guess we all have our vices.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can eat those oreos and you don't have to worry about burning them off. You aren't going to stop losing weight because you went a little bit over your deficit occasionally. You're probably around 250-500 calorie deficit with the calories MFP gave you, so you could even have those 2 oreos and still be at a deficit.
  • ZLARZ
    ZLARZ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    With less than 15 lbs to lose your goal should be half a pound/week. 3 lbs/week is far too aggressive, no wonder you are hungry all the time! Losing weight quickly may sound great but you are likely losing more muscle than necessary and when you reach your goal weight, may have difficulty transitioning to maintenance.

What is your exercise like? Do you log it? You must not be eating those back so you are netting below 1200 cals. Definitely not good...

I work out 30 mins to hour 5 times a week. Zumba, elliptical, jogging, walking, jillian michaels dvd. I log it all. I always end my day wi th 1200 cals. I either go over and work it off or if I have cals left over I eat.

1200 should be your net calorie total. You are eating 1200 and burning what, 300 cals through exercise? That means you are netting 900 cals. Far too little, especially with only 15 lbs to lose. You can probably increase your calorie goal to 1700 or more and still lose the remainder of your weight successfully.

Short term, go eat those Oreos.

No, I was at 1200 cals then ate 2 oreos. So was 140 over. So I just burned 150 cals on elliptical
  • ZLARZ
    Options

I use my heart rate monitor to determine how many I burned. I know it's not exact bit it's better than what the machine will tell me. ;)

Now I'm unclear. When you say you end the day with 1200 cals, what does that mean? Are you eating back the exercise cals from your HRM?

Yes. I was at 1200 already and then ate 2 oreos so I was at 1340 give or take...
    So then I burned 150 on elliptical
  • ZLARZ
    Options
    I'm at 176, goal 135 (similar to you). Eating 1500 - 1600 per day and very happily losing 1.5 lbs/week. I can eat up to 1800 and lose 1 lb per week, so I feel so flexible.

3 lbs a week is way too much for me. You're looking to make changes you can stick with forever, which includes making all your favourite treats fit into your new life and habits.

My personal goal is to lose the weight and feel like I'm not missing out. My "diet" isn't a punishment, it's just a lesson in portion control and compromise/moderation.

Well, I just didn't expect to be able to do the 1200 limit, then I did! Then it started coming off so fast I got addicted! Everything was going great tile here recently when I've gotten hungry between meals suddenly...
    I just want to get to my goal then figure out what cals I need to just maintain. 15 more lbs... I just want to get it off! Then up my cals to maintain and enjoy more foods.
    Thanks for your post.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just curious how many others do this??? I've already reached my calorie limit for the day but I've been drooling for some oreos all week... can eat em then burn em off?

slcfitcollective.com/slc-fit-blog/how-does-blood-sugar-affect-weight-loss

@ZLARZ Note how one stops the ability to burn fat and instead can only store fat when eating in a way that increases blood glucose over 100.

• ZLARZ
    Options
    I'm at 176, goal 135 (similar to you). Eating 1500 - 1600 per day and very happily losing 1.5 lbs/week. I can eat up to 1800 and lose 1 lb per week, so I feel so flexible.

3 lbs a week is way too much for me. You're looking to make changes you can stick with forever, which includes making all your favourite treats fit into your new life and habits.

My personal goal is to lose the weight and feel like I'm not missing out. My "diet" isn't a punishment, it's just a lesson in portion control and compromise/moderation.

Well, I just didn't expect to be able to do the 1200 limit, then I did! Then it started coming off so fast I got addicted! Everything was going great tile here recently when I've gotten hungry between meals suddenly...
    I just want to get to my goal then figure out what cals I need to just maintain. 15 more lbs... I just want to get it off! Then up my cals to maintain and enjoy more foods.
    Thanks for your post.

Did you read the part I posted about rapid weight loss causing a loss of lean muscle mass, creating the dreaded "skinny fat" look and making the transition into maintenance difficult?

If you are consistently losing 3 lbs/week at 1200 cals that means you are at a 1500 cal deficit. If you are stressed so much about eating two Oreos that you have to get on the elliptical, how do you think you're going to handle working in an extra 1500 cals/day to get to your maintenance level?

Well, I have to say I do believe I have th e "skinny fat" vibe going... I'm jiggly
    I don't think my maintaining would be another 1500 cals tho, but I haven't calculated that tho. I
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Just curious how many others do this??? I've already reached my calorie limit for the day but I've been drooling for some oreos all week... can eat em then burn em off?

@ZLARZ Note how one stops the ability to burn fat and instead can only store fat when eating in a way that increases blood glucose over 100.

So those of us that regularly eat sweets in moderation and lose weight are storing fat instead of burning fat?

Per the article one's hormone Insulin level determines at least in part where if one burns fat when CO is > CI or not.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The OP was advised in a earlier post to stop the "biggest loser" shenanigans and eat. OP your are starving yourself and now you've come back to ask again in a round about way "why am I hungry "?
    I'm not one to throw the ED diagnosis at folks because I'm no doctor. But I will say you're bordering on obsessive irrational behaviors per your weight loss journey.

If you need someone to talk to about negative feelings of eating properly and healthy, please seek professional advice. Good luck.
  • berrydana7
    berrydana7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I eat over my calories, I either don't do anything - I don't change my workouts or diet OR I account for it sometime during the week so that my deficit doesn't shrink. So if I go over by 200 calories, I'll reduce 100 calories one day and 100 calories another day. It's up to you though.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Please becareful offering such advice to people who seem to be experiencing symptoms of disordered thinking. It can be dangerous.

You are fully aware I gave no advice in that post. To give or accept dieting advice by the way of social media would be risky behavior at best. The writer of the article points out fat loss in the presents of elevated levels of the hormone Insulin is not going to work out well. That is not advice but a biological fact.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I tend to have cheat days and save the junk food till then
    so I'm usually on 1700 on rest days and 2200 on work out days and on my cheat day I can go up to 3500, I've done 4000 a few times but I try and keep it below 3000..its usually on a Sunday so on Monday I have loads of energy for the gym and actually end up burning more than if I didn't have the cheat day on Sunday so most of it get burnt off. But the cheat day allows me to tell my self when I have cravings.. not today I can eat that on sunday.

If I go to the cinema I always get popcorn (part of the experience for me) but I just make sure I rearrange my diet plan for that day so it fits in with my calories