May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    All you folks racing are making me jealous, It's a long haul for me to get to any races.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not racing next week, so don't blame me. :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning that's only because youve already run more half marathons than I will this year......
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Put in 5 miles today. It was a cold, wet day in Illinois. Hoping the sun comes out soon.

5/75

Should think about looking for a race, but I'm kind of intimidated by the idea, and it seems all the races are early in the morning, and I can't do that. :/
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Like @MNLittleFinn I am envious of the people who have lots of HM and M close to them. My closest community that host's multiple events is 2.5 hrs away. My community is quite small which results in limited Volunteers and Volunteer Burnout.

10 km Trail run today. Was initially supposed to be the Short run day < 8 km. We all felt so good at the top of the Trail that we extended out to do a Power line Trail on the way back to our Vehicles. The Power line company had mowed and brushed the line during the winter so it was a great run - No short willows whipping your legs - Ended up with 10 km.

05/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km
    05/01 – 10.0 Km – 1 0.0 - 130 km – YTD 524.8 km

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - That's way cool that you could BQ while running in costume! Maybe I'll see you at Boston next year.

@kristinegift - It's pretty impressive to have a PR by 13.5 minutes on a day when your legs don't do what you want them to! Maybe Philly will be your race; I know someone who put in a BQ effort at Philly last year after missing a BQ twice earlier in the same year.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    Ok. Got my BQ with 95 seconds in the bank (3:08:25). Full report later but took the first half easy then ran like hell. Yes the horns lit up.

5/1 - 26.2 (Pittsburgh marathon 3:08:25)

Total: 26
    Goal:180
    Remaining: 154
    WOW!!! You mean we get to cheer you on next year in April. Ok, I'm seriously just taking that day off next year. LOVE that picture too. You crack me up.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift you did awesome, and that PR is wicked sweet....13.5 minutes is HUGE!
    @MobyCarp sounds like you have a great plan for the month!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Put in 5 miles today. It was a cold, wet day in Illinois. Hoping the sun comes out soon.

5/75

Should think about looking for a race, but I'm kind of intimidated by the idea, and it seems all the races are early in the morning, and I can't do that. :/

I've run a few that were night runs. They are popular in the summer heat.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    5/1: 26.2 miles (26.5 according to Garmin!)

First things first: I did not BQ, but I did PR by quite a lot! I ran a 3:49:08, which is a 13.5 minute PR from last fall! I kept getting passed by pace group after pace group after I lost the 3:30 group, and it was all I could do to stay ahead of 3:50 in the last 3 miles!

Today was just not my day. I started out solid and was at 8 miles around 64:30, which was spot on. At 8 miles, I planned to drop to a 7:40-7:55 pace. However I told my legs "Go!" and my legs said, "Uh, how about not." I was really hoping this wasn't going to be the case, but knew it might be because of where I am in my lady cycle right now. So I just went by effort and what my legs/quad cramps would let me do (the cramping started, per usual, around 20-21 miles in, despite 5 gels, a bottle of nuun, plenty of Gatorade/water AND 3 salt cap tablets! idk how to avoid it). Also it was drizzling at the start, then lightly raining the rest of the race and pretty darn windy. My shoes were so heavy that I had to stop and retie them tighter because they were almost falling off! I made a decision about 16 miles in that I was not going to BQ, or try, because I'd been passed handily by the 3:35ers by then, so I just wanted to finish the race feeling happy. So I made it a point to smile at spectators, high-five kids, and grin for the cameras. It wasn't my HARDEST marathon to date, but it was definitely really difficult mentally because my legs just weren't cooperating.

Highlights though! My teammate WON THE WOMEN'S DIVISION! Like #1 woman overall. I was so excited for her! I saw her at the out and back as she came to mile 21 and she looked so strong and happy! She's retiring from marathons (allegedly) after this; Boston was going to be her last but she DNF'd because of the heat (decided at mile 14 to walk off the course to her cousin's house because she wasn't having any fun) but she decided last minute to do this race, so at least her last marathon will be a WIN instead of a DNF. Also one of my other teammates/running buddies ran her first 26.2 today and smashed it with a 3:57!! AND another teammate kicked *kitten* with a 3:31 which qualifies her for Boston. So everyone had a super great race today except me (in terms of goal smashing; I am happy with a 3:49, don't get me wrong!)), but sometimes it's just not your day, you know?

Taking a few days off probably and then running light mileage the rest of the month while I decide what I want to do next. I'm signed up for Philly for this November, so I'll be BQ attempting again there. But what to do for the next six months?!

exercise.png

Congratulations!!! Even though you didn't BQ, you did amazing! It sounds like you really pushed through the mental part of it. WTG
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@kristinegift - It's pretty impressive to have a PR by 13.5 minutes on a day when your legs don't do what you want them to! Maybe Philly will be your race; I know someone who put in a BQ effort at Philly last year after missing a BQ twice earlier in the same year.

@MobyCarp Thanks :) Last year at Philly I had an awful, terrible day, so I really just want to run it again to have a GOOD time -- both on the clock and for the memories. It's a great BQ course if you're having a good day! I am sort of toying with running a late May/early June race just to try to BQ again, but I don't think there's any close enough to me that it's feasible. I'd be looking at a 6-7 hour drive + hotels, and I'm too broke. Blegh. I just really wanted to do Boston in 2017 after all the hype and excitement this year! But at least Boston will stick around!

And Congrats @Ohhim on a spectacular race! and on the BQ! I can't believe you can run that fast in costume. Blows my mind.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    May 1 - 17km run.

Total 17 km goal 120 km.

Other goals include active cycling, weight training, parkour, climbing and stretching. I'll be doing something at least 5 days a week. Injury free training!

Current sports read: natural born heroes.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    To all newbies: no goal is too low! We all started there. Just stick with it and get addicted like we are. Then you too will be obsessed ... buying too many shoes, talk about running all the time, tell yourself not to bore your co-workers with running stories, hate rest days and be crazy like us. :wink:
    ^^ This!
    I just had a look back, the first month I joined this challenge I set myself a goal of 50km, of which I ran 37km. That's slowly been creeping up since then. Along with the level of running obsession - that has defenitely also been creeping up, as evidenced by the money I spend on running stuff this year ;)
  • miminava
    miminava Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this challenge group and could really use the motivarion. Goal for the month is 50 mi. Ran 2 mi on treadmill today. Great start to May. :)
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a great race, @Ohhim !
    Congratulations on your PR, @kristinegift !
  • Net1968
    Net1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have a HM this month so with tapering and recovery in mind I am setting my May goal at 75km.

1st May 12km

Good start!