May 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2016
    I got close to my April goals so I will try for it again.
    starting the month with a sore knee and a half on Saturday

May

1-0
    2-stretching

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17

May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    @Ohhim - Fantastic post race report! You are a beast! No wait...you are THE BEAST as you carried the number of it and all!:lol:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    @ohhim excellent report and interesting read on your train and goals.

@kristinegift it would seem that the cramping issue you are having isn't related to hydration and electrolytes. I'd suggest to look elsewhere, in particular capacity at effort. It seems your legs just aren't used to that kind of effort. Have you looked at how much protein you are getting and are you doing any regular progressive strength training with your legs?

Training without proper nutrition is going to lead to the type of issues you describe.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2016
    Did another test run today. No pain whatsoever in my knee. Going to increase mileage very slowly.

I found a trail. Sort off. It's not asphalt. Gotta say it feels much better on the body to run on grass and earth than on asphalt and concrete. Was pretty scary first time since there are like 0 people around there but I went for it and it was awesome. Only saw a flock of sheep (the rams looked at me funny) and some falcons that I managed to scare away.

Here's how it looks like

91rauv37u056.jpg

The terrain is really irregular and I feel it in my feet a lot. I'm sore in the arches of my feet and around the lower portion of my calves. This is new but I like this pain. This is good pain.

Not sure about mileage this month. Don't care for now. As long as I'm back to 100% I'm happy

..Date.....Distance.......Sore spot today
    May 01 - rest
    May 02 - 4.1 km..........Arches of feet

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run
    48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    08/05: VeterRUN 6.7k
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    I ran 13 miles today... and as of today I have been running for 5 years. Today's 13 brings my five year mileage to 6,700 miles. Very satisfying.

Happy 5 year Runniversary!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2016
    Great recap @instantmartian that sounds like a brutal run. Great job pushing through to the finish!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    @instantmartian - Wow! That sounds like a brutal run, but you toughed it out when many probably would have given up. I hope your next attempt is much better, and I hope you recover soon.
  • Stoshew71
    5/1: 26.2 miles (26.5 according to Garmin!)

First things first: I did not BQ, but I did PR by quite a lot! I ran a 3:49:08, which is a 13.5 minute PR from last fall! I kept getting passed by pace group after pace group after I lost the 3:30 group, and it was all I could do to stay ahead of 3:50 in the last 3 miles!

Today was just not my day. I started out solid and was at 8 miles around 64:30, which was spot on. At 8 miles, I planned to drop to a 7:40-7:55 pace. However I told my legs "Go!" and my legs said, "Uh, how about not." I was really hoping this wasn't going to be the case, but knew it might be because of where I am in my lady cycle right now. So I just went by effort and what my legs/quad cramps would let me do (the cramping started, per usual, around 20-21 miles in, despite 5 gels, a bottle of nuun, plenty of Gatorade/water AND 3 salt cap tablets! idk how to avoid it). Also it was drizzling at the start, then lightly raining the rest of the race and pretty darn windy. My shoes were so heavy that I had to stop and retie them tighter because they were almost falling off! I made a decision about 16 miles in that I was not going to BQ, or try, because I'd been passed handily by the 3:35ers by then, so I just wanted to finish the race feeling happy. So I made it a point to smile at spectators, high-five kids, and grin for the cameras. It wasn't my HARDEST marathon to date, but it was definitely really difficult mentally because my legs just weren't cooperating.

Highlights though! My teammate WON THE WOMEN'S DIVISION! Like #1 woman overall. I was so excited for her! I saw her at the out and back as she came to mile 21 and she looked so strong and happy! She's retiring from marathons (allegedly) after this; Boston was going to be her last but she DNF'd because of the heat (decided at mile 14 to walk off the course to her cousin's house because she wasn't having any fun) but she decided last minute to do this race, so at least her last marathon will be a WIN instead of a DNF. Also one of my other teammates/running buddies ran her first 26.2 today and smashed it with a 3:57!! AND another teammate kicked *kitten* with a 3:31 which qualifies her for Boston. So everyone had a super great race today except me (in terms of goal smashing; I am happy with a 3:49, don't get me wrong!)), but sometimes it's just not your day, you know?

Taking a few days off probably and then running light mileage the rest of the month while I decide what I want to do next. I'm signed up for Philly for this November, so I'll be BQ attempting again there. But what to do for the next six months?!

exercise.png

Hey @kristinegift it, may not have been your day and I know you trained really hard for this. But we are all proud of what you did and a PR is a PR. Awesome job. On the bright side, I will be trying for a BQ in December and now maybe you, me, and maybe a couple of others in this group can all BQ for the same year. I think that would make an awesome Boston experience if a bunch of us were to meet up there.

• biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member

exercise.png

Gorgeous weather today and a good first run! I wanted to do 3km but didn't feel like it was a good idea, maybe because I've just recovered from a stomach bug. Maybe next time!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    @instantmartian What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    In for 80 miles in May!
  • Stoshew71
    @Ohhim Great job with your BQ. I hope the 95 seconds hold up. Awesome costume!!!

I need the 2 race reports from @Ohhim and @instantmartian when I get a chance. I am behind in my reading.

Welcome to all the new people. Sorry if I cannot name you all individually. Just set a reasonable goal for yourselves. Everyone started low. But stick around and be consisitent. We all make this fun and encouraging. Watching the newbies slowly gain miles is pretty much as exciting as watching the long milers and BQers.
  • biscuitnow
    I am just finishing my MA thesis, and this forum is a LOVELY source of distraction and procrastination! Highly recommend! :)

I'll give it a go! ;) I actually love my subject and may end up doing a PhD, but some days, I just need to get away.

By the way, can anyone give me an idea of what a "slow"/beginner's running pace might be? I feel like I'm really slow (which is fine with me, no rush), but I still get out of breath towards the end. I run alone and don't really know how fast people usually are.
  • Stoshew71
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Thank you, @MNLittleFinn.

@WhatMeRunning: It was certainly the most brutal race I've ever run. Funny thing is that giving up never even crossed my mind. I, too, hope my next attempt is better. I was in it for the experience, and I certainly had quite the experience, though it was not even close to the type of experience I was hoping for. I'm planning on taking the better part of this week off from running, and I'll start my 10K training next week which will include more speedwork and hill training than distance stuff. For now, I see lots of core strength work and foam rolling in my immediate future.
  • Stoshew71
    pthyay wrote: »
    I am just finishing my MA thesis, and this forum is a LOVELY source of distraction and procrastination! Highly recommend! :)

I'll give it a go! ;) I actually love my subject and may end up doing a PhD, but some days, I just need to get away.

By the way, can anyone give me an idea of what a "slow"/beginner's running pace might be? I feel like I'm really slow (which is fine with me, no rush), but I still get out of breath towards the end. I run alone and don't really know how fast people usually are.

Run at a conversational pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAQ73OJdwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ccBcCTlrPU
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    @kristinegift - Thanks for the kudos. It was pretty consistently raining for the first hour. Otherwise, just occasional rain, although it seemed to clear up for the second half but the clouds stuck around providing lots of much needed shade. Good race report, and although it wasn't a perfect outcome, you did manage to pull off a pretty signifciant PR! If you want to give qualifying for this year another shot, Lehigh Valley (if still available) may be your best bet, and Erie isn't an awful weekend rental car ride away. Definitely sharing your post-race pain (calves moreso for me at the moment).

@michable - I had always had trouble figuring out race pacing. Most of my heart rate strategy as of late is from what I'd call data-driven experience (reviewing numbers info from races that worked & didn't) as most experts seem to agree that paces which produce even splits are your best bet. For me, my max HR is 190, so I'm starting the race around 85%, running miles 10-20 closer to 88%, then pushing up to my threshold levels (90-95%) at the end. Still, I'm usually pretty careful not to vary my heart rate much within a mile as the second I hit my "threshold" rate (even for a hill or surge), I get in trouble. When I ran my first marathon 2 years ago at a 4:45 pace, I was closer to 80-85% for the meat of the race and was pretty close to even splits. Still, all of that data might just be handicapping me, but having run a few miserable races where I started too fast has sent me down this analytical path.

@Elise4270 - Always happy to see everyone on this forum! For the race, I wore both the bib and tail on my fuel belt.

@skippygirlsmom - The LED blinking worked pretty well at the start, but it became dimmer as the race wore on. Still, the overcast conditions kept it visible. As a I started dunking water on my head later in the race, I turned off the lights as they were very dim and I didn't want to shock myself.

@MobyCarp - Hoping to see you there as well! Not sure the 95 seconds will be enough, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the next 4 months and hope the experts who spend way too much time looking at this are right about Boston's heat making it easier for next year. Still, if Chicago goes similarly well in October, I'll have an extra 5 minutes in the bank as a 40-44 year old runner in 2018.

@instantmartian - Sorry things didn't go as expected. Broad street in 2013 was my first "big" longer race and it got me hooked on racing past marching bands, music, cheering spectators, and started me down my long dark path. Still, with the rain, definitely much less crowd support, and much more chafing (more on that later) at east coast races this weekend.

Otherwise, big thanks for the support/congrads ( @WhatMeRunning , @MNLittleFinn , @kimlight2 , @ddmom0811 , @_nikkiwolf_ , @dennie24, @michable , @Orphia , @EvgeniZyntx ) as this forum definitely keeps me pretty motivated, accountable, and entertained!
  • biscuitnow
    @kristinegift Just read your report - I do hope you realise that baby runners like me are still IN AWE of your marathon, even if it wasn't your best one ever. Congrats!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    @AdrianChr92: You are right. I feel stronger, I didn't die, and I certainly have a story for years to come. It was an accomplishment, and a great test of my will to finish. As I noted earlier, the thought of not doing it and not finishing never even crossed my mind until @WhatMeRunning pointed out that others may have been inclined to give up.

@Ohhim: I've had lots of people tell me similar things about Broad Street, which is why I wanted to do it in the first place, and which is why I decided I need to give it another shot, even though I planned for it to be a once-and-done race for me. I want to experience the cheering spectators and the bands (there were a couple). I want to run past funny signs on Broad Street and not ones that the people holding think are funny but are annoying to the runners. I do have to say, though, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the Philly cops. Several of them were cheering on runners, blooping their sirens in support, and even high-fiving people. This was the first time I've experienced more than a couple police officers doing this during any race, and were actions I would have expected more from small-town cops as opposed to city police. Their enthusiasm coupled with positive energy exuded by the students and people at Temple made me believe a nice-weather Broad Street run is something quite special, and something I most definitely need to experience. By the way, congrats on the BQ. I hope it holds for you! I admire the dedication of marathoners. I'm not sure I'd ever be up for running one, let alone striving for a BQ. It sounds like you had a great run!