May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Throwing this out there for the group...got a 25% off a pair of shoes coupon from roadrunner sports......what to get, what to get.....????
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    How do you guys have toe nail problems? I hear this a lot but I never had problems with it so far.

Mine only get unhappy after I run a HM. Weird toes.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have never lost a nail. I credit that to minimalist shoes with wide toe-boxes.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim I absolutely love your costume--and what an amazing race!
    @kristinegift I'm sorry you weren't happy with your race...but I'm still really impressed!
    @lporter229 That is terrible for your friend, but I'm glad you were able to have a great day in spite of the set-backs.

@instantmartian What an unbelievably horrible race day! Ugh! I'm amazed and really proud of you for sticking with it and finishing! You definitely need to go back for a do-over. The hand situation sounds awful. Do you think it was from being overwarm in a cold environment? Or did you have a sodium imbalance? Whatever it was, it sounds unpleasant! On a nicer note, it was so sweet that your Man-friend (lol) ran with you with the umbrella. Practical romance for the win! Oh...I took my daughter up to visit Temple just a couple weeks ago. The campus really does have a cheerful and friendly vibe. She only has three schools on her list of college choices, so I guess there's a fair chance that by the next time you run the Broad Street, she'll be there to cheer you on!

@9voice9 Everyone else has chimed in about toenails, but I have to tell you that I get those weird proto-nails under the ones that fall off, too. It is really weird. I've lost the second and third toenails on my right foot...I think that foot is slightly bigger than the other and those toes get more pressure in my socks, of all things. I need to stick to men's socks, because women's just are too small (I wear a size 10 street shoe and an 11 running shoe).

I didn't run yesterday, since we were busy with other things, but I was determined to get out today in spite of the drizzle (which you all know I hate). But I bought a new hat, and that seems to do the job of keeping the rain off my glasses, which is what makes me so angry when it's wet. It was a nice run in the opposite direction from the "all uphill" lake trail I tried last week. I can now say that the other way isn't all uphill...but this was perceptibly easier, for sure.

I also went to my doctor's today and got the run-down on the anemia problems. I'll have to do some multiple-times-a day supplementing, but we caught it before I'd need to do infusions, so that's good. I'm hoping in a month or so I'm going to be feeling so much better and getting better oxygenation when I run, too.

5/1...Rest
    5/2...4.25 @ 12:22 on the hilly lake trail

Completed races:
    1/18 MLK 8K, Burke, VA 56:14
    2/22 Princess Half, Orlando FL, 2:49:33
    4/23 Healthy Strides Community 10K, Burke, VA 1:14:29
    4/30 Run for the Children 8K, Fairfax, VA 56:35

Upcoming races:
    5/21 RunFitKidz 5K, Springfield, VA (maybe--if recovered enough from surgery)
    6/12 Celebrate Fairfax 5K, Fairfax, VA
    7/4 Freedom 5K, Fairfax VA
    9/5 Great American 5K, Fairfax, VA
    Either Hemlock Half or Divas Half in September
    10/30 MCM 10K, Washington, DC
    11/6 The Parks 10K, Washington, DC
    11/19 Potomac River Half, Carderock, MD

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Everyone else has chimed in about toenails, but I have to tell you that I get those weird proto-nails under the ones that fall off, too. It is really weird. I've lost the second and third toenails on my right foot...I think that foot is slightly bigger than the other and those toes get more pressure in my socks, of all things. I need to stick to men's socks, because women's just are too small (I wear a size 10 street shoe and an 11 running shoe).

I also went to my doctor's today and got the run-down on the anemia problems. I'll have to do some multiple-times-a day supplementing, but we caught it before I'd need to do infusions, so that's good. I'm hoping in a month or so I'm going to be feeling so much better and getting better oxygenation when I run, too.

Wow, that sounds major. I've been lucky. Even when I was donating blood every 8 weeks I never had problem with my iron level. Glad it was caught before infusions. Have you tried cooking with cast iron any?

On the toenail issue. I had one that lifted loose and just grew out. It was the second toe, mine are different on each foot. One is shorter, other foot is longer (not by much on either foot). I changed to shoes with a larger toe box and haven't had an issue since.

My husband has a black 2nd nail after the half the 24th. I think this is his first.

• Eileen_05
    Eileen_05 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    5/2 = 2.5 miles
    5/1 = 3.5 miles
    6 of 75
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Wow, that sounds major. I've been lucky. Even when I was donating blood every 8 weeks I never had problem with my iron level. Glad it was caught before infusions. Have you tried cooking with cast iron any?

I love cast iron, but can't use it (too heavy) on my glass cook-top. Someday, if I ever get my dream house, I'll have a gas stove and go back to using it!

Good for you for donating that much! My 20-yo daughter tries to donate at least every 4 months, although she can have issues with anemia, too. But she has "unicorn blood" (O-), so they send her all sorts of mail begging her to come in and give, far more often than is actually possible.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    5/01: 6 miles, easy
    5/02: 6 miles, easy
    Total: 12 miles

An easy 6 miles this evening. My right hamstring is still feeling pretty tight/sore but at least the knee is doing alright. I just can’t believe that it is May 2nd and still only 48 degrees out; I just want to wear tank tops already!

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • skyhoppertk
    skyhoppertk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hmm this month My goal is 45km, average 2km per weekday.
    Lost count in April because of unknown distance jogging around the house. Now I know that distance 35m a lap and can calculate more accurately. Yay!
  • dheliason
    dheliason Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am setting my goal for May at 50 miles. I started this year out with 3 consecutive 100 mile months but sadly didn't reach my April goal of 75 miles. I think I hurt something doing my 1st HM and I am slowly recovering. I hope to get my first May miles soon!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - You just needed Red Compression Socks to truly complete the outfit. Congrats on the BQ Qualifying time.
  • CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Missed last 3 runs in April
    So I'm back with the same goal of 45 miles.
    Also want to be able to run 4 miles straight at the end of May!

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni Here it is 2nd May and you are only @ 48 degrees. Fahrenheit I am guessing.
    We were at 28C today = 83F. So for us that is brutally hot. Anything over 70F and I turn into a useless puddle. Give me 50 - 60F and I am happy.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May Goal: Run just a scootch more than last month...

5/1 deep mucking of the chicken coop and environs
    5/2 4.0

Total 4

Upcoming races:
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Everyone else has chimed in about toenails, but I have to tell you that I get those weird proto-nails under the ones that fall off, too. It is really weird. I've lost the second and third toenails on my right foot...I think that foot is slightly bigger than the other and those toes get more pressure in my socks, of all things. I need to stick to men's socks, because women's just are too small (I wear a size 10 street shoe and an 11 running shoe).

On the toenail issue. I had one that lifted loose and just grew out. It was the second toe, mine are different on each foot. One is shorter, other foot is longer (not by much on either foot). I changed to shoes with a larger toe box and haven't had an issue since.

My husband has a black 2nd nail after the half the 24th. I think this is his first.

I don't have unicorn blood but I have B- so they call me all the time too, or they used to. My BP is too low and they don't like that when you go to donate, guess they wouldn't be pleased if I passed out :)

I also resolved the toenail issue by going to shoes with a wider toe box. No issues since then.

• username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I gave up on April. So May goal is 100k @ 16 runs

1. 2/5 6k.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    A very windy 8.1 km this morning.

1 May – 16.1 km Distance PB
    3 May – 8.1 km

Total: 24.2 km