May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Thank you so much - those are very interesting. I'm definitely running at more than 60% of my max heart rate. I have a fitbit charge hr, which is usually quite accurate for me, and I had my suspicions regarding my heart rate graphs. I guess I need to find ways to slow down if I want to increase my distance.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Random running thought on this Monday Rest day. I just started reading Greg McMillan's YOU (Only Faster) and I think I'm hooked on it. I really like the book and how he sets things out.
  • UltimateLover
    UltimateLover Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    So I am just seeing this thread now...I would like to join up....
    I'm a newbie so I'm going to aim for 25k - this will allow me to get up and out to start running again (going to try and complete the C25K program so I will be slower with reaching my kms this month)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    So I am just seeing this thread now...I would like to join up....
    I'm a newbie so I'm going to aim for 25k - this will allow me to get up and out to start running again (going to try and complete the C25K program so I will be slower with reaching my kms this month)

welcome, and good goal!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Catching up on first few days in May. Going to try to do better this month on keeping up with everyone.

Here is my mini report on the Drake Relays / Hy-Vee Road Races Half Marathon from Saturday:
    It was 46° F and rainy, with 20+ mph wind gusts. The pre/post race were miserable. The running itself wasn't too bad, except when heading straight east. Started off pretty comfortable, but my hips got really sore about mile 8. My pace got slower by a little each mile after that. Finished in 1:54:52, which was well of my PR time, but a about a minute faster than the same race last year. I wasn't training / pushing for a PR anyway. Post race food was crappy and the 1.4 mile walk home (easier than parking) was brutal.

Next weekend back to the other extreme. Doing a 75 mile relay run with six friends - forecast calls for 82°. Good thing we got the first, 5:45 a.m., starting time!

5/1 - Rest day after HM to finish April. Another ugly, rainy day.
    5/2 - 4.25 miles.

exercise.png

@PoppetsMaster - Awesome! That is some serious mileage and dedication!
    @Orphia - Congrats on the PB distance!
    @Ohhim - Fantastic costume! Way to rock the number! And, of course, congrats on the BQ! You're a beast :wink:
    @kristinegift - Congrats on the PR! Way to "embrace the suck" and enjoy it all with your teammates! "Rigor marathonis"...totally stealing that!
    @instantmartian - Negative splits! Woo hoo! That all sounds pretty rough, but isn't it the coolest feeling to know that you could accomplish that even on a not so great day?
  • corinaje1460
    corinaje1460 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I need a little motivation so I am going to do this challenge with yall!! setting my goal small this month! :)

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Welcome aboard @corinaje1460
    Good goal! You'll have a lot of motivation and support from folks in this group.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ohhim good idea shutting off the horns, just cracks me up that you managed to keep them on for a full marathon along with the tail! Can't wait to hear how the ironman goes! Your race report just made me smile.
    @9voice9 I've never officially lost a toenail though I have had one for almost a year that isn't fully attached to the nail bed. The only thing that bothers it is my sheets at night, go figure. It gets black and blue and purple on and off, it is not my big toe. My big toe, on a same foot, hurt after my HM last month and I notice that it's turning black and blue, doesn't hurt at all. Skip lost a toe nail recently but it wasn't her big toe either. First she has lost, she just painted it with nail polish like the rest of her toes ha ha
    @kristinegift ouch ouch, totally doesn't sound like you even after a full. I hope you are feeling good soon.
    @adrianchr92 looks like a nice place to run, glad your knee is feeling better
    @instantmartian I read your race report going ugh ugh the whole time, then I had a big smile about your boyfriend running with you with the umbrella :heart: Way to get it done, sounds like the most miserable race ever in every way possible. How are your hands now still swollen? 40K people I can't imagine.
    @karllundy great HM inspite of the weather.

• zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well, I survived my first month of this challenge! :wink: Congratulations to all of you who raced this weekend! We had the Pittsburgh Marathon this weekend, and I've got to say, I think that's something I want to do (someday)!

I'm setting my May goal at 40 miles, which is an increase over April. I'm going to focus on keeping a steady HR, so I don't burn myself out, and I won't have to take as many walk "breaks".
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Random running thought on this Monday Rest day. I just started reading Greg McMillan's YOU (Only Faster) and I think I'm hooked on it. I really like the book and how he sets things out.

That book is on my wishlist.

@adrianchr92 That looks like an awesome grass trail.

@instantmartian Sorry about the miserable experience with the cold rain and all. Way to get it done.

@Ohhim I just read your race report. Awesome recap. Awesome strategy and negative splitting it. Congratulations!!

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @ohhim excellent report and interesting read on your train and goals.

@kristinegift it would seem that the cramping issue you are having isn't related to hydration and electrolytes. I'd suggest to look elsewhere, in particular capacity at effort. It seems your legs just aren't used to that kind of effort. Have you looked at how much protein you are getting and are you doing any regular progressive strength training with your legs?

Training without proper nutrition is going to lead to the type of issues you describe.

@EvgeniZyntx I could always stand to eat more protein, but I do a fair amount of body weight strength training. I've never had cramping issues for runs of 20-22 miles, and I've had the cramping during a marathon no matter the pace (usually in the 9 minute range, and far slower than my long run pace these days). I'll have to continue tweaking things to figure out how to avoid them entirely. But I can run through quad cramps more easily than calf cramps; as long as I keep moving, it's just tight muscles and doesn't affect my gait all that much.

Stoshew71 wrote: »
    5/1: 26.2 miles (26.5 according to Garmin!)

First things first: I did not BQ, but I did PR by quite a lot! I ran a 3:49:08, which is a 13.5 minute PR from last fall! I kept getting passed by pace group after pace group after I lost the 3:30 group, and it was all I could do to stay ahead of 3:50 in the last 3 miles!

Today was just not my day. I started out solid and was at 8 miles around 64:30, which was spot on. At 8 miles, I planned to drop to a 7:40-7:55 pace. However I told my legs "Go!" and my legs said, "Uh, how about not." I was really hoping this wasn't going to be the case, but knew it might be because of where I am in my lady cycle right now. So I just went by effort and what my legs/quad cramps would let me do (the cramping started, per usual, around 20-21 miles in, despite 5 gels, a bottle of nuun, plenty of Gatorade/water AND 3 salt cap tablets! idk how to avoid it). Also it was drizzling at the start, then lightly raining the rest of the race and pretty darn windy. My shoes were so heavy that I had to stop and retie them tighter because they were almost falling off! I made a decision about 16 miles in that I was not going to BQ, or try, because I'd been passed handily by the 3:35ers by then, so I just wanted to finish the race feeling happy. So I made it a point to smile at spectators, high-five kids, and grin for the cameras. It wasn't my HARDEST marathon to date, but it was definitely really difficult mentally because my legs just weren't cooperating.

Highlights though! My teammate WON THE WOMEN'S DIVISION! Like #1 woman overall. I was so excited for her! I saw her at the out and back as she came to mile 21 and she looked so strong and happy! She's retiring from marathons (allegedly) after this; Boston was going to be her last but she DNF'd because of the heat (decided at mile 14 to walk off the course to her cousin's house because she wasn't having any fun) but she decided last minute to do this race, so at least her last marathon will be a WIN instead of a DNF. Also one of my other teammates/running buddies ran her first 26.2 today and smashed it with a 3:57!! AND another teammate kicked *kitten* with a 3:31 which qualifies her for Boston. So everyone had a super great race today except me (in terms of goal smashing; I am happy with a 3:49, don't get me wrong!)), but sometimes it's just not your day, you know?

Taking a few days off probably and then running light mileage the rest of the month while I decide what I want to do next. I'm signed up for Philly for this November, so I'll be BQ attempting again there. But what to do for the next six months?!

exercise.png

Hey @kristinegift it, may not have been your day and I know you trained really hard for this. But we are all proud of what you did and a PR is a PR. Awesome job. On the bright side, I will be trying for a BQ in December and now maybe you, me, and maybe a couple of others in this group can all BQ for the same year. I think that would make an awesome Boston experience if a bunch of us were to meet up there.

@Stoshew71 I hope so! I know so many people doing 2017, so I wanna be there too. But if 2018 is my year, then 2018 it is! We can make amazing MFP singlets :)

Ohhim wrote: »
    @kristinegift - Thanks for the kudos. It was pretty consistently raining for the first hour. Otherwise, just occasional rain, although it seemed to clear up for the second half but the clouds stuck around providing lots of much needed shade. Good race report, and although it wasn't a perfect outcome, you did manage to pull off a pretty signifciant PR! If you want to give qualifying for this year another shot, Lehigh Valley (if still available) may be your best bet, and Erie isn't an awful weekend rental car ride away. Definitely sharing your post-race pain (calves moreso for me at the moment).

@Ohhim I have been scouting out the Leigh Valley marathon, and that may be my fall 2016 backup as long as it falls before the BQ window closes this year. I'm also considering running the Vermont City marathon in 4 weeks if I can swing it... I have a week or two to run numbers and decide. If my legs feel decent again in a few days, I will strongly consider it. Besides the typical quad pain and my heel issue (which feels better now that I've moved around quite a bit), I feel pretty darn ok. I've had really blah races on my two flattest courses, so I think some rolling hills may be more my style, and VCM has a couple decent hills that will be a good break-up of the course mentally and physically. IDK. I think I'm just marathon crazy ;)

And thanks to the continued "congrats" coming in this morning! I'm too lazy to make a list of all the names, but you're all bringing a smile to my face. :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian Yay for negative splits! I heard that the race conditions yesterday were pretty darn awful. Torrential downpour and 45 degrees? BRR! Sorry that you had all kinds of body weirdness! But you made a good run of it. I hope you get in again next year and can have a much happier experience!
  • krandor1
    krandor1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Goal is 148.

5 miles yesturday already done so I'm at 5/148
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 75 Miles for May

5/2 – 5.73 Mi

Progress toward Goal 5.73 / 75
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian - wow, that sounds brutal. But you did it! I don't understand why your hands got swollen. That is strange. You one one tough cookie. I may have started crying and gotten a DNF. I can't stand to be that cold! Although when I think about it when I run when it is really cold the hands just ache - maybe that's why they swelled?

@9voice9 - I just lost my second toenail. For me, it hurts really bad for 1-2 days and turns black and blue. Then many weeks later it falls off. Well "falls off" isn't exactly accurate. I have to sort of pull it off. On Saturday though I hit it and it knocked it off. In both toenail losses when the nail falls off there is some weird thing underneath it. Sort of like a nail/sort of a hard skin. IDK. It can be painted though and stays on pretty well. Not that you are going to do that. ;)

@karllundy - that sounds miserable too. And who would think it should be this cold in May. Next weekend sounds fun!

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    So much to catch up on after the weekend. First off, congrats to both @kristinegift & @Ohhim on your marathons. Fantastic performances all around.

@9voice9 - (Hopefully am tagging the right person) I have yet to actually lose a toenail, but I ALMOST lost one from my second half marathon last fall. It was my second toe of my left foot. I apparently needed to trim my toenails (I didn't think they were all that long, tbh) and the course was very hilly. Important point: I'm one of those people whose second toe is actually shorter than the big toe, so damaging the nail on that toe was pretty unexpected. Anyway, I got a nasty blood blister and the nail ended up separated pretty much to the base, but it never fell off. It's finally almost back to normal after almost 6 months...
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    6 slow and easy recovery miles this morning. I was pretty stiff and sore and had to do some quick switching from running to walking for a little over a quarter mile before things loosened up. Things felt good after that and I really needed that run, but I am starting to feel the results of the last 4 weekends racing half marathons. With no race this weekend I will run slow and easy this week and next and focus on base building. My next race is on 5/14 which is the race I have been targeting as my PR attempt, so this period of easy running will also serve as a sort of taper, with these prior 4 weekends of races serving as a sort of race specific training period. :smile: After that race is a down week to recover, and then onward to base building into new mileage territory for me in the weeks following that recovery with the goal being full marathon ready, whether I run one or not. I want to be full marathon ready as I head into the series of 6 half marathons on 3 weekends this fall. While 2 halfs on consecutive days is not the same as a full on one day, it is still worthy of being prepared for a full. :smile:

5/1 - 13.1 miles
    5/2 - 6 miles

19.1/200 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 new PR
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

@EvgeniZyntx I could always stand to eat more protein, but I do a fair amount of body weight strength training. I've never had cramping issues for runs of 20-22 miles, and I've had the cramping during a marathon no matter the pace (usually in the 9 minute range, and far slower than my long run pace these days). I'll have to continue tweaking things to figure out how to avoid them entirely. But I can run through quad cramps more easily than calf cramps; as long as I keep moving, it's just tight muscles and doesn't affect my gait all that much.

@kristinegift I have no clue what I'm talking about, but maybe it's something in your taper? No idea what that could be, but I was thinking exactly what you said, you never seem to have an issue with cramping during your training long runs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wow! I have lots of catching up to do since I rarely log in on the weekends! Nice job to all of those that ran PRs and such this weekend. And welcome to all of the newbies. One word of advice, don't get hung up in trying to compete with the mileage of others. Do what's best for you and resist the urge to overdo it. Injuries are the surest way to not meet your goal. Not to mention, they are no fun!

@Ohhim -Congrats on the Pittsburgh PR! Awesome costume and even more awesome race. I really enjoyed reading your re-cap. It sounds like your race was similar to my race in Columbus (except that I was exactly 30 minutes and one second slower, of course). I definitely believe that going out a little bit slower than you hope to be and bringing it home in the end is the key to a successful marathon. I started with the 3:45 pacer and finished in 3:38:36, with my last 6 miles being sub 8. And I finished feeling pretty good. I have a friend (she's 20) who finished Pittsburgh in 3:32:24, so a BQ for her as well. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you both get in!

@kristinegift- I know it wasn't the result you were hoping for but impressive PR none the less. I am glad to see you are not letting the disappointment get in the way of feeling good about what you achieved. You should be very proud! It was fun to follow your training and see how dedicated you were and how hard you worked. I don't think anyone here has any doubt that you will be at Boston in 2017 or 2018. And I think you may be on to something with the rolling hills, especially if you are prone to cramping. Some people find flat courses harder because you are using the same exact muscles for all 26.2 miles. With a rolling course, you muscle usage changes and your muscles get a break. Would still love to meet you in Boston for 2017, but I will be pulling for you no matter what you decide to do!

Now for a little recap of my weekend. Boy it was interesting and very eye opening. So, you may remember that I decided about a month ago to run the Flying Pig marathon with my friend. It was her 3rd time running the race and she was hoping for a PR in the 4:10-4:20 range. She, I and another friend of hers (and after yesterday, a new friend of mine, but more on that later) were running this thing together, start to finish, regardless of the situation. The forecast all week long had been for nothing but rain, ranging from just flat out wet to heavy thunderstorms. Even as I went to bed early Saturday night, the morning's weather was still very uncertain.

I woke up at 4AM Sunday morning and headed downtown at 4:45 to meet my friend. When I left my house (about 20 miles north of Cincinnati), there was a pretty steady rain, but not too heavy. I met my friend at her hotel, and we walked in a light rain down to the start line for the 6:30 start. It rained on and off prior to the start, but never hard enough that we were soaked or uncomfortable. So far so good. By the time the race started, it looked like the skies were clearing and it was going to be a pretty nice day, especially if the temperatures held true to forecast and never went above 70F. The beginning of the race crosses the Ohio River into Kentucky and back over into Ohio by mile 4. The views of the sun breaking the low hanging clouds over the river were spectacular. It was a great morning for racing! Miles 6 through 8.5 are a steady climb up into the Eden Park area of Cincinnati. This hill is the longest and steepest part of the race and usually the most dreaded. It's right before the HM split, so it's also still pretty crowded. But when you reach the top, you are rewarded with spectacular views overlooking the river. Again, the view of the sun breaking through the clouds on the water was amazing. At this point, we were still pretty good on pace at just under a 10 minute mile, with lots of downhill and flat ground ahead of us.

It was right after the half marathon split around mile 9 when things started to go south. The sun was starting to come out in full force and reflecting off of the wet streets, releasing a nice muggy, wall of steam, and blinding you in the process. It was right then that my friend announced that she was not feeling so well. We stopped to use the bathroom and vowed to make up some time on the upcoming descent. We were still going a little slower than we wanted when she darted off the course, and ran behind a parked car to get sick. Even though we were less than a half mile past the split and it wasn't too late to turn back, she wanted to carry on. We stopped and walked for a while and soon were passed by the 4:30 pace group between miles 10 and 11. At this point we knew that we were not likely to get the PR she wanted and the goal just became to have fun and finish. I felt really bad for her the entire time because I knew she was struggling and I knew that even finishing was going to be tough for her. She got sick one more time around mile 18 but continued on anyway. By mile 20 we were walking as much as running and noticing a lot of people around us falling victim to the unpredicted heat and humidity. It was pretty brutal out there. We came upon a support station from a local running club that had popsicles and Coke. What a savior those turned out to be! Refueled with some sugar and carbonation, we were able to make it mostly running down the final stretch and finish in just under 5:20. It was the longest marathon any of us had run (although her friend had done a 50 mile ultra), and we all decided that it was probably the hardest marathon we all had run.

But, despite my friend not making her goal, and the long and brutal day of running (at one point, a digital sign said it was 86F), I think we all had an amazing time. My friend was a rockstar for finishing despite feeling so poorly, and the two of us running with her both felt like we learned a lot from the experience. First of all, running in the 5+ hour range is inspiring! You see so many people out there pushing through pain and just giving it everything they have. Many people that run at the front of the pack call it a day if they are not going to make their goal. Not these folks. It's do or die. Finish line not finish time. It's a nice perspective. Secondly, this group of people have fun! The most amazing part of the Flying Pig is the crowd support. There are very few stretches of this course that are not packed with spectators. At mile 9, people were handing out mimosas (which I regret not getting!), mile 14 was a beer mile, followed by, what else for the Pig, the bacon mile! Of course, we had to stop for this. A little cup filled with a ball of the best tasting bacon ever! And strategically placed on a part of the course that wrapped back around so you could get seconds! We shot baskets at mile 22 in honor of a local young hero who recently lost her fight to cancer. At mile 23, Jess did a shot of tequila. Yes, the weather was hot and our legs were hurting, but we were having fun and we were building a bond that only runners can understand. And as we were running, I was very thankful that I was here with these ladies, running this seemingly endless race, aiming to cross the finish line together rather than running my own race, completely focused on a goal time and missing out on all of the fun.

Now I am not saying that I regret training hard for a marathon goal and running solo to achieve it. The sense of personal achievement is a big part of why I run. But every once in a while it's nice to take a step back and get another perspective. For those of you that train hard, day in and day out with a very focused goal in mind, I would love to invite you to take a step back and run a race for the fun of it. Use it as a training run, take it slow, have fun, enjoy the people both on and off the course. It definitely gave me a renewed appreciation for all of the many reasons why paying money to put yourself through pain and agony is so worth every penny!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 - wow, what a race. Sounds like torture but you had so much fun and did it! WTG! :smiley: