May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @lporter229 - You are so right about the fun of just enjoying an event as a fun run. It is a whole different experience. I am glad what could have been a miserable day turned into such a positive one!

@9voice9 - I've lost nails on other toes. I know my pinky toe on my left foot came off once, and I lost a nail off the second toe on my right foot.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @karllundy: I paid absolutely no attention to my finish time. I stopped my Garmin without even looking at it, and went on my (not so merry) little way. It wasn't until last night when my boyfriend showed me the tracking texts he got from the race when I realized I had negative splits. It was so damn proud of myself, and it did take away some of my miserableness from the race (the French toast helped cheer me up, too).

@skippygirlsmom: It was absolutely miserable. The only person I know who ran it was my cousin's wife, though I don't talk to either of them much and she rarely ever posts anything on Facebook, so I'm not sure what her experience was like. A friend ventured over to see a part of the race, and put a short video up on Facebook with comments about how you could hear the runners shoes squishing, how soaked everyone was, and how much admiration she had for those out there. I commented about how awful it was, and several others who ran seemed to have the same feelings towards the race as I did with comments like "For the record, It was terrible." and "It was NOT fun in the rain." As for my hands, the swelling must have gone completely away overnight. I literally could not see my knuckles - there were no wrinkles on the backs of any of my joints at all. In hindsight, I wish I would have taken a photo. My hands always swell when I run, but I had never seen anything like that before.

I do have to say my boyfriend is a keeper. (I feel kind of silly referring to him as boyfriend, sometimes, considering we've been together over five years, and we're in our 30s.) I waved at him, and when I got close, he asked me how I felt, then the next thing I know he was along side of me. I give him major props for dealing with my running thing this year - in February he was on at bus at 3am to follow me throughout Epcot and Magic Kingdom as I ran the Princess Half, and, yesterday, he endured a morning of cold and rain to be there for me as I ran Broad Street. I never asked him to do either of those things.

@kristinegift: Thank you. I'm hoping next time is a much more pleasant experience as well!

@ddmom0811: I do wish I knew why my hands swelled so I can try to prevent it in the future. My worst race up until yesterday was a 5K in September 2014. I cried during that race. It was so hot and humid and I had myself so worked up, I felt like I was running with a pillow over my face, and I walked over half of it. Surprising, there was no crying yesterday. I never even felt like I wanted to. I was on a slow-speed autopilot or something, I guess.

@lporter229: What an awesome race recap. It is so wonderful to hear that you were able to make the best out of a crappy situation and even be enlightened by it! In risking speaking for everyone else, I believe we all hit a point where we need to take a step back and actually enjoy what we're doing - in running or in life. Thanks for such a positive story. I need these right now!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 That sucks that your friend had a bad day. I would be totally out if I was throwing up during a marathon! But it sounds like a party of a course!! A bacon mile would be amazing... I'm sure all that sodium peps you right up! I am definitely adding Flying Pig to the bucket list. Hopefully it wont be on a day quite so agonizing as yours. I think I'd rather take a steady rain than deal with that kind of heat + humidity!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift I have periods where I have unruly cramps. But I'm sure mine is nerve irritation. If you happen to have some tight rear muscles (piriformis) it could cause calf cramping. I do fluids, massage and hot baths seem to be the most productive. Stretching may help you. I'd just irritate the nerve. If I'm desperate, I'll do a muscle relaxer at bed time.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm behind after a busy weekend. Congrats to all the racers and welcome to our newbies!

I started off May 1 with just a 2.66 mile walk and only that because it was such a pretty day. It was my son's 16th birthday and we were busy with that.

I wasn't planning to run today but now I'm not sure. It's nice and cool out.

Totally blew off my last couple strength training sessions so I need to get back on schedule this week. I find it harder to confine myself to lifting weights inside when it's light out for more of the day. Maybe I should lower my standards for a few weeks and just enjoy the weather. It'll be blazing hot soon enough and I'll be ready to workout in the air conditioning.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    So my goal for April was 45 running KM . . . and sadly, I did not make that goal. However now that spring weather has decided to visit South Western Ontario I believe I should kick it up a notch and aim for 50 running KMs

Here's hoping :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 wow what a race, you guys are rockstars, your poor friend. That unexpected humidity is horrible. Great job making the best of a bad situation and enjoying the atmosphere.

@instantmartian hang on to him good ones are hard to find. I had to laugh at the boyfriend comment, Allen and I have been together for almost 8 years and I'm in my 50s so it always sounds funny to me too. When his mom introduces me to people she says "this is Allen's friend" his dad says "this is my daughter in law" LOL!!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    3.25 miles today. Today I did c25k week 5 day 1 and I just felt great. I felt like I could run a lot longer than I did. As it turns out, I added on one extra 5-minute run interval to the end of the workout.

5/1/2016 - 5
    5/2/2016 - 3.25
    Total - 8.25/75
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    How do you guys have toe nail problems? I hear this a lot but I never had problems with it so far.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @9voice9 - I just lost my second toenail. For me, it hurts really bad for 1-2 days and turns black and blue. Then many weeks later it falls off. Well "falls off" isn't exactly accurate. I have to sort of pull it off. On Saturday though I hit it and it knocked it off. In both toenail losses when the nail falls off there is some weird thing underneath it. Sort of like a nail/sort of a hard skin. IDK. It can be painted though and stays on pretty well. Not that you are going to do that. ;)
    <gasp> You don't know me! I just might. Especially since you said that!</gasp>
    :wink:

I'm just glad neither time has it hurt. I actually didn't really pay any attention - noticed they looked bruised (under the nail, of course), and then next time I was trimming the talons, it was hinged, and removable. But, yeah, that proto-nail is kinda weird.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How do you guys have toe nail problems? I hear this a lot but I never had problems with it so far.
    Can happen in a few ways. One is wear and tear on the nail from friction. Most commonly though is a "subungual hematoma" or "bruise" from lots of running aka "black toe". I had both of my big toes turn black last year when I ran my first 3 full marathons. One toe from the first marathon, the other toe on the second, and each one got a bit darker with each marathon run. Believe it or not, those nails never fell off! There is still a little bit of black left on each toenail towards the outer edge, but it seems they will just grow out instead of falling off.

Honestly, for me personally, the most annoying thing is the tips of my second toes. They are calloused to the n'th degree on the front tips, hard as a toenail. Once in a while...that tip comes off.:grimace:
  • Tinymeaf
    Tinymeaf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First time in a running challenge, but in the process of prepping for a 10 km race in June. 150-200 km is my goal. Could be challenging because the golf course just opened.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I heard it a lot, and never had a problem with it. Ran the Buffalo Marthon, no toenail issues. Then I got serious about training for Boston. Lost the middle toenail on my right foot after a brutal 22 mile training run on an indoor track, on a day when group runs outside were canceled for weather and I didn't think I could do more than 13 or 14 miles outside. Lost the big toenail on my right foot presumably from friction; it never hurt, and I didn't notice what run caused it, but it detached from the nail bed and ultimately came loose.

I have lost 1 nail (middle toenail on my left foot) from damage at Boston, and will also lose the big toenail on my left foot. I may or may not lose one more nail on my left foot from Boston damage. But I didn't much worry about losing toenails from Boston. The old adage is, don't do anything on race day that you didn't train; and I suppose I trained for losing toenails. :D

I possibly had something wrong in how my socks fit or how I ran the days that caused toenail loss, but I can't pinpoint what. Same shoes, same socks, same routine as got me through 8 half marathons plus the Buffalo Marathon with no hint of lost or blackened nails.
  • cbrunenkant
    cbrunenkant Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My goal for April was 20, and I passed it! 25 for May!

exercise.png
  • krandor1
    krandor1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    3 mile recovey run today. Up to 8/148.

Saturday I'm running Spartan Beast in Ohio which will be 10-13 miles and 30ish obstacles.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    So many awesome race recaps!! Way to go everyone!!

5/2 - 5k tempo @ 6:52/mi pace. Time 21:18 Felt "comfortably hard". Marathon is in 5 days. Feel super good. Forecast is 32f with chance of snow showers and thunder possible. Get to bust out the beanie and gloves! But fingers crossed for no wind!

5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 3.1mi @ 6:52/mi

May total: 3.1 / 185mi
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    And reboot…been gone/been lazy. That’s over. There’s a 45 day step challenge at work and I’m going to focus on this to make sure I get my steps in for that.

The good news: My pace was not far off from where it was when I last ran..probably a month ago.

The bad news: My stamina (of course) sucks and I only have myself to blame. I’ll have to figure out where to hop in on my training plan but I don’t think I’m going to be ready for that half in August…I will probably settle for doing a few 5Ks and trying to PR and just work on getting my body into 13.1 condition for something either late in the year or next year. I’m sure I could DO the half in August..but I have a time in mind and I don’t think I could get there now.

I’ll set a goal of 60 miles for the month and adjust if necessary.

05/01 2.68 miles.

exercise.png

img
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ok, so I think I'm all caught up on the thread. I'm sure I do more reading on here than I do when studying for my masters degree.

@whatmerunning Well done on another great half! I wish I could recover as quickly after a half as you seem to.
    @ohhim Congratulations on the BQ! And a brilliant race report, I really enjoyed reading it. Being from the UK, I hadn't realised the BQ wasn't guaranteed, so fingers crossed your time gets you in.
    @kristinegift Congratulations on the PR, with that time on a rubbish day no doubt you'll smash a BQ soon :)
    @instantmartian Well done on running such a tough race, it sounds horrible!
    @lporter229 That race sounds tough, and your poor friend being ill during the race! But glad you enjoyed it nonetheless.

So, my run today was vile, but I have a bit of a cold so that's to be expected. I felt amazing afterwards though, it cleared my throat and my sinuses an absolute treat. Plus, NO MORE EXCUSES THIS MONTH. When I went to watch the London marathon last weekend, I watched so many para-athletes run with arms missing, prosthetic limbs or completely blind with a guide. If they can do that, I can get off my backside and run a short training run with a snotty nose!

2nd May - 3.06 miles

MTD - 3.06/70 miles

Upcoming races:
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    DATE...............MILES.............TOTAL
    5/1....................REST................00.00
    5/2....................REST................00.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    6/4: Kettle 100 Night Fun Run -- 38 miles (Whitewater, WI)
    7/16: ColorRun --5k (with my 15 year old)(Pittsburgh, PA)
    7/17: Presque Isle Half-Marathon (Erie, PA) -- This is maybe.. road races have too many people...
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)

It was not my intent or desire to start off May so many miles the first two days...
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    since this is my first challenge can anyone recommend where to start? I can only comfortably run 3-5 miles at a time. I was thinking 60 or 70?

Hey! You are here! This made my day!