why callories control, not fat?

Options

Replies

• rahmat_hidayat
    rahmat_hidayat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks and i need time to think and understand that. Because It is different from information i got so far and my friend's dietary practices.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    The fat you eat is not the fat stored in your body, unless you eat more calories of it than your body is burning.

There are 4 main macronutrients that are used by the body for energy, and how much energy is in each food is determined by calories:
    Fat has 9 calories
    Protein and carbohydrates have roughly 4 calories
    Alcohol has about 7 calories

Your body needs a certain amount of calories to sustain living and activities, and if it doesn't get that amount through food it will tap into stored fat reserves. Even if you ate nothing but butter all day, but did not give your body the calories it needs, it would still tap into your body fat reserves for more energy and you will lose body fat, and even if you ate no fatty foods at all but was providing your body with more energy than it needs it will use the excess to store this energy as body fat. You shouldn't confuse body fat with dietary fat.

To lose body fat, you need to force your body to burn body fat by not giving it all the energy it needs. You do that by reducing your food intake by a certain amount of calories. This guarantees weight loss. Reducing dietary fat does not guarantee weight loss because the calories of the rest of your macronutrients can be lower, higher or the same as the energy your body needs. That's why this app controls calories not fat, because it's more accurate and gets more consistent results.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rahmat805 wrote: »
    Thanks and i need time to think and understand that. Because It is different from information i got so far and my friend's dietary practices.

this is what happens when you have the blind leading the blind.

Your body requires that you burn more energy in order to use it's stored energy reserves (fat cells). Our bodies get energy (also called calories) from macronutrients.

All of the food we eat is made up of macronutrients: proteins, carbs, and fats and these provide energy, and micronutrients the vitamins and minerals we need.

So if you can understand.... it is an excess in total calories which causes your body to store energy. When you eat less energy than your body needs it uses it's stored energy.

The "fat" you eat is NOT body fats. An excess of any macronutrient which causes you to overeat total calories causes weight gain.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Thanks and this is very clear explanation to me. Can you advise me more to the point. So do you mean I am liberty to eat barbeque, beef satay, chocolate, and the like as long as total daily calorries under target?

Yep. >:) Just make sure you select the right entries and log accurately. There are some great links stickied at the top of the forums. I like these two myself:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Thanks and this is very clear explanation to me. Can you advise me more to the point. So do you mean I am liberty to eat barbeque, beef satay, chocolate, and the like as long as total daily calorries under target?

Yes, absolutely. In fact, I make room for ice cream and chocolate topping regularly. I wouldn't give it up for the world.

• rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Haha sure 100% agree.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Off course we need fat but the current situation may be already overlimit in the body. So is it wrong to avoid fatty foods for dietary? Is it a myth..

It is a myth. Unless you have a medical reason, there is no need to avoid anything. Fat's fine, dairy's fine, gluten is fine, carbs are GREAT!, protein's fine etc.

• rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    That's great. So burning calorries by much moving and exercise is the beautiful life I think now.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Yes you can eat all of these things in reasonable amounts as long as you don't go over your daily calories by much. Keep in mind that if you eat a lot of them you may feel hungry because you won't have calories left for other foods, so just try to have a nice balance of lower calorie foods and higher calorie foods. For example: 3-4 sticks of beef satay (depending on how large they are) with grilled vegetables and/or a large salad and a reasonably sized piece of bread or rice or whatever you like to eat them with, followed by a piece of chocolate. Preferably weigh all food items on a food scale before eating them to record them accurately in this app.

I have lost 37 kg so far eating high fat, low fat, high sugar, low sugar, bread, chocolate, ice cream, all of that. I just make sure not to eat too much of them to where they make me go above my calories or leave very few calories for other foods.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    That's great. So burning calorries by much moving and exercise is the beautiful life I think now.

good luck on your journey! :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Yep :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Drives me so crazy when people think dietary fat makes you fat. Carbohydrates are the worst macronutrient.
    It drives you crazy when people demonize one macronutrient while you demonize a different one?

30 years ago, carbs were king and fat was terrible. That wasn't any more right or wrong than the reverse thinking that's widely disseminated now.

I blame Susan Powter for my decades-long fear of fat.

susan-powter_l.jpg
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options

People really want there to be some weird reason they haven't lost weight in the past. There really aren't fancy tricks to losing weight, just eat less than you burn.

The nice thing about no fancy tricks is that there isn't anything special you NEED to do. Find out what works for you as long as you eat less calories than you burn. Don't get caught up in all the bells and whistles if you don't want to, they aren't necessary.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Exercise can certainly help and is great for your general health. But weight loss starts in the kitchen. Focus on lowering your calorie intake.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    Drives me so crazy when people think dietary fat makes you fat. Carbohydrates are the worst macronutrient.
    It drives you crazy when people demonize one macronutrient while you demonize a different one?

30 years ago, carbs were king and fat was terrible. That wasn't any more right or wrong than the reverse thinking that's widely disseminated now.

I blame Susan Powter for my decades-long fear of fat.

IMAGE REDACTED

I am soooooo close to flagging this.

o:)
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    :D