Almond milk

tarboro84
tarboro84 Posts: 26 Member
I assumed that almond milk offered a great amount of protein but it doesn't. It barely offer any at all. One can drink regular milk and get more protein than that. So...who drinks almond milk? Why do you drink it? What does it offer you??

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    almond milk is either less calories (for those on a lower calorie diet) so you can still fit in some milk product, those who have lactose issues, and or those who just like it.

if you don't have problems drinking regular milk- then drink regular milk.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    I personally don't agree, but a lot of people believe that dairy is bad for you.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    I have IBS so it is better on my stomach. Plus less calories. Also longer shelf life as I don't use milk much.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    tarboro84 wrote: »
    I assumed that almond milk offered a great amount of protein but it doesn't. It barely offer any at all. One can drink regular milk and get more protein than that. So...who drinks almond milk? Why do you drink it? What does it offer you??

I use it in protein shakes, because I feel like it helps me get the consistency and texture I'm looking for. Milk is delicious, but it makes my shakes too frothy and thick.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    I like the taste and it has fewer calories. I agree though - I also thought it had more protein at first.
  • lsh1983
    lsh1983 Posts: 1 Member
    I just use almond milk for my smoothies.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I drink it once in a while or pour it over some berries but only because I like the way it tastes.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    I like the taste of it on cereal.
  • gnarlykickflip
    gnarlykickflip Posts: 49 Member
    Almond milk is mostly water. It's sort of like an almond tea? Many people drink it for taste, or use it as a milk alternative. Maybe soy milk would be a better option for you?
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    It's really just about preference for most people. Or maybe a lactose allergy. I like how it tastes, the lower calories and added calcium and Vitamin D. It works great in a protein shake or tastes great on cereal.
  • It's mainly for lactose intolerant people, and offers a lower calorie alternative to milk, soya milk and coconut milk. I always get it whenever unsweetened soya milk isn't available. It's not really about the nutrition benefits, besides being low calorie, it's mostly just to avoid dairy
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    I use it because I can't stand the taste of milk, and I like the fact that it has fewer calories. The flavor is good when added to smoothies, too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I drink plant milks (for reasons unrelated to diet) and I only choose almond milk when I want something lower calorie. If I am choosing for protein, I choose soy milk. If I am choosing for taste, I choose cashew milk.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Good thread. I, too, also always thought that almond milk had protein until not too long ago. I do like the almond/coconut milk in my oatmeal and it's less calories and gives the creaminess compared to what I normally would use in plain water since I don't want the calories of milk.
  • Mapla
    Mapla Posts: 15 Member
    I drink almond milk as my stomach is sensitive to lactose. I tried soya milk but Im allergic to the protein in it and it made my mouth itch. I love that almond milk is low in calories and I drink it when I get fed up with water and sugar free cordial juice. X
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    It gives a lot of extra calcium (50% more than regular milk). Also, I like the taste, and it's lower calories (I use the unsweetened vanilla). It's also a little richer than regular milk, so I like it better in smoothies and with protein powder. I'm not lactose-intolerant, but I do have acid reflux, and the almond milk helps calm it for some reason. It's just personal preference, though.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Makes a yummy low cal horchata tasting smoothie with ice & cinnamon & vanilla.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I use it in oatmeal because I like the taste better in that, and it's less calories than milk. That's pretty much it.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited May 2016
    I prefer the taste of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and now I am also really enjoying cashew milk at 25 cal/1 cup.
    I get my protein from other food sources so protein count isn't a concern for me in beverages. The shelf line is longer if I don't use it and tastes much better.