What is your experience with Creatine?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for close to 6 months and I did experience a 5lbs weight gain. I was at 182 and went up to 187 in about a weeks time. Since then I've been maintaining at 186 with little fluctuation. I've had no side effects that I have noticed and have broken through quite a few PR's. My 1RM has gone up immensely on every lift. Which is tough to do eating at maintenance. So it's def something I'm going to continue to take. It's cheap, the scientific studies on the benefits are well researched and after speaking with my doctor as long as I don't start overdosing he said I needn't worry about the kidney issues. He ordered bloodwork about a month or so ago and my numbers came back fine and I'm doing 5 grams per day.

http://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

That site has some really good information on the studies and benefits. If you scroll down you'll see there is very strong evidence in the studies that it increases power output
    Creatine is the reference compound for power improvement, with numbers from one meta-analysis to assess potency being "Able to increase a 12% improvement in strength to 20% and able to increase a 12% increase in power to 26% following a training regiment using creatine monohydrate".

Really good article.

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Creatine is one of the most researched supplements out there. It's effective and cheap.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    random_123 wrote: »
    I'm a female using Creatine with the program Body Beast. I've never used it before and researched it a bit first. I bought some from GNC and it's Creatine Nitrate. The sales guy said it wouldn't cause as much water retention. I have gained about 5 lbs in 3 weeks. I was also at 150#'s and eating at 2000 calories as part of the Build/Bulk portion. I was wondering what everyone's experience was with it.

I'd ditch it. I used to use it quite a bit and I did see some small demonstrable effects on my 1RM, but I'm dubious about its bulking effects - did you load it first or start taking maintenance amounts right away? Anyway, frankly you're better served ditching it and making room for some extra whey or lean meat/fish in your diet plan while on a bulk. A small number of people do suffer from bloating and stomach aches as well so if you're one of those, definitely no point in using it.

You clearly don't understand how creatine works or what it's supposed to do.
    It's not a "bulking aid." It's a strength training aid (hence your results on 1rm).

OP, if you want to read all the details of how creatine actually works, you can read about it here (it's too much info to post):
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne13.htm

But basically, creatine 1) provides an increased amount of creatine phosphate (key energy source for heavy lifting) and 2) causes increased hydration of the muscle tissue (which is why they say it causes you to retain water).

This results in the ability to add a few pounds to your lift and/or get in an extra rep or two. Those extra pounds/reps result in a more intense workout which leads to greater results over time.

Most people will find it effective while there is a very small percentage of outliers who, for whatever reason, are non-responders who don't see any benefits.

As for taking it, 5 grams per day is good for most people. You can "load" it if you prefer but it isn't necessary. Loading does cause you to reach saturation more quickly but you'll reach it soon enough either way (saturation is the point where there's enough creatine in your system that it can't hold anymore so you're getting as much benefit as possible).
    Taking more than your body can hold just results in creatine being excreted in your urine.

Also worth noting is that creatine is now available is several different forms.
    Creatine monohydrate is still the cheapest and most readily available.
    Other types (like the creatine nitrate you were sold) are marketing hype to be able to charge more for creatine.
    Some types may boast a quicker uptake but monohydrate is already so readily absorbed by the body that to improve on it brings no benefit.

Yup, this right here. I also take 5g daily for the usefulness described above. It is also the most researched performance enhancing supplement, all kinds of info can be found on it online.
  • AndyJBacon
    AndyJBacon Posts: 43 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had great results, but wouldn't use it again.
    I was 20 and and dumb, and stuck on base overseas with nothing to do in my free time but workout. I had lifted every semester of high school, but had only increased strength, not bulk at all. I did the loading phase for six weeks (stupid), and my kidneys hurt. Still, I seemed to go harder/longer in the gym every time. It might have had something to do with working out for an hour plus nearly every day, but people were saying "holy crap!" about my arms in about a month. No other supplements.
    Then I came back to the States, stopped working out, and lost it all. Ha, don't do that.
    If it works for you, use it. Don't worry about the scale, just look for your gains.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Carlos covered most but one thing to note, it doesnt work for everyone, especially those who have large amounts of meat in their diet.

Personally, it gave me stomach cramps and it didnt improve my 1rm.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've seen good results from creatine. I just use the basic creatine monohydrate (body tech brand) 5grams with is a teaspoon each day. You may experience a slight retention of water initially but with continued use you should be fine. You can also get it through meats in your diet .
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Although there have also been studies that some may no respond to creatine supplementation .
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    AndyJBacon wrote: »
    I had great results, but wouldn't use it again.
    I was 20 and and dumb, and stuck on base overseas with nothing to do in my free time but workout. I had lifted every semester of high school, but had only increased strength, not bulk at all. I did the loading phase for six weeks (stupid), and my kidneys hurt. Still, I seemed to go harder/longer in the gym every time. It might have had something to do with working out for an hour plus nearly every day, but people were saying "holy crap!" about my arms in about a month. No other supplements.
    Then I came back to the States, stopped working out, and lost it all. Ha, don't do that.
    If it works for you, use it. Don't worry about the scale, just look for your gains.

Did your back hurt to know that your kidneys hurt or was there blood in your urine. Just wondering how you knew it was your kidneys.