Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I Don't Believe in Calorie Counting

Replies

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    OP, and you're here because...?
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    calorie counting vs. food understanding

¿Por qué no los dos?

Well, those years of French didn't help me here, but according to Google, the translation reads, "Why not both?"

Yes, why not?
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2016

¿Por qué no los dos?

Well, those years of French didn't help me here, but according to Google, the translation reads, "Why not both?"

Yes, why not?

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but you are the one who titled the thread, "I don't believe in calorie counting". Shouldn't you explain why we have to choose one approach instead of using both together?

ETA: if you don't want to count, that's fine; but nothing in your article convinces me that it's harmful and no one should count.
  • PiperGirl08
    edited May 2016
    mk2loser wrote: »
    OP, and you're here because...?

Because "here" is called, "MyFitnessPal." You do realize it is not called "MyCalorieCountingPal" right?

And also you do realize that "here" is owned by UnderArmor and is not a Calorie counting co-op. You do know this, yes? Comments like this make me worry that people don't know this.
  • PiperGirl08
    edited May 2016

¿Por qué no los dos?

Yes, why not?

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but you are the one who titled the thread, "I don't believe in calorie counting". Shouldn't you explain why we have to choose one approach instead of using both together?

ETA: if you don't want to count, that's fine; but nothing in your article convinces me that it's harmful and no one should count.

Actually, the thread title is that of the article. Also, do recall that this is the debate forum.

Also, the spanish language poster asked why not both. And given that this *is* the debate forum...
  • PiperGirl08
    edited May 2016
    "Shouldn't you explain why we have to choose one approach instead of using both together?"

You don't have to choose one or the other. You don't have to choose, either. Free will is a beautiful thing.
  • PiperGirl08
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    The main reason people use this site is to track CICO. You have to see why this thread is a bad idea? No? Carry on.

Well, given that this is the debate forum, no, I don't see why this thread is bad idea. Calorie counting enthusiasts should continue to count. No one should be threatened by a topic that presents an alternative viewpoint. Accept it, reject it. What else is there?
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I don't go to the extent of weighting everything, but I would not be where I was, if I did not track my calories.
  • JaneSnowe
    "Shouldn't you explain why we have to choose one approach instead of using both together?"

You don't have to choose one or the other. You don't have to choose, either. Free will is a beautiful thing.

I just now see your reply and that we're on the same page. So what was the debate again?
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    I think the reason most of us need to count is because we did not develop healthy habits as children. We grew up with parents who had no idea about good nutrition and told us to eat everything on our plates, etc. Now, if we try to eat by eyeballing or until we are content, we over eat. It's something we grew up with, so it becomes habit when we are not tracking.

Sorry if I sound like I am speaking for everyone. It's my opinion on why there is a struggle with obesity in this world. Ignorance.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    The main reason people use this site is to track CICO. You have to see why this thread is a bad idea? No? Carry on.

Well, given that this is the debate forum, no, I don't see why this thread is bad idea. Calorie counting enthusiasts should continue to count. No one should be threatened by a topic that presents an alternative viewpoint. Accept it, reject it. What else is there?

Kind of an intellectually "lite" article for the debate section. It probably belongs more in Chit Chat. Although good to know we can find her food products at Target.
  • PiperGirl08

I just now see your reply and that we're on the same page. So what was the debate again?

Ha ha, I'm not sure I remember anymore... :-)
  • PiperGirl08
    I think the reason most of us need to count is because we did not develop healthy habits as children. We grew up with parents who had no idea about good nutrition and told us to eat everything on our plates, etc. Now, if we try to eat by eyeballing or until we are content, we over eat. It's something we grew up with, so it becomes habit when we are not tracking.

Sorry if I sound like I am speaking for everyone. It's my opinion on why there is a struggle with obesity in this world. Ignorance.

I read that the average American woman used to consume 1600 calories a day in 1960 and now consumes 1900. I wonder if that's not because we are more comfortable then we were coming out of the war years. The American standard of living has increased considerable since that time, so there is more food on the plate to force kids to consume. Just thinking as I type.
  • PiperGirl08
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    Tracey "no woman should lift more than 3lb ever" Anderson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyvbm6qpQw4

Why is she still even a thing?

I don't know her. Which one is she -- the lithe blonde, the tall, thinner woman behind or the chunky one with the ponytail near the door?

She's the one who isn't Gwyneth Paltrow or the lady with the ponytail...

Ha ha, not sure which one is Paltrow, either, but neither of these closer women is hideous.

You do realize that someone can be "hideous" in attitude, not just physical attribute?

This is true, though I'm not sure that taking an approach besides counting calories qualifies someone as hideous.

No, it's the fact she's selling her philosophy and says so many very bad things that make her hideous.

Bad things like what? That calories counting isn't necessary, but rather food understanding is? Oh, the horror.

Yeah, the horror. I understand that eating more nutritious food is better for me. Eating 3000 calories of it is not.
    Someone could lose weight eating deep fried twinkies every day if they kept in deficit. That is scientifically proven. What is not scientifically proven? That understanding deep fried twinkies on an emotional and spiritual level will cause you to lose weight.

Of course the real underlying question is what would lead anyone who hasn't burned 3000 calories in a day to feel the need to consume that many or how having that much food in one's stomach could even be comfortable, regularly. But if counting helps, count away. But attacking people who don't count, also a problem.
  • JaneSnowe
    edited May 2016

I've been trying to understand your position and even went back and reread all your posts here to see if I'd missed something. And I did-- you stated early on that "I agree that it doesn't have to be an either or other choice, but to the author's point, I can't count the number of posts I've seem on MFP with people berating themselves because they blew their budget. The stress and self-loathing she describes are real. Her point is that if people understand food better, then the problems that lead to weight gain can be much eliminated." I am totally on board with this and see better where you are coming from. I don't know the author of the article but if the other posters are right about her I'd be careful about taking all of her advice--but I can see this viewpoint of yours.

*tips hat to @PiperGirl08*