How am I NOT losing weight?!

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    charlireah wrote: »
    How is eating less than 1500 calories a day dangerous, especially for someone who is 5'2"?

Well they say the average amount a woman should consume is 2000 calories and eating 1200 surely won't give you all the nutrients your body needs?

I'm 5' 4" and would gain weight very quickly if I ate 2000 calories a day. In fact, part of the reason I was fat to begin with is because I believed that 1800 to 2000 calories is normal for all women. It was surprising to learn how much less a woman of my height should eat!
  • charlireah
    charlireah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    How is eating less than 1500 calories a day dangerous, especially for someone who is 5'2"?

Well they say the average amount a woman should consume is 2000 calories and eating 1200 surely won't give you all the nutrients your body needs?

I'm 5" 4' and would gain weight very quickly if I ate 2000 calories a day. In fact, part of the reason I was fat to begin with is because I believed that 1800 to 2000 calories is normal for all women. It was surprising to learn how much less a woman of my height should eat!

Gosh that's shocking! It sucks too haha because eating that little sounds so difficult!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Jams009 wrote: »
    You're eating more than you think.

I'm really not. I'm very strict.

No, you're not. That's obvious from all of your posts.
    I rarely estimate. I don't weigh good usually because it's already been done. Pasta and. cereal are so I estimate.

That's not strict at all. Also, the weights on the packages are typically not accurate to begin with. A user here a week or so ago posted how her pizza was off by something like 43%.

I am strict. If I meticulously counted and weighed every single calorie that would be extremely obsessive and not a habit I'm willing to start. I am strict within my limits.

You mentioned up-thread that you don't weigh food. This tells us that you're not strict at all. Even pre-weighed foods are off and you must weigh them. Weigh everything except liquids. With so little to lose, you must weigh all your food, use the most accurate database entries available and log everything with the utmost accuracy. Otherwise you'll just go over and keep hitting maintenance and not lose weight. You asked for help and have been given the tools and solutions to assist you, yet you're not agreeing with the tools and solutions. Instead of knocking the answers of those who have been where you are now, why not try for a couple of months?

Whenever I don't weigh my food, I maintain my weight. When I do weigh my food I lose. Easy.

rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Also, I cannot always go by the nutritional information on a food package. They are notoriously inaccurate. You have to weigh that food too! I have eaten a package of crackers before that said the entire package was 150 calories and 35 grams. However, when I weighed that package it was actually 48 grams! It is very easy to think you are eating that 150 calories when you are actually eating more like 205 calories. Little things like that add up quickly.

That's terrifying! I really can't weigh every single thing, it would definitely encourage unhealthy eating habit but thank you for that information

Do you have a history of disordered eating habits?

Yes. I do not have an eating disorder but have been very close to it so I must be wary. I am quite obsessive about losing these few pounds. I don't want to be underweight.

Then do a body re composition instead, which is eating at your maintenance and heavy lifting. Being obsessed about a number on the scale is not healthy...
  • JaneSnowe
    edited May 2016
    Options

I'm 5" 4' and would gain weight very quickly if I ate 2000 calories a day. In fact, part of the reason I was fat to begin with is because I believed that 1800 to 2000 calories is normal for all women. It was surprising to learn how much less a woman of my height should eat!

Gosh that's shocking! It sucks too haha because eating that little sounds so difficult!

...I didn't say how much I eat... :D

Edit: If you're simply referring to the 1200 kcal mentioned, I agree that it would be difficult for an active person such as yourself to eat so little!
  • amybugfit
    amybugfit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Circuit training workouts are great for getting toned and in shape.
    Tone It Up (free) or the Bikini Body Girl ($$) workout programs are great plus you can do them at home if you don't have gym access. Look 'em up on Instagram to see other girls using it and how they're doing.
    Cheers and good luck!

(I understand not wanting to use a food scale, it's easy to become obsessed with numbers so you do what you feel is a healthy and safe option for you. You know yourself better than anyone else. :smile: )
  • charlireah
    Options
    amybugfit wrote: »
    Circuit training workouts are great for getting toned and in shape.
    Tone It Up (free) or the Bikini Body Girl ($$) workout programs are great plus you can do them at home if you don't have gym access. Look 'em up on Instagram to see other girls using it and how they're doing.
    Cheers and good luck!

(I understand not wanting to use a food scale, it's easy to become obsessed with numbers so you do what you feel is a healthy and safe option for you. You know yourself better than anyone else. :smile: )

Thank you!!? Thank you for your advice and not asking me personal questions about my issues. All I wanted was some health advice, not to defend myself :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

But you can't be sure if you're not weighing everything, all the time. I'm sorry if it's disappointing but that is indeed the answer. You sound active, which is great, but fat loss happens with a caloric deficit.

Take a week and measure everything, even packaged food. I can't tell you how many times I have been surprised when I weigh a packaged item. It's a small example, but just last night I weighed my tortilla from the package. 70g was a serving and the tortilla was 75g. I removed 5g of edge piece before eating it. It takes one minute, and doing this for all packaged food saves me plenty of excess calories. I didn't do the math to figure out how many calories were in that extra 5g but I'm absolutely positive that if all food is off by even a small amount it would add up and could definitely wipe out any small deficit you have.

This is especially important because you don't have a lot of excess fat, your body needs fewer calories also because of your small frame. Don't get all angry and reject good advise just because you are being shown a mistake! I kind of did the other day, I wanted to give up because someone told me I wasn't losing at the expected rate because my fitbit lies to me. I was irrationally angry, but that person was probably right and now I'm just focusing on the MFP numbers and lowering my exercise estimate because it's seeming to hold me back.

Give it a try at least, I bet you'll find success in a few weeks.

I didn't get angry or reject gold advice. I had an eating disorder in the past and absolutely cannot weigh food and risk going back to that state. Thanks for your information however.I will have to increase my exercise and hope this helps.

To be honest it sounds like you need to speak to someone about your obsession with numbers on the scales as a priority rather than trying to lose weight or anything else.

I already am. I am receiving minor therapy for the issue but thank you

And have they supported you being on a calorie counting website or trying to lose weight?

It really isn't your place to ask that question. I'm not on this forum to be investigated, I'm just asking for advice and have stated that weighing food is not an option due to past issues. I am very aware of what I am doing.

It's absolutely our business--If you are suffering from a mental illness, I'm not going to give someone advice on how to further hurt themselves.

No it isn't. I do not have a mental illness so please calm yourself. I have been close to an eating disorder in the past, this was clearly stated earlier. I do not have an eating disorder currently and receiving minor therapy to sustain this (and I didn't have to tell you that either). it's rude to make assumptions about someone wanting to hurt themselves. I love my body, I just want to be leaner as I'm so short.

Leaner doesn't necessarily mean lower scale weight.... so then what happens?
  • charlireah
    Options

I rarely estimate. I don't weigh good usually because it's already been done. Pasta and. cereal are so I estimate.

That's not strict at all. Also, the weights on the packages are typically not accurate to begin with. A user here a week or so ago posted how her pizza was off by something like 43%.

I am strict. If I meticulously counted and weighed every single calorie that would be extremely obsessive and not a habit I'm willing to start. I am strict within my limits.

You mentioned up-thread that you don't weigh food. This tells us that you're not strict at all. Even pre-weighed foods are off and you must weigh them. Weigh everything except liquids. With so little to lose, you must weigh all your food, use the most accurate database entries available and log everything with the utmost accuracy. Otherwise you'll just go over and keep hitting maintenance and not lose weight. You asked for help and have been given the tools and solutions to assist you, yet you're not agreeing with the tools and solutions. Instead of knocking the answers of those who have been where you are now, why not try for a couple of months?

Whenever I don't weigh my food, I maintain my weight. When I do weigh my food I lose. Easy.

rhtexasgal wrote: »
    Also, I cannot always go by the nutritional information on a food package. They are notoriously inaccurate. You have to weigh that food too! I have eaten a package of crackers before that said the entire package was 150 calories and 35 grams. However, when I weighed that package it was actually 48 grams! It is very easy to think you are eating that 150 calories when you are actually eating more like 205 calories. Little things like that add up quickly.

That's terrifying! I really can't weigh every single thing, it would definitely encourage unhealthy eating habit but thank you for that information

Do you have a history of disordered eating habits?

Yes. I do not have an eating disorder but have been very close to it so I must be wary. I am quite obsessive about losing these few pounds. I don't want to be underweight.

Then do a body re composition instead, which is eating at your maintenance and heavy lifting. Being obsessed about a number on the scale is not healthy...

Agreed, it isn't. I will work on avoiding scales, thank you.
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Why not google intuitive eating? There's a great book or even on audio for it. It helps you heal from food obsessions and really tune in to what your body needs, hunger cues and such.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options

You're strict by your standards, but not anyone else's. You're probably strictly eating more like 1700-1800 calories and under the impression it's 1500. With your methods, you'd never know.

Just know that you either need to exercise more or eat less or both, within reason, to lose weight.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Yes... I weigh everything and the packaging has been wrong more than it's been right, w/ the error being that there is more in the package then the serving says. Perfect example: Pure Protein Shakes. The package states 11oz for 160 calories. I've measure and there's actually 12oz which makes it 175cals. Again that's just 1 example but since I weigh all my food, I have seen it more than you'd think! After a while those "extra" calories add up... and they add up to weight gain!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP-for future reference when asking for advice it would be helpful if you included pertinent info, like the fact that you do have a history with EDs in your FIRST post, so people aren't wasting their time trying to help you without knowing what's actually going on :p

And yeah, doing a body recomp/lifting is probably going to be your best way forward, given your history and the fact that you're already at a very healthy weight/bmi.

• amybugfit
    amybugfit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!? Thank you for your advice and not asking me personal questions about my issues. All I wanted was some health advice, not to defend myself :(

If you want more info, lemme know and I can lead you in the right direction. :)
  • LilDebbieG71
    LilDebbieG71 Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You're not in a deficit

This...

• ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    People!! For heavens sake, STOP with the food scale advice. OP has stated numerous times that she has had problems with disordered eating in the past and that food scales are a trigger for her. Accept it. With all other information given, recomp should really be the goal.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    People!! For heavens sake, STOP with the food scale advice. OP has stated numerous times that she has had problems with disordered eating in the past and that food scales are a trigger for her. Accept it. With all other information given, recomp should really be the goal.

She did not however, include that piece of information in her First post. Many times people only read the OP and then respond, because they don't have the time or inclination to read through a long thread. The only reason I read through the whole thing is because the OP as it stood didn't match up to how many responses it was generating, which was a clue that something else was going on. And surprise surprise, there was :p
  • JaneSnowe
    Options

+100
  • charlireah
    Options
    OP-for future reference when asking for advice it would be helpful if you included pertinent info, like the fact that you do have a history with EDs in your FIRST post, so people aren't wasting their time trying to help you without knowing what's actually going on :p

And yeah, doing a body recomp/lifting is probably going to be your best way forward, given your history and the fact that you're already at a very healthy weight/bmi.

Well I didn't want to have to end up broadcasting it to be honest!
  • charlireah
    Options

She did not however, include that piece of information in her First post. Many times people only read the OP and then respond, because they don't have the time or inclination to read through a long thread. The only reason I read through the whole thing is because the OP as it stood didn't match up to how many responses it was generating, which was a clue that something else was going on. And surprise surprise, there was :p

Even after that, she didn't come out with it. She said it sounded obsessive. Then she said she had issues and was worried a scale would be a trigger (not that it actually was). Then she said she had an actual disorder (later that she doesn't). That's when most people came out with advocating that she seek help. I would be perfectly happy to start advising exercise, except we all know that obsessive exercise is just another facet to a disorder, don't we? That's when it becomes relevant as to whether she's receiving any kind of help.

I did specify the scale would trigger for me but IM not on trial here so why are you constantly probing??? You would be perfectly happy to advise exercise except you assume I would turn that into an obsession? Do you have any idea how presumptuous and impolite that is?
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Your past and your methods aside, is there anything else you need help with or are you good to go?