• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to water
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    LivLovLrn wrote: »
    When I think of sugar detox I think of eliminating sugar cane specifically from the diet. To do that you need to look at every ingredient of every single thing you eat because sugar cane is addictive and they put it in everything these days! If you do this type of "detox" you will lose those cravings faster; but if you only do it for X amount of days there really isn't much point because you will just go back to eating the way you were before and go back to cravings and gain weight back. Making a lifestyle change is the better choice than any 21 day or 14 day or any number of day detox or cleanse or diet or whatever else they call it.

What is it about sugar cane that is toxic?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would sugar cane be addictive?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    When I think of sugar detox I think of eliminating sugar cane specifically from the diet. To do that you need to look at every ingredient of every single thing you eat because sugar cane is addictive and they put it in everything these days! If you do this type of "detox" you will lose those cravings faster; but if you only do it for X amount of days there really isn't much point because you will just go back to eating the way you were before and go back to cravings and gain weight back. Making a lifestyle change is the better choice than any 21 day or 14 day or any number of day detox or cleanse or diet or whatever else they call it.

Interesting since barely anything uses sugar cane actually.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

The bolded part is true. The rest of it... Not so much.

• tb221
    tb221 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Cylie5 wrote: »
    Hi All! Figured I should start posting and makes some more buddies, plus its nice to talk to people in a similar boat than me.

So my hubby and I started the 21DSD, we're currently on day 4. They said by day 4 the sweet addiction/craving should start to subside. I still want a vanilla latte from Starbucks very bad, but I'm not running out to get one.

I did my own sugar ban back in the fall, I stayed away from sugar but I ate fruit occasionally, used Truvia in my coffee, and on the weekends I treated myself to sugar free items. I also held off on soda except for the weekends (that was pretty normal for me anyway, not big on soda). I did for from Halloween til Christmas, and lost about 10(ish) pounds. I was thoroughly happy.

I wanted to do another one after the holidays, my goal was to get back to pre-baby weight. I also wanted to do something a bit more stricter so that's why I decided to try this.

It definitely is restrictive, and there's lots of protein. The sugar cravings, I'm dealing with, trying to stay busy with prepping, housework, taking care of the kid and trying to find some time to get some excercise in.

Couple things I don't care for is one its expensive, but most of the stuff we buy is being stretched out. second is the amount of protein/fats were eating. I got nervous because I don't have a regular excerise routine down (I'm horrible at time management) and my thought was all this protein would turn into fat and I'd end up gaining weight. The weather is starting to get nice little by little so I'm trying to find times where I can go for a walk.

Has anyone ever done this before? Would love to chat with someone who has completed for is doing it to compare notes/tips/suggestions.

I did this last May and lost 11 lbs. Over the summer I ate what I wanted, but walked a ton as I was on vacation for a month. I gained like 2 lbs back but when I was back to real life (no calorie counting, not much exercise, working 50 hours a week) I gained it back plus more by the end of the year (the holidays didnt help).

I think if you count your calories and exercise regularly after the detox you'll be able to keep it off.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, this is not a "diet", it is a 21 day plan to help eliminate the cravings for sugary foods. And yes, that includes table sugar, naturally occurring sugars in fruits and vegetables, and artificial sweeteners. It is not designed to be a long term diet plan and instead is geared towards moving you on towards a diet that doesn't center around sugary foods.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, this is not a "diet", it is a 21 day plan to help eliminate the cravings for sugary foods. And yes, that includes table sugar, naturally occurring sugars in fruits and vegetables, and artificial sweeteners. It is not designed to be a long term diet plan and instead is geared towards moving you on towards a diet that doesn't center around sugary foods.

The premise of the plan - that people can be " sugar addicts" - is false.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

So a program designed to move you away from eating nutrient dense foods like fruits and vegetables? Hmmm....
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    So it's designed to stop you eating vegetables and fruit? That sounds like the worst thing ever and teaches you nothing but bad habits. A good diet has you eating nutrient dense food and teaches you how to eat well long after you've stopped cutting calories. This does none of that, what a pile of silliness.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

How about just moving your diet towards foods that are not so sugary while keeping the fruts and vegetables? Or is moderation just not gimmicky enough?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    no input on the post except that your dog is SO CUTE!!!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I once tried a zero carb diet for 4 days because I thought I was addicted to sugar. I was thirsty, and had a headache the entire time..
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have done the 21dsd multiple times and think it is a great reset for your taste buds (which is why fruit and starches of any kind are not allowed for the 21 days). By the end of my first round, I was no longer hypoglycemic and I did not crave sugar -- and I didn't like sweet things the way I had before. I no longer needed sugar in my coffee or tea even! Anyway, I do it a couple of times a year now and really swear by it. It was much more helpful and effective than the Whole 30 at helping with my auto-immune issues.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Every day, at least once, the sugar post comes up. Sugar is not bad. Everything is bad if you eat or drink too many calories.
    All things in moderation. Retrain yourself to eat within your calorie budget, while losing and maintaining.
    You have to be able to do this in order to sustain the weight loss. Why not develop the habits from the start?

and you can walk anytime, I live in Minnesota and walk year round, outside.

This.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    1) necro thread
    2) no. Just no.