Paelo Challenge

Options

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Haha...I "guinea pigged" myself on Saturday night. I have been eating strictly for 5+ months and planned on having a carb "refeed" as an experiment to see how my body reacted. My girlfriend took me to dinner as a belated Father's Day deal and I decided afterward "let's see how Coldstone Creamery makes my body react after consistently taking in <50g's carbs daily for almost 6 months."

Bad idea. At first the "Coffee Lover's Only" ice cream tasted SO good. An hour later my stomach felt like World War III was going on in it. Didn't gain any weight or bodyfat but I won't be doing THAT again.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Alcohol - Is prioritized by the body to get it out of the blood stream. It will burn alcohol before anything. Just keep that in mind.
  • rosadona
    rosadona Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    man, today has not been a good start. it's a nannying day and not only does she want to eat the worst things, but she's a little cranky which makes me a little cranky which makes me stress eat. plus i have a headache and the weather sucks, wah wah wah. totally forgot to start the paleo challenge, but reinforced the fact that it's something i need to do. tomorrow!
  • RiverInTheRoad
    Options
    man, today has not been a good start. it's a nannying day and not only does she want to eat the worst things, but she's a little cranky which makes me a little cranky which makes me stress eat. plus i have a headache and the weather sucks, wah wah wah. totally forgot to start the paleo challenge, but reinforced the fact that it's something i need to do. tomorrow!

All is good rosadona. Maybe you can bring some paleo friendly snacks/ meals with you in a backpack so if you do feel like stress eating, you'll have something to munch on. It's better then resorting to those dastardly gold fish. e_e
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    So alcohol... anyone else doing fairly low carb noticed that they don't get tipsy/drunk as easily? It's kind of annoying! I don't want to get sloshed, but it kind of defeats the purpose if I don't even feel relaxed.

As far as feeling hungry goes, I almost never feel hungry when eating so much protein. I would honestly guess the all you can eat buffet smelled really good. Just thinking about eating can stimulate insulin release, so smelling all that yummy food probably made your insulin go up, which makes you feel hungrier than you were? I don't know...

I had to have some blood tests this morning, which meant no food before hand, so I was feeling real hunger for the first time in weeks. It kind of threw off the rest of the day for me. I hate to blame it on TOM but it just makes me want to eat the world... especially the chocolate part. Now my stomach hurts. Tomorrow will be 100% better.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    So alcohol... anyone else doing fairly low carb noticed that they don't get tipsy/drunk as easily? It's kind of annoying! I don't want to get sloshed, but it kind of defeats the purpose if I don't even feel relaxed.

Actually, I've noticed the opposite!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Alcohol - Is prioritized by the body to get it out of the blood stream. It will burn alcohol before anything. Just keep that in mind.

Yeah, that sucks for fat loss :( But the body's gotta do what the body's gotta do...
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Started Paleo/Primal a little over 5 months ago. I've dropped about 40 lbs, 6 jean sizes and 12.4% bodyfat. I also incorporate LeanGains intermittent fasting and eat two times a day (a little over 1000 calories per meal) using StrongLifts5x5 for my "lift heavy things" and 45 minute walks for my "walk long distances."

The only downsides, for some (not me in the case of carb flu) is the first week where many get what they call the "carb flu." Guess these are withdrawals. Never experienced it. When I initially started, whether it was the shock to my system due to change in diet or what, I had a brutal kidney stone return. It was gone within 3 days and everything has been good since. Also have GERD and I've heard that the removal of grains helps rid the GERD for many. Not for me, yet. The increased fat intake may have irritated mine...not in the form of heartburn but more mucousy issues in the throat.

For me, the upside has been alertness & increased energy levels. I have sleep apnea and even with the CPAP machine I'd still have a lot of "zombie-like" days. Rarely, if ever, have those anymore.

As far as food goes, farmers markets are a good call for produce. I'd recommend hooking up with a farmer to buy grassfed beef, natural pork, poultry, egss, etc. I buy my beef & pork by the half.

I finally pitched all my excuses in the garbage pail when my GERD got so out of control that it put me in line for surgery on my LES (lower esophageal sphincter). Almost 6 years ago, I almost died from an emergency C-section due to my body's reaction to anesthesia. I didn't walk for 3 1/2 years after giving birth to my daughter. The neuromotor/neuromuscular damage was frustrating to say the least. I was not about to risk death by anesthesia if I could prevent that with a change in supplements and nutrition.

In late March, in response to my medical crisis, my coach sent me the link below from Chris Kresser's blog, The Healthy Skeptic. I went VLC Primal/Paleo/Keto that very day but consider myself to still be on a huge learning curve. After about 60 days of less than 20 g CHO as a goal, my digestion significantly improved and I was able to add in Betaine HCL acid to my supplement protocols and enjoy more veggies to the tune of 40-65 g CHO daily.

I'd like to take up this challenge to compare to the previous 98 days and see if being strictly Paleo would feel any different than the minor details that vary with Primal.

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/heartburn
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    Thanks to all the current paleos for contributing their stories and super useful links and recommendations!! :bigsmile: You're really helping all us newbs out.

For those that do follow the diet, what does your typical workout week look like? :smile:

* 1-2 days of Kettlebell training for 5-20 minutes/day
    * 3-6 days of walking slowly for as much of my day as I can squeeze out so maybe 20 minutes, maybe 3-4 hours doing some half/whole day outdoor adventure with my Kidling
    * 1 sprint when I feel moved
    * no cortisol producing people/places/activities if I have any choice in the matter (this includes stress creating cardio)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bump
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

As far as feeling hungry goes, I almost never feel hungry when eating so much protein. I would honestly guess the all you can eat buffet smelled really good. Just thinking about eating can stimulate insulin release, so smelling all that yummy food probably made your insulin go up, which makes you feel hungrier than you were? I don't know...

I don't know. There was something about the way it felt that was different. more clarity. I think many of us don't know really what proper hunger and properly full actually is. The usual sign for most people is feeling bloated and needing to loosen the belt!!. I was amazed at how much food I could cheerfully eat whereas normally I have steered away from all-you-can-eat places because for me they are often a waste of money.

I ned to retrain my body - or at least retrain my brain to understand the signals. The last couple of days I've been doing this (I am still logging if only to find out how many carbs I am actually on from fruit and veggies) I have noticed my stomach feels cleaner and my senses are sharper. And there is hunger, but it is a different kind of hunger. It's a hunger from eating good clean food and there is somthing nice about it.
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    ok so i really want to join but i have a few questions and the great firewall of china has prevented me from looking at most websites...
    what about wine?
    im going on vacay in a week to see the terracotta warriers and i know there will be partying involved...
    yay or nay?
    either way count me in!

Details! I haven't seen them yet. My daughter is Russian/Irish on my side and a quarter Chinese from her donor who is half. We plan to visit China when she's a little older.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    I am struggling with calories today. I am logging for the moment just to see how high carb rates are in many of the things I eat, and I have about 550 calories left at the end of the day for dinner out of my personal goal/minimum of 1300. How do I get more calories?

I am wary of high fat as I had my gallbladder out a couple of years ago and sometimes if I eat high fat things it makes me feel sick with all the extra bile (word from the wise - do not eat lamb and artichoke tagine if you have had your gallbladder out. causes super-production of bile and leaves you wanting to vomit....). I am not a huge fan of nuts except for peanuts.

any ideas?
  • girlinahat
    Options
    ok so i really want to join but i have a few questions and the great firewall of china has prevented me from looking at most websites...
    what about wine?
    im going on vacay in a week to see the terracotta warriers and i know there will be partying involved...
    yay or nay?
    either way count me in!

Details! I haven't seen them yet. My daughter is Russian/Irish on my side and a quarter Chinese from her donor who is half. We plan to visit China when she's a little older.

I saw them in London when they were on tour (!), twice in fact because we had a private view. I confess as a professional conservator I was very interested in the way they had been repaired (yeah okay, I was on a 2 day conference on adhesives.....).

I would love to see them in the flesh.
  • chelle1a
    chelle1a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I want to do this so bad because I KNOW that it is the right way to eat (atleast for me it is) but I can't seem to make it one week without giving in and turning back. What is a good carb goal to stick to? The reason I ask is I want to eat fruit and nuts when I feel like snacking, but they both have carbs and some fruits have a ton, so I am wondering what is a good carb goal to stick to each day. I actually broke myself away from going to starbucks and caribou coffee and don't even drink a coffee everyday (this is big because I used to drink 2-3 a morning and a starbucks or caribou everyday). I also gave up diet soda and just drink water now. My husband is willing to do this too, so we will incorporate this into our whole family eating plan and maybe that will be the difference I needed? I know the challenge is closed, but I may do it on my own and just read what all yall are doing. Good luck everyone!
  • RiverInTheRoad
    Options
    I am struggling with calories today. I am logging for the moment just to see how high carb rates are in many of the things I eat, and I have about 550 calories left at the end of the day for dinner out of my personal goal/minimum of 1300. How do I get more calories?

I am wary of high fat as I had my gallbladder out a couple of years ago and sometimes if I eat high fat things it makes me feel sick with all the extra bile (word from the wise - do not eat lamb and artichoke tagine if you have had your gallbladder out. causes super-production of bile and leaves you wanting to vomit....). I am not a huge fan of nuts except for peanuts.

any ideas?

I have a recipe for paleo meatloaf that would take you all the way to 600 cals per serving. I can post if you'd like. :)