Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Okay but tell me this.

Are you still losing weight right now?

What are your current eating habits like?

I am maintaining now for almost 2 years now.

Maintaining is okay.

I want to try and help you lose the weight that you need to get to goal though so we need to figure out what is going on.

shes at her goal weight.which is why she is maintaining her weight. she doesnt want to lose anymore weight,nothing is going on. she is where she wants/needs to be.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    tenshi614 wrote: »
    The calories plus what it says 2 eat from exercising, but I don't eat it all. I leave 200 to 400 left every time, sometimes more. I don't have a scale I use the bar codes and measuring spoons and stuff. I am 5ft 4 in Age 28

You aren't supposed to eat the Exercised off calories back on!
    You actually just doubled you're calorie intake by doing that!

yes, MFP gives you a deficit built in to lose weight. any exercise you do results in a bigger deficit,which is why its recommended to eat back some of the exercise calories,you will still be in a deficit and lose weight,if your deficit is too big you risk malnutrition and other issues
  • hclaudia50
    hclaudia50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue myself, and lost nothing for 2 months. Now I use MFP, try to accurately weigh everything after purchasing a food scale. I also added in a work-out DVD plus walking. After two weeks, my measurements have not budged, but I finally lost 3lbs. I also increased my water consumption to more than to more than 72oz per day. I am new to all this and still learning. Keep up the good work!! I typically do not eat my exercise calories....and am focusing on over-all good health. I do not eat out.
  • kateland
    kateland Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yeah.....

So anyway, the reason this is all confusing and people have different experiences is because the formula doesn't work for everyone. The math is different for some of us than others. And there's new science behind it, too. When you lose weight at any point, rapidly, your body actually slows down your metabolism at your lesser weight. It spikes your hunger and cravings to get you to eat to go back up to your previous weight.

I'm suggesting that there may be more to it than your carbs, food scale, caloric intake, although those are valid things you should tweak and pay attention to, because tightening up those things will actually help you figure out if you have a slow metabolism. You may have to eat less and burn more than MFP or anyone here tells you to. (or, another underlying condition; so talk to your doctor and not a bunch of opinionated people on the internet)

A study was just done on Biggest Loser contestants. One of the guys who lost a ton of weight has to eat 800 calories LESS than someone else his exact (over)weight who has NOT dieted because of the changes to his metabolism.
    Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.

What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.

Mr. Cahill was one of the worst off. As he regained more than 100 pounds, his metabolism slowed so much that, just to maintain his current weight of 295 pounds, he now has to eat 800 calories a day less than a typical man his size. Anything more turns to fat.

Source http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0
  • kateland
    kateland Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for not being the exception!
  • luicaralex
    luicaralex Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue as well for some reason I keep eating over my calories. I did this once before and it helped but for some reason its not working as well. It seems like Im starving all the time.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    kateland wrote: »
    Yeah.....

So anyway, the reason this is all confusing and people have different experiences is because the formula doesn't work for everyone. The math is different for some of us than others. And there's new science behind it, too. When you lose weight at any point, rapidly, your body actually slows down your metabolism at your lesser weight. It spikes your hunger and cravings to get you to eat to go back up to your previous weight.

I'm suggesting that there may be more to it than your carbs, food scale, caloric intake, although those are valid things you should tweak and pay attention to, because tightening up those things will actually help you figure out if you have a slow metabolism. You may have to eat less and burn more than MFP or anyone here tells you to. (or, another underlying condition; so talk to your doctor and not a bunch of opinionated people on the internet)

A study was just done on Biggest Loser contestants. One of the guys who lost a ton of weight has to eat 800 calories LESS than someone else his exact (over)weight who has NOT dieted because of the changes to his metabolism.
    Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.

What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.

Mr. Cahill was one of the worst off. As he regained more than 100 pounds, his metabolism slowed so much that, just to maintain his current weight of 295 pounds, he now has to eat 800 calories a day less than a typical man his size. Anything more turns to fat.

Source http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0

You might want to take a look at this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10384484/james-krieger-on-the-biggest-loser-study-thats-going-around/p1

And maybe do a search for ninerbuff's post about that study as well.

What do you mean by "the formula"? Do you mean the numbers that MFP or similar will spit out when you tell it you want to lose weight? That's an estimate. There's no way such calculators can be completely precise for every single individual. For some people that estimate will be spot on. For others, they may have to raise or lower calories, depending on results. It's not because "the formula" doesn't work. People have to use common sense. If one is logging accurately (meaning entering correct portions of food as well as choosing correct entries) and being as honest as they can about daily activity level and exercise, then you're one who will just have to adjust based on real-world results. But it's unlikely that the estimate is going to be hundreds of calories off for the average person if they are being really honest. The first step should be to look at logging before trying to jump to "my metabolism is slow!"

This^^^
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    U R E ting 2 much to lose weight, ez game.

OMG stop lol It makes my brain hurt trying to read in "text talk"

She said that the other girl is Eating too many calories.
    Which she is right.
    The girl ate her 1,200 than excersize thinking she could eat the eat the the excersized off calories minus 200-400 calories and lose weight but that is not true.

Actually it is true. She ate 1200. Burned maybe 100, giving her a net of 1100. She could eat back the 100 to get back to 1200. That's the point - that's how you use MFP as it is intended.

However... she thinks she burned over 500 calories and is eating 100 to 300 back. And is probably eating a lot more than 1200 calories if she doesn't measure properly or gives herself free-bees (including veggies and fruits maybe).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Use the equation weight in pounds * distance walk in miles * 0.3 for your walks and you will see that your calories for your walks are probably gross overestimates.