Y am I not losing weight?

Options

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    tenshi614 wrote: »
    Many entries come up for "banana, small" but your idea of "small" may be 50 calories more than that entry.
    This is where some people run into trouble with eyeballing.. I for one am "greedy" with my servings unless I weight things. A tablespoon of peanut butter? Ok, but I heap it up as much as I can! Weighing things prevents me from cheating myself out of a calorie deficit and feeling like I worked so hard for it.

Hell yeah! I can get half a jar onto a tablespoon if I try hard enough.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,526 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    U R E ting 2 much to lose weight, ez game.

OMG stop lol It makes my brain hurt trying to read in "text talk"

She said that the other girl is Eating too many calories.
    Which she is right.
    The girl ate her 1,200 than excersize thinking she could eat the eat the the excersized off calories minus 200-400 calories and lose weight but that is not true.

Actually it is true. She ate 1200. Burned maybe 100, giving her a net of 1100. She could eat back the 100 to get back to 1200. That's the point - that's how you use MFP as it is intended.

However... she thinks she burned over 500 calories and is eating 100 to 300 back. And is probably eating a lot more than 1200 calories if she doesn't measure properly or gives herself free-bees (including veggies and fruits maybe).

According 2 the app that is linked to MFP called map my walk, it measures my calories burned and links it 2 MFP by itself, I still alot of times eat for Foo only 1,200 calories. Maybe 100 to 200 more at some times even if my exercise is burned 516 calories, so it's not what I think, it's what the app from MFP says.

You don't know how much you're eating if you're not measuring properly, though. You may think you are eating 1200 cals, but you're not if you're not losing weight.

The general rule is that you burn about 100 cals per mile. How many miles are you walking? I have to walk about 10,000 steps which for me is about 5 miles to burn 500 cals, according to my Fitbit.

I too have a young one, my babe is almost 19 months old. It's really easy to weigh and log though. If you are not willing to get a food scale then it will be very hard to make progress.

100kcal per mile is running. That's a completely different movement than walking. Plus the 100kcal are goss calories. They do include the BMR, the amount that TO would be burning for just existing.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Which she is right.
    The girl ate her 1,200 than excersize thinking she could eat the eat the the excersized off calories minus 200-400 calories and lose weight but that is not true.

Actually it is true. She ate 1200. Burned maybe 100, giving her a net of 1100. She could eat back the 100 to get back to 1200. That's the point - that's how you use MFP as it is intended.

However... she thinks she burned over 500 calories and is eating 100 to 300 back. And is probably eating a lot more than 1200 calories if she doesn't measure properly or gives herself free-bees (including veggies and fruits maybe).

According 2 the app that is linked to MFP called map my walk, it measures my calories burned and links it 2 MFP by itself, I still alot of times eat for Foo only 1,200 calories. Maybe 100 to 200 more at some times even if my exercise is burned 516 calories, so it's not what I think, it's what the app from MFP says.

You don't know how much you're eating if you're not measuring properly, though. You may think you are eating 1200 cals, but you're not if you're not losing weight.

The general rule is that you burn about 100 cals per mile. How many miles are you walking? I have to walk about 10,000 steps which for me is about 5 miles to burn 500 cals, according to my Fitbit.

I too have a young one, my babe is almost 19 months old. It's really easy to weigh and log though. If you are not willing to get a food scale then it will be very hard to make progress.

100kcal per mile is running. That's a completely different movement than walking. Plus the 100kcal are goss calories. They do include the BMR, the amount that TO would be burning for just existing.

For a 188 lb person, walking burns about a hundred cals per mile. Running burns about 138 cals per mile. Just multiple your weight by .57 for walking, and weight by .72 for running to get a rough estimate. So for my weight, it's more like 90 cals for walking per mile and 113 cals per mile for running.

of course, I let my Fitbit do the work :P
  • yirara
    edited May 2016
    Options

Which she is right.

For a 188 lb person, walking burns about a hundred cals per mile. Running burns about 138 cals per mile. Just multiple your weight by .57 for walking, and weight by .72 for running to get a rough estimate. So for my weight, it's more like 90 cals for walking per mile and 113 cals per mile for running.

No, those are the gross calories. For running it's around 0.64 and for walking a tiny 0.3 for net calories, which is what you should be logging. Not 0.57, but 0.3. if you log gross calories then you're counting your BMR into the equation, which MFP gives you already in your daily calorie allowance.
  • Colorscheme
    Options

Which she is right.

No, those are the gross calories. For running it's around 0.64 and for walking a tiny 0.3 for net calories, which is what you should be logging. Not 0.57, but 0.3. if you log gross calories then you're counting your BMR into the equation, which MFP gives you already in your daily calorie allowance.

Well like I said, I use a Fitbit so it does all the work for me. I don't have to calculate anything.
  • yirara
    Options

Which she is right.

Well like I said, I use a Fitbit so it does all the work for me. I don't have to calculate anything.

And you trust it, like you trust the calorie indications per measuring cups on food packages, right?
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Stevo_Ra wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been said before in the thread but how do you know what you are burning with your walk? Are you using a heart rate monitor or just going but what the internet etc says you should lose with your walk. If you are estimating then I'd bet that's the issue, you are probably burning less than you think then eating it.

I agree with this. I only burn about 40/50 calories walking a mile. However, I use the Apple Watch that has a heart rate monitor and it also subtracts the regular calories that I burn just living. According to my Apple Watch, I don't even burn 100 calories a mile running! It's more like 70 or 80 cal/mile for that. It was really eye opening.

I think the MFP calculations and others take into account calories burned just living while working out also. Which is why a lot of them are overestimated because in MFP, you already account for what your body burns just existing.

Edit: looks like someone already said this! Sorry for being repetitive!
  • yirara
    Options
    Apologies if this has been said before in the thread but how do you know what you are burning with your walk? Are you using a heart rate monitor or just going but what the internet etc says you should lose with your walk. If you are estimating then I'd bet that's the issue, you are probably burning less than you think then eating it.

I agree with this. I only burn about 40/50 calories walking a mile. However, I use the Apple Watch that has a heart rate monitor and it also subtracts the regular calories that I burn just living. According to my Apple Watch, I don't even burn 100 calories a mile running! It's more like 70 or 80 cal/mile for that. It was really eye opening.

I think the MFP calculations and others take into account calories burned just living while working out also. Which is why a lot of them are overestimated because in MFP, you already account for what your body burns just existing.

This! I find that my calories when running at 7:50ish minutes per kilometer correspond best to the data base entry of 'Walking, 8 mins per km, very, very brisk pace' here in MFP! That's a huge difference!
    Walking, 8 mins per km, very, very brisk pace for 60 minutes gives me: 360kcal
    Running (jogging), 8 kph (7.5 min per km) for 60 minutes gives me: 457kcal.
    Small difference?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    This thread wins hands down for the largest amount of crappy information shoved into 2 pages.
    Srsly, fml, kwim?

Omg, my thoughts exactly.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

This! I find that my calories when running at 7:50ish minutes per kilometer correspond best to the data base entry of 'Walking, 8 mins per km, very, very brisk pace' here in MFP! That's a huge difference!
    Walking, 8 mins per km, very, very brisk pace for 60 minutes gives me: 360kcal
    Running (jogging), 8 kph (7.5 min per km) for 60 minutes gives me: 457kcal.
    Small difference?

Yes!

Example, here's my run from yesterday.

Total time: 1 hour
    Total distance: 6.43 miles
    Average heart rate: 159 bpm
    Total active calories: 499 calories
    Total calories (including bmr): 575 calories
  • Colorscheme
    Options

Which she is right.

And you trust it, like you trust the calorie indications per measuring cups on food packages, right?

Huh? I weigh my food on a food scale. But yes I do trust my fitbit because I am losing weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

Ok, most.of this I do, I use the recipe builder thing and I do log everything, my fiance says I'm ocd about it. I am not always hungry, so I don't eat all the calories back, I usually only eat cereal 4 breakfast and a glass of oj, for lunch a salad or sandwich, or a sub from subway, I use the barcode mostly for everything and I do make sure it correct. I do have stress and a 1 yr old I deal with. But it has only been 2 weeks so I guess I'm just expecting 2 see results right away.

yes,but a bowl of cereal to you and what the serving size states can be two different things, you will be surprised how little cereal a bowl actually is by weight,and all cereals have different weights for a serving.IF you use a measuring cup,you may end up with 1.5-2 bowls of cereal just in the measuring cup. if you dont weigh it and you log it,you think you are only eating one serving when its actually more,it will add up too and fast. measuring cups aren't accurate,I even weigh my liquids in the measuring cup on the scale to be accurate,and what I think is half a cup is usually more may not be by much but its enough sometimes.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This thread wins hands down for the largest amount of crappy information shoved into 2 pages.
    Srsly, fml, kwim?

Omg, my thoughts exactly.

It's Friday. ...its always a car crash on friday
  • Desire2DoRight
    Desire2DoRight Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Yes, she literally is.
    She thought that if she excersized it off that she could eat more but that is not the case at all.

Wow so happy I read this because I actually was doing the same thing and I'm not losing just maintaining and I weigh my food also and exercise an hour a day
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Which she is right.

The way that MFP is designed, yes, you are supposed to eat back the exercise calories. People say 50-75% of them, because the program tends to overestimate. The reason for eating some of these back is to fuel the workouts and provide the nutrition needed to maintain healthy body functioning. Eating 1200 calories and then working out without eating some of that back, would create a steep deficit that won't be supported long-term.

That's what I thought.

How wonderful that you managed to pull out the correct information from the plethora of misinformation in this thread! Impressive.