Low carb diets

Options
Can someone explain to me why people completely cut carbs out of there diet to loose weight when it's clearly calories in vs calories out that determines weight loss, really don't understand the logic behind it as you constanley feel tired and drained! Any thoughts?

Replies

• blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
  • pinkzhtid
    pinkzhtid Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh right haha thank you
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    pinkzhtid wrote: »
    Oh right haha thank you

:) welcome!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why people completely cut carbs out of there diet to loose weight when it's clearly calories in vs calories out that determines weight loss, really don't understand the logic behind it as you constanley feel tired and drained! Any thoughts?

Because the people on a well formulated ketogenic diet do not feel tired and drained and can enjoy higher fat tasty foods.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pre diabetic and suffering from PCOS were my main reasons to go low carb.

I also have binge eating disorder with my main binge foods being bread, potatos and chips. I can not eat these in moderation. At all. They had to go.

Fat and protein are also very filling for me. I used to pack away 3500cal worth of carb heavy foods a day (on a good day) and fall asleep 2-3 times per day and wake up SO hungry that I would compulsively stumble into the kitchen and down 6 pieces of toast.

I don't get that knawing hunger any longer. I don't crave carbs. My skin is looking fantastic. I'm energetic. My mood is much better. I'm no longer pre diabetic. I don't binge. I don't eat off my kids plates. I stay awake all day!

I've been obese for 18 years and this is the first thing that has ever helped me and still let me eat yummy food.

My periods were so few and far between that it took me EIGHT years to conceive my son. I used to have 3 periods a year. I've had 2 in 10 weeks since MFP and low carb :-)
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out on a low-carb diet, you may feel tired at first while your body shifts from burning carbs (and the resulting sugars) to fat and protein, but after you've been on it for a while, energy is not a big issue.

I generally avoid carbs where I can, getting them as often as possible only from fruits/vegetables. I will occasionally have whole grain bread or pasta, but not on a regular basis.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Eating and diets are a lot like religion to some folks. They often think they've figured everything out and thus know exactly what's best for other people. Low carb diets have a lot going for them and have helped many improve their health.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil, I really don't know why people feel they need to reduce them to barely anything...there really is no need or is it even sustainable?? not for me anyway.

Each to their own but I've seen countless MFP friends on here do low carb, lose all their weight only to pile it back on again...why? well who can go long term without carbs? or who would even want to?

Its all about calories in/out, eating at deficit regardless of how what we eat.

(I've been maintaining my goal weight range effortlessly for 3+ years... eating everything including carbs)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    People can individualize their plan however they want, esp after a doctor's suggestion as in my husband's case.
    When the MD saw his A1C blood work, she told him to lower carbs.
    He has lost a few pounds because he likes eating more fat than he had been.
    And, after two months of this, he is comfortable being selective about which carbs he does eat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Each to their own but I've seen countless MFP friends on here do low carb, lose all their weight only to pile it back on again...why? well who can go long term without carbs? or who would even want to?

~98% of all dieters "pile it back on again" so good luck in your quest for the answer.
  • lusir113
    lusir113 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @KellyLouiseGibson How long did it take you? those are amazing results, I have been looking into low carb type of diet. Did you also eat High fat?
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    if you have hypothyroidism, carbs make it virtually impossible to lose the weight. so doctors will tell them to cut carbs and sometimes to cut them right out altogether depending how the person reacts to the carbs. So, to simply give an answer. Health reasons.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

~98% of all dieters "pile it back on again" so good luck in your quest for the answer.

Agreed with this. It's fighting an uphill battle no matter how you eat.

And many people who love carbs can't see going low carb as a long term solution. But there are plenty of people who eat very low carb or low-ish carbs for very long periods of time. They likely don't have the same kinds of cravings as other people who can't imagine a life without cake or pie (or whatever their carb of choice may be).
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, I'm trying to do a recomp and I find that I can't eat enough protein to sustain the muscle gains AND eat a lot of complex carbs... I'm not allotted enough calories in a day for that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the devil, I really don't know why people feel they need to reduce them to barely anything...there really is no need or is it even sustainable?? not for me anyway.

Its all about calories in/out, eating at deficit regardless of how what we eat.

(I've been maintaining my goal weight range effortlessly for 3+ years... eating everything including carbs)

The key phrase: each to their own.

And the key concept: MOST people regain, regardless of whether they were low carb, counting calories or doing WW SW etc.

I've been at goal weight for nearly 15 years by limiting refined carbs and not calorie counting. My N of one is no different than your N of one.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Because the people on a well formulated ketogenic diet do not feel tired and drained and can enjoy higher fat tasty foods.

This! Heck I'm not even keto, I eat a pretty standard LCHF diet (between 50 and 80 g of carbs per day) and get the benefits of controlled appetite, few cravings, steady energy throughout the day, and tasty, tasty food. All this without counting calories, or even logging much of the time (currently involved in a logging challenge, but normally I don't bother). I've lost 45 lbs this way and kept it off for three years now (outside of a pregnancy, but the baby weight was gone by the time she was 8 months old).

That said, I know that while this way of eating works for me, everyone has to find what works for them. Personally I couldn't envision weighing and measuring and logging every morsel of food for the next 50 years. I can envision eating LCHF for the next 50 years. You have to find what is right for you.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I eat 118-135 (I looked) grams of carbs per day. I do not eat bread, refined grain, sweeteners of any kind, or much processed anything. I feel great and am losing weight. One does not have to chop out a whole macronutrient in order to lose weight and feel good and eat tasty food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I eat 118-135 (I looked) grams of carbs per day. I do not eat bread, refined grain, sweeteners of any kind, or much processed anything. I feel great and am losing weight. One does not have to chop out a whole macronutrient in order to lose weight and feel good and eat tasty food.

Yup. And if you look at diets like Atkins, they keep all the leafy greens etc.