Vegetable rights

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    megan_h26 wrote: »
    I think we do not choose our food based on vegetables or animals rights. We choose to eat less meat just because it is more healthy to stay away from meat and we choose to eat more vegetables because it is more healthy. These are scientifically proven facts.

No "we" don't and no they aren't.
  • megan_h26
    megan_h26 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I think we do not choose our food based on vegetables or animals rights. We choose to eat less meat just because it is more healthy to stay away from meat and we choose to eat more vegetables because it is more healthy. These are scientifically proven facts.

Please explain more.
  • megan_h26
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Scientically proven facts you say? Links to these studies?

Well, I can google it but I have heard it from friends who studied about it. Do you know links to studies which oppose this?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Scientically proven facts you say? Links to these studies?

Well, I can google it but I have heard it from friends who studied about it. Do you know links to studies which oppose this?

The onus is on you!
  • megan_h26
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    that feeling when you are trying to compare plants to sentient creatures who are tortured, kept in horrible conditions their entire life, and then slaughtered.

Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll.gif

I like your idea. That's what the discussion is for. We start a discussion to know about interesting ideas and to learn more.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Who are "we"? I thought the thread was about vegetable rights.
  • megan_h26
    Options
    that feeling when you are trying to compare plants to sentient creatures who are tortured, kept in horrible conditions their entire life, and then slaughtered.

Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll.gif

Then, there is a question, do you eat animals who are neither tortured nor kept in horrible conditions their entire life?
  • megan_h26
    Options

Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll.gif

Then, there is a question, do you eat animals who are neither tortured nor kept in horrible conditions their entire life?

i don't eat meat at all. But if i did, it would only be an animal which i killed with my own hands, in the wild, because i needed it's body to survive. This is talking life or death situation here. And i don't think you can "humanely" take another creatures life. If i were to do it for any reason it would have to be because it came down to me vs. them.

As it stands, this isn't the case. We aren't using all of these animals, we aren't treating them with respect or allowing them atleast to live a happy life, we are literally breeding them to live in the worst conditions and using them as a commodity. This is what i think is wrong. Not to mention the amount of waste created in the meat industry.

Do i hate people who eat meat? No. But i personally will never support an industry which i think is morally wrong. I recognize that these are sentient creatures and that supporting that industry would mean supporting the cruelty and disgusting practices currently related to big farming. Don't even get me started on the environmental effects or potential negative health effects.

The fact of the matter is as it stands there is 0 reason for me to even eat meat considering it is completely unnecessary for me to live a happy, healthy life. It is just too damn easy to NOT eat meat and NOT to support an industry which is *kitten* up majorly with the lives of other living creatures.

Very good. I give you another like. I think we should also talk more about the negative health effects. For example the meat industry puts antibiotics and hormones in chicken.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Please explain more.

You first.

I'm not the one who started this thread and refuses to explain the context when questioned.
  • megan_h26
    Options

Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll.gif

i don't eat meat at all. But if i did, it would only be an animal which i killed with my own hands, in the wild, because i needed it's body to survive. This is talking life or death situation here. And i don't think you can "humanely" take another creatures life. If i were to do it for any reason it would have to be because it came down to me vs. them.

As it stands, this isn't the case. We aren't using all of these animals, we aren't treating them with respect or allowing them atleast to live a happy life, we are literally breeding them to live in the worst conditions and using them as a commodity. This is what i think is wrong. Not to mention the amount of waste created in the meat industry.

Do i hate people who eat meat? No. But i personally will never support an industry which i think is morally wrong. I recognize that these are sentient creatures and that supporting that industry would mean supporting the cruelty and disgusting practices currently related to big farming. Don't even get me started on the environmental effects or potential negative health effects.

The fact of the matter is as it stands there is 0 reason for me to even eat meat considering it is completely unnecessary for me to live a happy, healthy life. It is just too damn easy to NOT eat meat and NOT to support an industry which is *kitten* up majorly with the lives of other living creatures.

Very good. I give you another like. I think we should also talk more about the negative health effects. For example the meat industry puts antibiotics and hormones in chicken.

from the evidence i've seen this is the least of the issues for human health. they must give these animals antibiotics or they'd be killing people as the living conditions and diets provided to these animals causes an incredibly high possibility of bacterial and viral infection.

Mostly, people are over-consuming meat products and eating a diet high in saturated and trans fats. Some are even consuming so much meat they are giving themselves gout.

All in all from the diets and lifestyles i've seen the "healthiest" diets in the world are not vegetarian or vegan diets, but infact diets that are mostly plant based with meat and fish included in smaller portions and only about half of the week. Essentially, i dont think eating meat is unhealthy, but i do think most people on the S.A.D. are over-consuming meats.

Awesome! I totally agree with you about the healthiest diets in the world.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, then is it ethical to eat it?
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/vSW_6F64biU

"Disgustipated" by Tool

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber.
    And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
    And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own Midwest.
    And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
    One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"

And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!
    You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."

And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared,
    "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you!
    Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!"

Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus

This is necessary
    This is necessary
    Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on...

This is necessary
    This is necessary
    Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life...

This is necessary
    This is necessary
    Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on...
    [x3]

This is necessary
    This is necessary
    Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life!

It was daylight when you woke up in your ditch. You looked up at your sky then.
    That made blue be your color. You had your knife there with you too.
    When you stood up there was goo all over your clothes. Your hands were sticky.
    You wiped them on your grass, so now your color was green.
    Oh Lord, why did everything always have to keep changing like this?

You were already getting nervous again. Your head hurt and it rang when you stood up.
    Your head was almost empty. It always hurt you when you woke up like this.
    You crawled up out of your ditch onto your gravel road and began to walk, waiting for the rest of your mind to come back to you.
    You can see the car parked far down the road and you walked toward it.
    "If God is our Father," you thought, "then Satan must be our cousin."
    Why didn't anyone else understand these important things?

You got to your car and tried all the doors. They were locked.
    It was a red car and it was new. There was an expensive leather camera case laying on the seat.
    Out across your field, you could see two tiny people walking by your woods. You began to walk towards them.
    Now red was your color and, of course, those little people out there were yours too
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    "Study coordinator and epidemiologist Nathalie Burkert told The Austrian Times: “We have already distanced ourselves from this claim as it is an incorrect interpretation of our data.

"We did find that vegetarians suffer more from certain conditions like asthma, cancer and mental illnesses than people that eat meat as well, but we cannot say what is the cause and what is the effect"

Amusing how in this article there's an advert for The top 14 superfoods that will help you live to 100 and only 3 of them are meat (1 chicken, 2 fish)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Video, why you post twice???
  • megan_h26
    Options
    "Study coordinator and epidemiologist Nathalie Burkert told The Austrian Times: “We have already distanced ourselves from this claim as it is an incorrect interpretation of our data.

"We did find that vegetarians suffer more from certain conditions like asthma, cancer and mental illnesses than people that eat meat as well, but we cannot say what is the cause and what is the effect"

Amusing how in this article there's an advert for The top 14 superfoods that will help you live to 100 and only 3 of them are meat (1 chicken, 2 fish)

Good point!