Added sugar vs. natural sugars in daily total?

Options

Replies

• chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    From what I remember from school, sugar is sugar regardless of where it comes from.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There are associations between high levels of consumption of some fruits or fruits in general and some specific diseases. The public health message about not limiting fruit is trying to drag consumption up to 1 or 2 servings not promoting 20 a day.

The key is to look for fruit in the research rather than "fruitsandvegetables"

3 servings of fruit need not exceed 50g of sugar.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I think the question here is what happens if you eat the 10 apples and the 10 chocolate bars.

Anyway, track sugar (or anything) if you want data points on how much sugar you are consuming, if you don't want those data points don't track them, it's not really worth fretting over.

I personally don't, because I know my overall diet falls well within the accepted limits for sugars.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    From what I remember from school, sugar is sugar regardless of where it comes from.

It is. The reason for the various sugar limits ISN'T that sugar itself is an issue, which is why they usually don't bother with intrinsic sugar. It's the association with high cal/low nutrient foods when people eat lots of added sugar.

That's why focusing on the number seems much less important than understanding your overall diet.
  • mrschikin
    mrschikin Posts: 45 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    And the guys told you that it's pretty much impossible to get excess sugar if you're restricting calories and even have the slightest idea of what a healthy diet looks like.

Not true, actually. There is a huge amount of added sugar in even so-called "healthy" foods. I recommend everyone watch a documentary called "That Sugar Film" to see how you can eat a supposedly healthy, calorie-restricted diet that is still amazingly high in sugar and has negative health effects.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    mrschikin wrote: »
    And the guys told you that it's pretty much impossible to get excess sugar if you're restricting calories and even have the slightest idea of what a healthy diet looks like.

Not true, actually. There is a huge amount of added sugar in even so-called "healthy" foods. I recommend everyone watch a documentary called "That Sugar Film" to see how you can eat a supposedly healthy, calorie-restricted diet that is still amazingly high in sugar and has negative health effects.

That's a piece of propaganda, not a documentary. There's no huge amounts in so-called "healthy" foods. Kinda hard to get added sugar into a whole food which is probably the only things everyone can agree on are "healthy" in normal amounts.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2015/08/that_sugar_film_science_debunking_links_to_mood_health_fatty_liver_disease.html
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    mostein wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I don't worry about my sugar intake. Unless you have medical reason don't worry about it.

No offense, but this isn't very good advice. Most people consume way too much sugar. If the sugar comes from 10 chocolate bars or 20 apples it is still excessive. You may not have a medical reason to worry about it now but if you continue to eat it in excess you will develop one.

What medical reasons are caused* by over consumption of sugar?

You're free to look at my diary and tell me how soon I'm going to die because I eat "too much" sugar. My limit is 74 grams.

*Caused meaning sugar is the sole contributor to that disease.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    mostein wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I don't worry about my sugar intake. Unless you have medical reason don't worry about it.

No offense, but this isn't very good advice. Most people consume way too much sugar. If the sugar comes from 10 chocolate bars or 20 apples it is still excessive. You may not have a medical reason to worry about it now but if you continue to eat it in excess you will develop one.

What medical reasons are caused* by over consumption of sugar?

You're free to look at my diary and tell me how soon I'm going to die because I eat "too much" sugar. My limit is 74 grams.

*Caused meaning sugar is the sole contributor to that disease.

+1
  • J72FIT
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    flotsette wrote: »
    Sugar is a health issue for everyone. It's just not well known.

Sugar from unrefined sources like fruit is processed very differently in real life than added sugar. That's because nobody eats 20 apples. But it's easy to eat the equivalent in baked goods or candy.

Sugar is processed in the same manor regardless of sugar. Fructose is fructose regardless if its from hfcs or fruit. The difference is the vitamins, minerals and fiber. Other variables that must be taken into consideration is what else is it being eaten with (fats, proteins).

Sugar isnt the issue, the issue is the diet as a whole.

And also the dieter. If a person has a problem with sugar, it's not the sugar that's the issue, it's the dieter. There are probably underlying issues that need to be addressed, IMO...
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Sugar from unrefined sources like fruit is processed very differently in real life than added sugar. That's because nobody eats 20 apples. But it's easy to eat the equivalent in baked goods or candy.

Sugar is processed in the same manor regardless of sugar. Fructose is fructose regardless if its from hfcs or fruit. The difference is the vitamins, minerals and fiber. Other variables that must be taken into consideration is what else is it being eaten with (fats, proteins).

Well that and it's a lot harder to overdue the sugar eating fruit and vegetables. A bottle of soda has 52g of sugar or 35g in a chocolate bar versus 19g of sugar in an extra large banana.
  • J72FIT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Well that and it's a lot harder to overdue the sugar eating fruit and vegetables. A bottle of soda has 52g of sugar or 35g in a chocolate bar versus 19g of sugar in an extra large banana.

Swap out the word sugar for calories.
    Which is exactly why a diet of mostly whole foods is a great tool for fat loss, it has nothing to do with sugar and everything to do with total calories...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Its a lot easier to over indulge on fat that anything else. More than 2x the calories. But it doesnt make fat bad.

Again, dietary context matters... not one or two pieces of it. If you over indulge on sugar or fat or whatever, you are taking away from having an overall good diet.

I eat over 100g of sugar daily... 95% of it is from fruit. So do i have a bad diet? No. I still have a variety of foods. I get 150g of protein and 80g of fats. Most of my fats are unsaturated and i get 20g+ of fiber.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

I'm not sure the science is settled on that point yet.
    Its a lot easier to over indulge on fat that anything else. More than 2x the calories.

Yes, that's what they say but that isn't my experience -- there's only so much fat I want to eat. :) Regardless, I think that most agree context matters and a calorie appropriate diet of primarily whole foods is healthful.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

The foods he identified as "healthy" often weren't or, more accurately, the manner in which he consumed them was not consistent with any sensible idea of a healthy diet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

I'm not sure the science is settled on that point yet.
    Its a lot easier to over indulge on fat that anything else. More than 2x the calories.

Yes, that's what they say but that isn't my experience -- there's only so much fat I want to eat. :) Regardless, I think that most agree context matters and a calorie appropriate diet of primarily whole foods is healthful.

Our experiences are significantly different. I can eat fat in huge quantities and never fill full. I need to eat 2x as much for fatty cuts of meat. So when i cut weight, fat is the first to go.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Someone said the body needs sugar, and stated it as a fact - that's wrong, and potentially dangerous.
    What are the causes of obesity diseases? A high resistance to insulin. You continue to abuse sugar and you will succumb to diabetes and other metabolic issues. I have a mate, he's a relatively slim lad. At 22 he was diagnosed with diabetes. He was eating a 'healthy diet'.
    I don't track sugar, but I don't eat much in the way of fruit and I definitely don't eat low fat products.
    By the way, there are plenty of publications on sugar in the diet and what it does.
    Have a search for Aseem Malhotra.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Your assertion that continued "abuse" of sugar will lead to diabetes and the example of your friend getting diabetes while eating a "healthy" diet are incongruent.
    If sugar is what causes diabetes then why did he get it?

Hint: sugar is not what causes diabetes.
    Top culprits from what we understand are genetics and obesity.
    Your friend had bad genes.