I Thought Everything Was Okay? What Would You Do From Here?

Options
neldabg
neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
I live alone except during breaks from university, so I often "forget" that I've lost almost 60lbs, until I go back home. What words of advice, or any words at all, would you say after reading about my situation?
During winter break, my parents seemed happy about my loss after I explained to them that I was losing healthily and let them see my workout/health portfolio, though they disapproved of my goal weight of 110lbs (I'm 5'2" on a good day).
However, based on their words and actions this past week, and an event today, I suspect that my parents never really did think I'd stick to my plan for a new lifestyle, which they still call a diet, and though they never said a word to me personally, they're still concerned, I think.
They invited over a relative, who, after a long talk with my mom, sat down to tell me that after my weight loss, I look 15 instead of 20 (he said it WASN'T a compliment), and that people who've known me to be obese before think I'm sick and/or that my parents are starving me. He said that my sister, who is 18, looks like the older sister now and strongly hinted that I gain weight to make people stop gossiping and judging my parents. He said he was just concerned, and he spoke in a nonconfrontational tone, but I know how my parents are, and I think he expressed what it is they're feeling.
Honestly, I feel very hurt. I feel comfortable at with my 20 BMI goal range, and I'm NOT changing my weight to please others, but it does pain me to know that people are judging my parents so cruelly and that people, including parents, see me as a weakling. A sick and weak child. And it hurts.
I noticed that if anything heavy needs to be lifted, my parents look right past me to other family members for help. If I make plans to work part-time while taking summer classes, they think it's too much for me, but not anyone else, etc etc. Apparently, I'm too sick and weak to do anything, yet this is a time in life where I've never been nor felt so strong and fit and excited for life.
Before, they didn't treat me that way, and I don't really know how to go from here.
How many other people are going behind my back to gossip about me being sick and starved?

Replies

• NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Are you a male or female? Are you parents and sister overweight themselves? Do you come from a culture where people are generally overweight? What do you weigh currently? Has a doctor- or anyone other than your family- ever told you that you look too thin or that you may be overdoing it? If you're a female- do you still get normal cycles?
  • neldabg
    Options
    I think it just takes time for people to adjust to new look. I found the same thing in past the last time I lost weight, people kept telling me to stop that I looked too skinny etc even though I was still medically overweight. They just were so used to seeing me as a big person that to them I looked sick just because i looked very different than they were used to. People get over it with time once they have adjusted to your new look.
    hzl22 wrote: »
    I would just let them gossip and go about your business. You are doing great and you have nothing to prove to anyone (including your parents) just follow your dreams and goals and let the world roll ..
    suelegal wrote: »
    You aren't going to change their minds. Keep doing what is good and healthy for you and eventually they will stop. Or maybe they won't but you still have to do what's good for you! Keep up the good work!!
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I'm really just stunned by this. What kind of people....???? Sigh.

Thank you so much for the kind words and reminders! I really needed the encouragement. I'll stay focused as best as I can. :)

• neldabg
    Options
    Are you a male or female? Are you parents and sister overweight themselves? Do you come from a culture where people are generally overweight? What do you weigh currently? Has a doctor- or anyone other than your family- ever told you that you look too thin or that you may be overdoing it? If you're a female- do you still get normal cycles?

1) Female
    2) My mom is obese (II) and has been all her life. My did is mildly overweight. My little sister generally stays on the high end of the healthy BMI range, though she did gain a little bit during her first year in college.
    3) YES. Especially within my own family, the women tend to be quite large.
    4) I'm not too sure actually. I've been holding steady at 109-110 lbs these past few weeks, then I saw a drop to 105.6, and then back up to 108 then to 110lbs again? I'm thinking that my scale needs new batteries.
    5) No.
    6) Yes.
    If it was ME and my family treated me that way, I would tell them nicely I appreciate their concerns but I'm a grown adult, not a child and expect to be treated as such. People who talk poorly of others only make themselves look bad. It really isn't anyones business about your weight except for yourself , drs and who you feel like sharing that info with. I bet your parents and this concerned relative aren't licensed doctors either. I'd just keep doing what your doing and only be concerned with what your Dr says.
    Thank you! You're right. None are licensed doctors.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Just do you. You are doing your best to be healthy and fit. It's quite possible that other people are projecting their own insecurities onto you. You know you are strong, happy and healthy, so don't let other people's feelings weigh you down. It's your body.
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Start lifting. You can gain a bit of muscle weight and look like you weigh less.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    PS: I don't think lots of people are gossiping behind your back. I think only your parents are, and possibly only your mother.
  • neldabg
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You are 20 years old not a child. You do not live at home except for breaks. The world should see you by now as responsible for taking care of your own body for better or worse not your parents.
    I'd say they are really thinking you make them look bad as in they look fatter and more unhealthy next to you. That makes them uncomfortable.
    If your parents are worried about your health tell them you are at a healthy weight for your height and are not sick or weak at all. Tell them your doctor is pleased with your weight. You are in much better shape than you were I bet.
    Invite them to join you in a workout and show them how not weak and sick you are.
    Ultimately I would tell them they need to accept that this is your body and what is right for you.

As yesterday was Mother's Day here in the U.S, I didn't want to confront either parent, but I'm making note of your tips for the next time the conversation comes up. Thank you so much!! ^_^
    pbprincess wrote: »
    Just do you. You are doing your best to be healthy and fit. It's quite possible that other people are projecting their own insecurities onto you. You know you are strong, happy and healthy, so don't let other people's feelings weigh you down. It's your body.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! :)
    rawley69 wrote: »
    Start lifting. You can gain a bit of muscle weight and look like you weigh less.

Ah yes. That is certainly good advice. Thanks. ^^ I began a weight lifting routine in March this year, but it wasn't the best. Since last week, however, I've been following a more structured, goal-oriented routine, and I can't wait to see how I look a year from now.
    I have had this from a friend recently and my mum and it upset me but after speaking to other people I am of the mindset that as long as I'm happy, healthy,upping the calories and trying to maintain then that's all that matters.
    I worked so hard to lose my weight and I will not let people bring me down

Good for you! You're right! As long as we *know* we're taking care of ourselves, we've no reason to let others ruin our success and happiness. Thank you for the reply. :)
    Thanks for clarifying. Sounds to me as if you are going for HEALTHY & not anorexic. If you are feeling good & looking good & w/in the normal BMI range, I would consider stopping there rather than trying to reach an arbitrary fat percentage number.

As to your family- if this is an ingrained cultural thing, it's going to be very difficult. I think that the stronger and clearer you are- and the less you react to them, the more they will finally leave you alone. You can just say, "thank you for your concern. My doctor says I'm at the perfect weight".

Okay. I'm making note of everything you've written. Thanks a bunch! ^^
    Crabs in a bucket. Or, alternatively, I'm going to tell you a story that I heard just yesterday. There was once a little monkey who loved catching fish from the river and putting them up in the trees. He would do it all day long, until finally one day a friend of his asked why he spent his time putting fish in trees. His answer? "I want to save them from drowning!"

People might have your best interests at heart, but that does not mean they know what's best for you. Watch out for both the crabs and the little monkeys.
    PS: I don't think lots of people are gossiping behind your back. I think only your parents are, and possibly only your mother.

Oh wow. I REALLY like that analogy. I'll be sure to remember it, and thanks. I really hope so.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing just great and gave a fantastic mindset 'I'm not gaining weight for anyone'. It sounds as though your family are upset that you lost the weight and they didn't. You did all the hard work. If your doctor tells you that you're well and you feel okay and well, then others shouldn't matter. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would have let him know that the issue is people making stupid judgements, not the weight loss, and that he needs to be having this discussion with the appropriate parties. You can also let him know that you have the rest of your life to look 20+, another year looking 15 isn't going to hurt anyone.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If this keeps up and continues to bother you, go to your doctor and get a certificate saying that in his opinion you are healthy. Wave it under anyone's nose if they stick it in your business.
  • neldabg
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think you're doing just great and gave a fantastic mindset 'I'm not gaining weight for anyone'. It sounds as though your family are upset that you lost the weight and they didn't. You did all the hard work. If your doctor tells you that you're well and you feel okay and well, then others shouldn't matter. Congrats on the weight loss!
    I would have let him know that the issue is people making stupid judgements, not the weight loss, and that he needs to be having this discussion with the appropriate parties. You can also let him know that you have the rest of your life to look 20+, another year looking 15 isn't going to hurt anyone.
    If this keeps up and continues to bother you, go to your doctor and get a certificate saying that in his opinion you are healthy. Wave it under anyone's nose if they stick it in your business.

Thank you all! :) I might just do that, snowflake954!