Theres ALWAYS chocolate in the office!!!

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    It's nurses week this week and tonight when I came into work there were donuts in the break room and tomorrow night there will be pizza, all provided by the hospital for us night shifters. I looked at the donuts, shrugged and moved on. I will do the same for the pizza.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    They are not foods, they are products.

Love that so much.

My office has this happen occasionally - if something is around for a day, and everyone has had their opportunity...I toss it. I find often people are bringing in non-food edible items because they don't want them in their house or the items are approaching the "best used by" date. I guess it's a way to unload unwanted stuff on their unsuspecting co-workers. So far nobody has complained when the junk food disappears.

I would totally grab that free fruit, every day, especially if it's going to waste! Give it to the homeless you see on the way to and from work, or get an Oriole bird feeder if you live in Oriole habitat. They love fruit.

Man, I'm glad we don't work together. I make treats work by footing a small portion into my day. I'm fully capable of doing that several days in a row.

Is it some sense of superiority, or do you just fell you know what is best for your coworker and you realize they are incapable of making their own decision? It must make doing any kind of work difficult too, if you are the only one in the entire office who can make a decision.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My office has this happen occasionally - if something is around for a day, and everyone has had their opportunity...I toss it. I find often people are bringing in non-food edible items because they don't want them in their house or the items are approaching the "best used by" date. I guess it's a way to unload unwanted stuff on their unsuspecting co-workers. So far nobody has complained when the junk food disappears.

Just curious as to what "Non-food edible items" are?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Underwear?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Underwear?

Pharmaceuticals
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Underwear?

Pharmaceuticals

Violets and dandylion greens.
  • Stevo_Ra
    Stevo_Ra Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My company had a mouse problem and cracked down on cakes and sweets and food (products :) being left out in the open. Not sure how this helps you, so just an observation. :)

In my head you were talking about a computer mouse I was trying to figure the connection with food!!!!!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Bread
    Apples
    Very small rocks
    Cider
    Grape gravy
    Cherries
    Mud
    A Duck!
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Numerous lessons learned here.....
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm on CICO so the mental thought that I Can Not, Must Not, Will Not, Should Not or just did grab a little candy from the candy bowl that always has chocolate doesn't occur to me. The candy bowl is there by the front door. I walk past it several times a day. Do I need it in my food plan? No. Will it fit my plan? Maybe. Is it forbidden? No. In all nutritional seriousness, one trying to keep their total calories low enough to lose weight safely can plan and enjoy the consumption of some chocolate. If your plan is keto, take the 25 or so carbs from a mini Snickers and avoid all other carbs in the day. Is that really something you'll enjoy?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Also, since I've begun to avoid the office junk food, and lose weight, several of my co-workers have joined me in avoiding the office junk and trying to lose weight, and the office junk food purchaser has started purchasing a greater variety of quite acceptable food items to supply the kitchen.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put my hand up and say it, I'm a food unloader.

If someone brings me a box of chocolates when they come for dinner, I take it to the office to share. I don't want to eat it myself so I take it in to work where people will eat it with their lunch or with a cup of tea. Does this make me a bad person? I see it as not wasting food by throwing it out at home and my colleagues mostly get excited and say thanks.... I figure if people don't want to eat it, they won't eat it. It's not like I stand over anyone saying "consume these calories right now!".

We are all grown ups and everyone is accountable for their own choices.

+1 on this.
  • bradcfairchild
    bradcfairchild Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Me Too (Lessons learn). I like the jokes, the wisdom and the differing opinions, shared about real problems.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    They are not foods, they are products.

Love that so much.

I would totally grab that free fruit, every day, especially if it's going to waste! Give it to the homeless you see on the way to and from work, or get an Oriole bird feeder if you live in Oriole habitat. They love fruit.

Man, I'm glad we don't work together. I make treats work by footing a small portion into my day. I'm fully capable of doing that several days in a row.

Is it some sense of superiority, or do you just fell you know what is best for your coworker and you realize they are incapable of making their own decision? It must make doing any kind of work difficult too, if you are the only one in the entire office who can make a decision.

No kidding....
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put my hand up and say it, I'm a food unloader.

If someone brings me a box of chocolates when they come for dinner, I take it to the office to share. I don't want to eat it myself so I take it in to work where people will eat it with their lunch or with a cup of tea. Does this make me a bad person? I see it as not wasting food by throwing it out at home and my colleagues mostly get excited and say thanks.... I figure if people don't want to eat it, they won't eat it. It's not like I stand over anyone saying "consume these calories right now!".

We are all grown ups and everyone is accountable for their own choices.

We just fired a guy whose only real contribution was polishing off the sweets the rest of us would have polished off ourselves. We have a new part time worker. We had some peanut butter cups in the office and I asked if she'd had some. She said she'd already had some chocolate that day and I said, a little too seriously, "I'm gonna need you to start eating more".

So you're good. :p
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I allow myself small treats. Fewer than I used to have before I was counting calories, but enough to keep me from going nuts. That makes avoiding the full-size donuts that are often in the office easier for me.

I also have become a total snob about sweets. I like baking my own, and finding good bakeries and candy shops. So I can just look at the Dunkin Donuts and think, not worth the calories, since they're not (fancy donut shop) donuts.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    We just fired a guy whose only real contribution was polishing off the sweets the rest of us would have polished off ourselves. We have a new part time worker. We had some peanut butter cups in the office and I asked if she'd had some. She said she'd already had some chocolate that day and I said, a little too seriously, "I'm gonna need you to start eating more".

So you're good. :p

Hahaha! See there is a difference between offering something, making jokes and then full on food harassment. I've got a very dear friend who was constantly harassed by a co-worked when she knew full well my friend was losing weight. We are talking to the point where she stood over my friend and told her to eat a cream cake while she watched. Some people are just *kitten*.