walking

Replies

• Hudrator
    Hudrator Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2016
    i did, i only walk or nordic walk (cant run yet, too heavy) - works perfect - i have favorite routes i love, never boring :) and dont worry Nordic walking or walking over 5km/h has very good effect on burning fat.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Clean eating is really all that's needed. Walking is just a bonus. But, yes i've lost quite a bit of weight just walking alot. I live where the suburbs meet the country and i really just do it for the scenery.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    srecupid wrote: »
    Clean eating is really all that's needed. Walking is just a bonus. But, yes i've lost quite a bit of weight just walking alot. I live where the suburbs meet the country and i really just do it for the scenery.

"Clean eating" is irrelevant to weight loss. It's the calorie deficit that will do it.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I eat 1800 calories and walk 7-8 miles a day and I have seen steady weight loss. Walking is pretty much my only form of exercise. I started at 185 and now I'm 166 so it has definitely helped me.
  • asmitty1992
    asmitty1992 Posts: 71 Member
    if question marks offend you, then maybe you should stay off of my post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I'm not offended, just yanking your chain a bit. I'll make up for it with an answer to your question.

The reason people were telling you walking is a waste of time is because they're not being precise. Their intended meaning has to do with the rate of a particular exercise's calorie burn. Compared to, say, running or swimming, walking may take two or three times as long to burn the same number of calories. Some may observe that and feel the extra time needed to walk off the same number of calories is a waste. It's not a waste; it just takes longer than some alternatives. The good news is that even small amounts of time and effort spent walking can build up to meaningful changes.

Here's a personal example. In 2015 my goal was to average 10,000 steps a day. I actually averaged 11,000 per day over the whole year, and in my case I think 50 calories burned per 1,000 steps is reasonable (for others, that value may be a bit higher or lower). An extra 50 calories burned per day, for 365 days, is an extra 18,250 calories burned, or 5 pounds lost. Earth shattering stuff? No, but I'm sitting here 5 pounds lighter than I would have been had I not walked a few extra minutes per day over my goal. I wouldn't call that time wasted.

Mhm.
  • Lana4639
    Lana4639 Posts: 44 Member
    When I was 260+lbs all I could do was walk and for me it certainly wasn't a waste of time. Eventually I began doing fitness blender videos (which were and still are awesome), c25k, Jillian Michaels dvds, then beachbody workouts. In summary walking is my favorite activity.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

"Clean eating" is irrelevant to weight loss. It's the calorie deficit that will do it.

^ Exactly. One can eat the "cleanest" diet in the world and still gain weight if they're not in a caloric deficit. One could eat a diet comprised entirely of "junk food" and still lose weight as long as they're in a caloric deficit.

Walking burns calories, hence it can help create a caloric deficit. But if you're taking in more calories than you're burning (caloric surplus), you'll gain weight whether you're walking (or running, or bicycling, or lifting weights, etc.) or not. Conversely, if you're burning more calories than you're taking in (caloric deficit), you'll lose weight whether you're walking (or running, or bicycling, or lifting weights, etc.) or not.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    ...Is walking a waste of time???????
    Not by a long shot. Walking is how I've started back on my way to fitness.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Walking is never a waste of time, it's just not going to give you the same results as spending that time weight lifting would. I spent the entire month of January walking 4-5 miles a day on my treadmill while watching Netflix (Usually between 1-2 hours/day). That was probably a waste of time, because I could have done so many other things. I wasn't achieving what I wanted spending that time walking. In February I stopped walking and started Stronglifts. But now that the weather is nicer (and even when it's not), I'm getting outdoors with my kids or my dog and taking walks again. Not to lose weight or even to burn extra calories, but because it's good for us. Fresh air, time to think, or listen to music. Burn off some energy for my 140-ish pound Great Dane! All good reasons to walk, but burning calories isn't on that list.
  • asmitty1992
    edited May 2016
    Thanks everyone who gave me forward answers instead of being offended by my punctuation.

Please, no one cares about your punctuation. What is annoying is YOU trying to preemptively police the advice or post you want by implied inference.
    You cannot control the advice you'll receive on a public message forum be it positive or negative.

However, your starting off with a no negative feedback warning "I do not need negative comments " started your thread off negative.
    I am 28 pounds down from just clean eating. I am now adding exercise. I want to lift a few days and add some cardio videos the rest. I do not want the gym. I want to start walking and have had many people tell me it's a waste of time?

• asmitty1992
    Thanks everyone who gave me forward answers instead of being offended by my punctuation.

Please, no one cares about your punctuation. What is annoying is YOU trying to preemptively police the advice or post you want by implied inference.
    You cannot control the advice you'll receive on a public message forum be it positive or negative.

However, your starting off with a no negative feedback warning "I do not need negative comments " started your thread off negative.
    I am 28 pounds down from just clean eating. I am now adding exercise. I want to lift a few days and add some cardio videos the rest. I do not want the gym. I want to start walking and have had many people tell me it's a waste of time?

This as an initial post would have welcomed a greater chance of positive feedback.

i actually had great feedback from all but two. You and another. You didn't answer my question not stated that you lost weight from walking? So why are you even on here wasting your time? Good day Troll.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    I was losing about one pound per week with a calorie deficit plus running 3 days per week and exercise videos for strength training..... Then I decided to add walking every day - 10,000 purposeful exercise steps- and suddenly I was losing nearly two pounds per week. It made a big difference for me.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Anything that gets you up and moving is good for you. A good, brisk walk will do more good than a lazy stroll, but even a lazy stroll burns more than sitting on the couch. If you're doing brisk walking, that IS your cardio (you can get your heart rate up considerably by doing a brisk walk). If you're watching your calories, walking regularly, and doing strength training, the weight should come off (actually, the strength training is what's taken the inches off of me faster than anything). That's a great combination to create a calorie deficit, strengthen your heart, and maintain muscle mass. Just remember, the number on the scale may not change as fast as you'd like, so make sure you measure yourself and take some "before" photos.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member

I was eating very clean but in high quantities and here I am with an "obese" BMI and a lot to lose. Eating too much of anything will make you fat.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    To the OP, walking is my primary exercise. I'm hitting the treadmill pretty hard at the gym, but if you're just talking casual walks, it is still better than no exercise. It is ridiculous for anyone to call it a waste of time.