Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »
    mindpump1 wrote:
    But why not take advantage of food that will provide great health benefits? Sure you CAN eat junk food and lose weight....but why would you want to put that into your body? Diversify your foods and eat a variety of foods. Eating with more variety will give you diverse gut floras and in turn help with fat loss, and better athletic performance.

Yeah, of course. But it seems a waste just having 2 tablespoons of coconut oil when you can have something more substantial and satisfying with equal amounts of 'health' benefits.

I can see the "satisfying" part coming into the equation. You want to feel like you actually ate something after your done, I understand. For me, I have been eating Keto for the past 2 months, so I consume a diet high in fat, and one of those is coconut oil. Honestly, I don't have that "satisfying" feeling anymore, because along with Keto, I fast, and I have taught myself that I don't live to eat. Every person is different, so it really comes down to ultimately what else are they consuming throughout the day, and are they willing to sacrifice something for those 2 tablespoons, or are they going to just add them to the 1200 calories?

I see where you're coming from as you're a Keto-er. But, think of it this way. Would you rather eat 240 calories of plain coconut oil, or two eggs and avocado? Now, which do you think the general population (non-keto) would find more satisfying? Likely the latter.

Losing weight is plain hard for many, and feeling satisfied in the beginning is extremely important for them to stay on the right track.

I'm all for eating 2 eggs and an avocado. I do that often. I would actually cook my eggs and avocado IN coconut oil! I usually don't pay to much attention to the amount of calories that it adds, because I know I will generally burn them off when I head to the gym and lift. For those who do not lift, and need to track, I would recommend tracking. Cooking in coconut oil is better then butter/vegetable oils so that is an alternative too.

I would questions this. Especially considering coconut oil is a saturated fat based oil vs olive oil which is a unsaturated fat based oil.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I prefer butter and vegetable oils. I do use coconut for eggs though. And it is a fantastic skin moisturizer for me.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I prefer butter and vegetable oils. I do use coconut for eggs though. And it is a fantastic skin moisturizer for me.

Great advice!
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    mindpump1 wrote:
    But why not take advantage of food that will provide great health benefits? Sure you CAN eat junk food and lose weight....but why would you want to put that into your body? Diversify your foods and eat a variety of foods. Eating with more variety will give you diverse gut floras and in turn help with fat loss, and better athletic performance.

Yeah, of course. But it seems a waste just having 2 tablespoons of coconut oil when you can have something more substantial and satisfying with equal amounts of 'health' benefits.

I can see the "satisfying" part coming into the equation. You want to feel like you actually ate something after your done, I understand. For me, I have been eating Keto for the past 2 months, so I consume a diet high in fat, and one of those is coconut oil. Honestly, I don't have that "satisfying" feeling anymore, because along with Keto, I fast, and I have taught myself that I don't live to eat. Every person is different, so it really comes down to ultimately what else are they consuming throughout the day, and are they willing to sacrifice something for those 2 tablespoons, or are they going to just add them to the 1200 calories?

I see where you're coming from as you're a Keto-er. But, think of it this way. Would you rather eat 240 calories of plain coconut oil, or two eggs and avocado? Now, which do you think the general population (non-keto) would find more satisfying? Likely the latter.

Losing weight is plain hard for many, and feeling satisfied in the beginning is extremely important for them to stay on the right track.

I'm all for eating 2 eggs and an avocado. I do that often. I would actually cook my eggs and avocado IN coconut oil! I usually don't pay to much attention to the amount of calories that it adds, because I know I will generally burn them off when I head to the gym and lift. For those who do not lift, and need to track, I would recommend tracking. Cooking in coconut oil is better then butter/vegetable oils so that is an alternative too.

I would questions this. Especially considering coconut oil is a saturated fat based oil vs olive oil which is a unsaturated fat based oil.

Are you still holding on to the idea that saturated fat is bad for you?
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    mindpump1 wrote:

Are you still holding on to the idea that saturated fat is bad for you?

I am holding onto the idea and backed science that suggest unsaturated fats are better for you than saturated fats (especially considering unsaturated fats have been linked to lowering cholesterol). And still awaiting scientific proof to suggest otherwise. But I am not scare of saturated fats, at least from natural sources such as dairy and red meats. But suggesting coconut oil is healthier is questionable at best.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat is great. There are types of cholesterol. High & low density. The only fat I'd stay away from is trans.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Saturated fat is great. There are types of cholesterol. High & low density. The only fat I'd stay away from is trans.

This...yet I still prefer butter and veg or olive oil most of the time.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Waste of calories in my opinion. I could have half a block of tofu for fewer calories than two tbsp. of coconut oil.
  • psuLemon
    Options

This...yet I still prefer butter and veg or olive oil most of the time.

This is what I do.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I want to start a diet comprisibg of 2 tbsp of coconut oil...but will stay around 1200 calories...will i still loose weight

You didn't give much information and I am not a mind reader but I will say that although coconut oil is great it has zero magical weight loss abilities.

Weight loss is all about calories burned and calories consumed.
  • pallavishani
    pallavishani Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are we talking about straight up eating tablespoons of coconut oil or are we talking about using it in a recipe or to cook something (e.g., I use coconut oil in the pan when I make scrambled eggs)?

Straight eating coconut oil
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are we talking about straight up eating tablespoons of coconut oil or are we talking about using it in a recipe or to cook something (e.g., I use coconut oil in the pan when I make scrambled eggs)?

Straight eating coconut oil

Do you . . . like this? I like coconut oil as an ingredient, but I can't imagine it being tasty or satisfying all by itself.

If you like it, just log the calories.
  • pallavishani
    pallavishani Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's good in coffee, with cream. Delicious.

Can i add in cappuchinos
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Wait so rubbing coconut oil on my body will give me Hornsby-pecs? Sold.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If I was only going to eat 1200 calories, I don't think I would "waste" 240 of them on 2 Tbsp of coconut oil. I love coconut oil and use it regularly but never seen any need to eat or use 2 Tbsps of the stuff.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Please send me 19.95 and your credit card information for more magic...

*Disclaimer: I don't actually sell anything (for the mods) :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Please send me 19.95 and your credit card information for more magic...

*Disclaimer: I don't actually sell anything (for the mods) :)

Im-watching-you-GIF.gif?gs=a

Op, you can add it to your coffee but it doesnt automatically make you a healthier person. The value of all things coconut is blown out of proportion.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Let me know if you have any hard to reach places. I'm happy to help a friend avoid dry skin.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

This
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP, I think you had a couple of threads on this topic today, so maybe I missed it, but did you ever say how or why you thought these 2 Tbsp of Coconut Oil would help you achieve your goals? You said in the other thread you were going to add it to water, so it isn't that you are cooking food in it which is a common use for coconut oil.