NYT Ain't Got Nothing on Us: Maintainers Roll Call!

Options
1235»

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Four years of maintenance. Still in that 5 pound zone. I'm 55, lost 38 pounds, and have been maintaining at my college weight. And am in the National Weight Loss Study of people who successfull maintain (you should join too). What they do not say is that the research says that 65% people who lose a lot of weight gain it back. But that means 35% of us do. Those are the one who keep logging (or the equivalent), exercise 5 days a week (I just walk), and don't limit their diets - they eat what they want but hit their calorie goals. Go us!

Yay, glad to see another participant in the NWCR :#
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    "Therefore, long-term weight loss requires vigilant combat against persistent metabolic adaptation that acts to proportionally counter ongoing efforts to reduce body weight."

Oh well. No big deal, just keep doing what you need to do to stay vigilant. Weigh yourself regularly, keep logging (if you need to), and keep logging in to MFP!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I started about 12 years ago, lost some weight, stayed put for awhile and then lost some more. I would say it's been 7-8 years that I've been maintaining a 100 pounds loss. To say my life changed is an understatement. Two weeks ago I ran my fifth marathon but this time I set a goal to qualify for Boston and I did :D In a few months I'll run my sixth and attempt to better my time. When I think back to where I was all those years ago compared to where I am I don't even recognize that person! My idea of exercise was walking to the mailbox, how times have changed LOL People need to know it can be done! I still have my struggles with food and probably always will but that doesn't make me weak, just human!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Been maintaining since September but it feels like my fitness journey is far from over. I've put on a lot of muscle and changed my range up two pounds a couple of months ago. Still less than a year, but a great portion of my life has transformed. I still count calories, measure food, and exercise (body weight strength training) 5x a week. Never going back. :smiley:

SW: 133 pounds
    GW: 110 (original)
    GW: 105 (revised)
    Lowest: 102
    Current: 106.8
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone, loving all of the responses so far! It's great to see how we're all so different-ages, guys/girls, weight loss histories, medical histories, etc etc. This really shows that no matter who you are, you CAN be successful not only at long term weight loss, but also better health!

• fkwan
    fkwan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure out "maintenance" after a 35 pound weight loss last August. 60 years old and hypothyroid. BMR is about 1100 and TDEE is about 1300. I plan on logging my food every day until I die, and using a Fitbit/heart rate monitor ditto. Weight so far has varied nicely in the 1-3 pound range. I had some orthopedic surgery and plan on more, so know to lower the calories to compensate for no exercise. So far so good....
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Four years of maintenance. Still in that 5 pound zone. I'm 55, lost 38 pounds, and have been maintaining at my college weight. And am in the National Weight Loss Study of people who successfull maintain (you should join too). What they do not say is that the research says that 65% people who lose a lot of weight gain it back. But that means 35% of us do. Those are the one who keep logging (or the equivalent), exercise 5 days a week (I just walk), and don't limit their diets - they eat what they want but hit their calorie goals. Go us!

I've been part of the study for years! I hope that my story will help others in the future :)