Meals to lose belly fat

Options

Replies

• MNMsMonique
    MNMsMonique Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Add some strength training into your routine a few days a weak. It will tone your muscles and make your body more lean.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    raevyn70 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato, I wasn't losing because I was carb loading way too much and yes, I was in a deficit. 1200-1400 range and burning way more than I was consuming. I wasn't eating enough vegetables or protein and relied mainly on grain carbs. I thought it was ok because I was "in a deficit". I am eating at higher range, more like 1800 now, came way down on the sugar and carbs, and guess what, I am losing fat.. not weight, FAT. I don't go by the scale, I stick with measurements. So you can say it's wrong, but I know different, I am seeing it in body composition and on the scale. But thank you for your expertise.

It just doesn't work like that. If it did, you would have defied the laws of thermodynamics. In order to lose weight, you must be in a calorie deficit, your CI<CO. It is completely possible that the foods you were eating, which were calorie dense, were putting you in a surplus, and them when you changed up your diet, particularly cutting carbs you lost water weight and then continued to lose because you are now in a calorie deficit.

Since you aren't relying on a scale for your weight I assume you aren't using a food scale either? It's very easy to consume more calories than you think, negating your deficit, when you aren't tracking accurately.

It's great you found something that works for you but your claim that the OP must cut sugar or carbs in order to lose weight is not a requirement.

I was eyeballing for a while, but have been consistent with the scale since January. Please note that I never said it was a requirement, but rather something to try. I have learned my lesson here. I think it is best that I just don't share my experiences with this journey on MFP. I certainly don't want to give wrong information or derail anyone else. I am not an expert, I just know what worked for me. So not to do that anymore, I'll just go back to the shadows of lurking and leave the advice giving to others. Thank you all for your responses.

Marabeara, thank you. I think you hit the hammer on the head with it. That's been my exact experience.

There is nothing wrong with sharing experiences, bur there is science behind those experience. It just happens that when you changed the way you ate, it allowed you to achieve the deficit to help you lose weight. It wasn't the specific foods, but the process of achieving a deficit. If you went back to moderate or high carb diet and maintained calories, your results (outside of glycogen replenishment) would be the same.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    MaraBeara wrote: »

I also want to point out that, while calorie reduction is a factor in weight loss, it is but one factor. The quality of those calories matters (e.g. eating a 200 calorie candy bar vs. a 200 calorie salad). Don't just create a deficient, but spend your calories on nutritionally whole foods. How well you sleep, manage stress, etc. also factor in. The more of a holistic approach you take to your health, rather than focusing on one part of your body or only one tool for weight loss, the better your overall results will be.

Hope that helps! :smile:
    No. A calorie is a calorie... it is basically fuel for the body and it doesn't mater of some of that fuel comes from say, chocolate. It's not the type of food that causes weight gain, it's eating more than your body needs to maintain its weight. Excess fuel gets stored. Give your body less fuel than it needs to maintain weight and weight loss occurs. Don't over-complicate this.
    WinoGelato, I wasn't losing because I was carb loading way too much and yes, I was in a deficit. 1200-1400 range and burning way more than I was consuming. I thought it was ok to do because I am weight lifting. Not so. I wasn't eating enough vegetables or protein and relied mainly on grain carbs, but I was "in a deficit". I am eating at higher range, more like 1800 now, came way down on the sugar and carbs, and guess what, I am losing fat.. not weight, FAT. I don't go by the scale, I stick with measurements. So you can say it's wrong, but I know different, I am seeing it in body composition and on the scale. I am just one that my body does not play well with grains or too much sugar and cutting those things out made all the difference. When you are older, things start changing and sometimes the same rules don't apply. But thank you for your expertise.
    Oh please. I eat lots of carbs and lose weight. Did you weigh your food? You lost water weight when you went low carb. And, you cannot argue with actual science.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato, I wasn't losing because I was carb loading way too much and yes, I was in a deficit. 1200-1400 range and burning way more than I was consuming. I wasn't eating enough vegetables or protein and relied mainly on grain carbs. I thought it was ok because I was "in a deficit". I am eating at higher range, more like 1800 now, came way down on the sugar and carbs, and guess what, I am losing fat.. not weight, FAT. I don't go by the scale, I stick with measurements. So you can say it's wrong, but I know different, I am seeing it in body composition and on the scale. But thank you for your expertise.

It just doesn't work like that. If it did, you would have defied the laws of thermodynamics. In order to lose weight, you must be in a calorie deficit, your CI<CO. It is completely possible that the foods you were eating, which were calorie dense, were putting you in a surplus, and them when you changed up your diet, particularly cutting carbs you lost water weight and then continued to lose because you are now in a calorie deficit.

Since you aren't relying on a scale for your weight I assume you aren't using a food scale either? It's very easy to consume more calories than you think, negating your deficit, when you aren't tracking accurately.

It's great you found something that works for you but your claim that the OP must cut sugar or carbs in order to lose weight is not a requirement.

I was eyeballing for a while, but have been consistent with the scale since January. Please note that I never said it was a requirement, but rather something to try. I have learned my lesson here. I think it is best that I just don't share my experiences with this journey on MFP. I certainly don't want to give wrong information or derail anyone else. I am not an expert, I just know what worked for me. So not to do that anymore, I'll just go back to the shadows of lurking and leave the advice giving to others. Thank you all for your responses.

Marabeara, thank you. I think you hit the hammer on the head with it. That's been my exact experience.

And there's the problem. You were eating more than you thought, thus you were not in a deficit.
    Cut carbs and tighten up logging (by actually weight food) and viola, you have a deficit.

1exa9u3p93yr.jpeg

Snort
  • raevyn70
    raevyn70 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I also want to point out that, while calorie reduction is a factor in weight loss, it is but one factor. The quality of those calories matters (e.g. eating a 200 calorie candy bar vs. a 200 calorie salad). Don't just create a deficient, but spend your calories on nutritionally whole foods. How well you sleep, manage stress, etc. also factor in. The more of a holistic approach you take to your health, rather than focusing on one part of your body or only one tool for weight loss, the better your overall results will be.

No. A calorie is a calorie... it is basically fuel for the body and it doesn't mater of some of that fuel comes from say, chocolate. It's not the type of food that causes weight gain, it's eating more than your body needs to maintain its weight. Excess fuel gets stored. Give your body less fuel than it needs to maintain weight and weight loss occurs. Don't over-complicate this.
    WinoGelato, I wasn't losing because I was carb loading way too much and yes, I was in a deficit. 1200-1400 range and burning way more than I was consuming. I thought it was ok to do because I am weight lifting. Not so. I wasn't eating enough vegetables or protein and relied mainly on grain carbs, but I was "in a deficit". I am eating at higher range, more like 1800 now, came way down on the sugar and carbs, and guess what, I am losing fat.. not weight, FAT. I don't go by the scale, I stick with measurements. So you can say it's wrong, but I know different, I am seeing it in body composition and on the scale. I am just one that my body does not play well with grains or too much sugar and cutting those things out made all the difference. When you are older, things start changing and sometimes the same rules don't apply. But thank you for your expertise.

Oh please. I eat lots of carbs and lose weight. Did you weigh your food? You lost water weight when you went low carb. And, you cannot argue with actual science.

MaraBeara was right - you are wrong. You can't be eating 70% carbs 20% protein and 10% fat and lose weight even at a bloody deficit. This is what I was doing, and yes at a deficit, I gained! So don't tell me you can eat lots of carbs and get away with it I know different. Maybe if your male or you are a female under 30, not at 45 years old. 49 pounds of weight loss is NOT water weight. Wow. Unbelievable. I am not asking for advice from anyone on MY nutrition. I got that in check, I am doing just fine after finding proper adjustments under the care of a clinical nutritionist. I have been on par for the past month. My nutrition NOW is not in question, my past yes and it was from consuming about 68% carbs. I don't care what you think you know. I am down to 30% carbs and functioning better and losing weight. So, why is this even being brought up in the topic of conversation at all?? I said cut the sugar and how I lowered my carbs and some of you lost your minds. Unbelievable.
    fishshark wrote: »
    its a shame to see someone confused on how to lose weight (and how simple it can be) and have a bunch of people say "i cut out suger" "i had to go to low carb" ect ect and it just confuses the OP into thinking they have to do all this extra unnecessary steps.

OP you can literally eat whatever you want just be in a deficit. Calculate your tdee and subtract from there. Weigh your food and slow and steady. Its a process that wont happen over night. YesurdAy I ate chips, ice cream, and pizza all while being in a deficit and continue to lose. Dont over think it.

And oh so very wrong. I am not the one confused.

I think the two of you need to do some further research, because what you are placing out there is not correct, not completely anyways. Furthermore, yes, I record everything and see response above and secondly, your promotion of chips, ice cream, and pizza every day is why many people are where they are with obesity and health decline to begin with. That is the most absurd advice ever given to date. I tried to walk away, but I am not going to sit here and get beat down on because I say to reduce carbs and sugars. I didn't say eliminate, I said REDUCE because too many folks are consuming far more than they should. Secondly, get your carbs from nutrient dense sources, not through all this processed food! A calorie is NOT a calorie, even MFP's own dietitian explains why not all calories are equal. Third, Don't tell me sugar is ok to consume in large quantities when it's not. The fact is, optimal health is at 25 grams per day and that was issued by the Word Health Organization (see links below for the FACTS) Don't tell me to stuff my face with potato chips (THE WORST thing to put in your mouth with transfats by the way!) to maintain healthy fat loss.

Even MFP's own dietitians have placed articles out there on this very same misinformation. Care to share some of those scientific case studies? Just stating something and acting oh so egotistical doesn't make you 100% right in my book or anyone else's. Are either of you clinical dietitians? Nobody is 100% correct on any of this, it's all guess work in my opinion. For every case study that says one thing, there are two out there to negate it. Either way, I don't care, but this nitpicking at my specific posts is a bunch of bs and I am not going to sit back and take that kind of nonsense. Here is a list of 'documented scientific fact' as you both like to call it, to back my stuff up. Beyond this, I am really done here, lol... I am not educating you all night long. I doubt it matters anyways,stick to that robotic premise sugar is ok and all calories are equal bull, even though MFP's very own will say otherwise. Go argue with them too on their blogs. I have given this way more time than I ever should have.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-is-a-calorie-a-calorie-2/

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/why-the-who-advises-you-to-reduce-sugar-consumption/

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/why-the-who-advises-you-to-reduce-sugar-consumption/

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-sugar-per-day/

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp#.VzJia_krJhE

http://www.sugarscience.org/the-growing-concern-of-overconsumption/#.VzJil_krJhE

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/much-sugar-should-someone-consume-day-9919.html

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/what-too-much-sugar-could-do-to-your-heart

https://uhs.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/wellness-nutritionactionsugarbelly.pdf

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/best-diet-quality-counts/

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/low-carbohydrate-diets/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    ltesiat wrote: »
    There are some meal that can help reduce belly fat... Such as green apples that have an enzyme that can eat away at belly fat... Drinking green tea or Yerba mate can help with bloating and metabolism which can reduce the waistline... Anything that helps with digestion such as ginger or even turmeric that helps with inflammation can reduce the waistline... I drink ginger tea, and sprinkle turmeric in it or u can add it to a green smoothie... Sweet peppers are great too
    Maybe in when measured on a minute scale, but it's not enough to make any significance.
    There is lots of misinformation on how OTC substances "burn fat" and honestly there aren't any studies that significantly show they are true. Most of what people claim about this, is from what they heard, not what they actually researched independently.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I think there are actually two issues being brought up here: (1) fat, and (2) inflammation - which are fundamentally two different things, although both make your abdomen larger.

I recently did a full 30 day detox where I cut out grains, dairy, alcohol, soy, and added sweeteners. Without counting calories, I lost 10 pounds, and my abdomen was undeniably slimmer. I went down a dress size. My acne cleared; my digestion improved... But what, exactly, did I lose when those pounds came off? I doubt it was necessarily fat, because as soon as I began adding 'forbidden' foods back in, I 'gained' back half of what I lost within a week...

Because of this experience, I conclude that inflammation is real, and there are, indeed, certain foods that aggravate it (which can vary from person to person). But when you go on an anti-inflammation diet, understand that you are not, per se, losing fat. Your body size and weight reduce because of a reduction in inflammation, not fat. And inflammation can fluctuate daily (even throughout the day) on the basis of what you ate that particular day; whereas, fat loss takes time and is more permanent in the long run.

It wasn't inflammation. It was reducing your overall carb intake and thereby reducing your glycogen levels. Lots of water gets lost with it and hence weight loss. Add carbs back in and voila, your glycogen levels get restored along with the water. Weight regained, even if one was in calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cerise_noir
    edited May 2016
    Options

MaraBeara was right - you are wrong. You can't be eating 70% carbs 20% protein and 10% fat and lose weight even at a bloody deficit. This is what I was doing, and yes at a deficit, I gained! So don't tell me you can eat lots of carbs and get away with it I know different. Maybe if your male or you are a female under 30, not at 45 years old. 49 pounds of weight loss is NOT water weight. Wow. Unbelievable. I am not asking for advice from anyone on MY nutrition. I got that in check, I am doing just fine after finding proper adjustments under the care of a clinical nutritionist. I have been on par for the past month. My nutrition NOW is not in question, my past yes and it was from consuming about 68% carbs. I don't care what you think you know. I am down to 30% carbs and functioning better and losing weight. So, why is this even being brought up in the topic of conversation at all?? I said cut the sugar and how I lowered my carbs and some of you lost your minds. Unbelievable.
    its a shame to see someone confused on how to lose weight (and how simple it can be) and have a bunch of people say "i cut out suger" "i had to go to low carb" ect ect and it just confuses the OP into thinking they have to do all this extra unnecessary steps.

OP you can literally eat whatever you want just be in a deficit. Calculate your tdee and subtract from there. Weigh your food and slow and steady. Its a process that wont happen over night. YesurdAy I ate chips, ice cream, and pizza all while being in a deficit and continue to lose. Dont over think it.

I think the two of you need to do some further research, because what you are placing out there is not correct, not completely anyways. Furthermore, yes, I record everything and see response above and secondly, your promotion of chips, ice cream, and pizza every day is why many people are where they are with obesity and health decline to begin with. That is the most absurd advice ever given to date. I tried to walk away, but I am not going to sit here and get beat down on because I say to reduce carbs and sugars. I didn't say eliminate, I said REDUCE because too many folks are consuming far more than they should. Secondly, get your carbs from nutrient dense sources, not through all this processed food! A calorie is NOT a calorie, even MFP's own dietitian explains why not all calories are equal. Third, Don't tell me sugar is ok to consume in large quantities when it's not. The fact is, optimal health is at 25 grams per day and that was issued by the Word Health Organization (see links below for the FACTS) Don't tell me to stuff my face with potato chips (THE WORST thing to put in your mouth with transfats by the way!) to maintain healthy fat loss.

Even MFP's own dietitians have placed articles out there on this very same misinformation. Care to share some of those scientific case studies? Just stating something and acting oh so egotistical doesn't make you 100% right in my book or anyone else's. Are either of you clinical dietitians? Nobody is 100% correct on any of this, it's all guess work in my opinion. For every case study that says one thing, there are two out there to negate it. Either way, I don't care, but this nitpicking at my specific posts is a bunch of bs and I am not going to sit back and take that kind of nonsense. Here is a list of 'documented scientific fact' as you both like to call it, to back my stuff up. Beyond this, I am really done here, lol... I am not educating you all night long. I doubt it matters anyways,stick to that robotic premise sugar is ok and all calories are equal bull, even though MFP's very own will say otherwise. Go argue with them too on their blogs. I have given this way more time than I ever should have.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp#.VzJia_krJhE

http://www.sugarscience.org/the-growing-concern-of-overconsumption/#.VzJil_krJhE

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/what-too-much-sugar-could-do-to-your-heart

https://uhs.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/wellness-nutritionactionsugarbelly.pdf

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/low-carbohydrate-diets/

Hilarious. I lost over 85lbs without reducing carbs and being in a deficit. CARBS DO NOT CAUSE FAT GAIN, excess calories do... Oh, and some of your sources are bogus.

Sigh.... Yes, a calorie is a calorie: it's unit of energy. In order to lose weight you must eat at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. To maintain your weight you must eat at your maintenance level calories. And to gain weight you must eat at a calorie surplus over your maintenance levels. In terms of weight it does not matter what those calories are made from.

But yeah you're right, not worth the time trying to educate people who are so stuck in their (wrong) beliefs :p

Right? I guess those who ate at a calorie deficit and lost weight imagined their weight away, like me. Oh, 85lbs I've lost, I imagined you all along! *snort* I guess hundreds of MFP users who lost and kept weight successfully through calorie deficit alone are big fat liars!!
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I eat carbs and have lost weight eating carbs. So yea, carbs don't make you overweight too many calories do. CICO
    Oh, obviously you're BSing, I mean, carbs makes teh fatz, didn'tyouknow? ;)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I eat carbs and have lost weight eating carbs. So yea, carbs don't make you overweight too many calories do. CICO
    Oh, obviously you're BSing, I mean, carbs makes teh fatz, didn'tyouknow? ;)

You caught me, chronic bs'er here!