why callories control, not fat?

Options

Replies

• rahmat_hidayat
    rahmat_hidayat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ridge4mfp wrote: »
    rahmat805 wrote: »
    That's great. So burning calorries by much moving and exercise is the beautiful life I think now.

Exercise can certainly help and is great for your general health. But weight loss starts in the kitchen. Focus on lowering your calorie intake.

• rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Control consumption limit and enjoy favourite works out are the key, arent they?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Control consumption limit and enjoy favourite works out are the key, arent they?
    For weight loss, limiting calorie consumption so that it is below calorie expenditure is the key. Workouts are nice for fitness but not required for weight loss.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I look at everything including fat, but one needs fat for absorption of fat soluble vitamins and brain health. I think it's better to be sort of balanced. Having said that, my 2 most successful weight loss times were at age 11 (yes) on Atkins and at age 30 on very low fat. Both times I got really thin.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    I think workouts very important to burn over quantity of nutrients in our body. I see the formulas of this apk also include excersize. What do you think?
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Fat is good, as long as it's not the bad kind of fat. I eat a lot of fat in my diet, but they are healthy fats, avocado,
    Fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil. I can tell you that I'm rarely hungry because of that. If you're eating tonnes of processed foods, lots of saturated fats and in particular trans fats, then whilst yes you may lose weight over all, but your body won't be happy. There is a term called TOFI which means thin outside, fat inside, and refers to the internal fat you're holding in particular around your heart and liver.

I won't ever say to people don't enjoy the foods you love (in moderation of
    Course!) but fat is not the enemy, there are just a few types of fat you'll really want to avoid...... Anything that says partially hydrogenated on the label, do not eat in excess.

In my personal opinion, sugar, in particular fructose (not in fruit, added sugar!) is the thing to avoid. It's processed by your liver like a trans fat, it's addictive, and has no nutritional value what so ever......but that's my personal opinion and that's the diet style I'm following currently. :)
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    30 years ago, carbs were king and fat was terrible. That wasn't any more right or wrong than the reverse thinking that's widely disseminated now.

Has it really been that long since the "fat free" craze? Wow I feel old. Now the "in" thing is gluten free this and gluten free that. Because now suddenly everyone has a gluten intolerance. ooops, I better not go there.

I think we've even moved on from that now ... now it's all low carb. Give it a few years and it'll be protein's turn ... low protein. :grin::wink:

From Woody Allen's 1973 film "Sleeper":

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1yCeFmn_e2c
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Thanks and this is very clear explanation to me. Can you advise me more to the point. So do you mean I am liberty to eat barbeque, beef satay, chocolate, and the like as long as total daily calorries under target?

I would recommend you DO make room in your daily allowances for these things. That way you can eat what you enjoy while losing and eventually maintaining a healthy weight.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Very awesome..yesterday I ate goat satay 12 pieces with callories 600 and my weight had lost 0.3 kgs this week. I combined with my fav workouts such as swimming, walking, and yoga.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, goat satay! I might be able to get goats meat here (well, certainly lamb, as there are more sheep than people here), but I never managed to make a really good satay to go with it. *drools over her computer*
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You want to control how much fat you eat?? well this app has that function too, just keep an eye on the macros set and you'll see fat there. Although there's been too much bad press for fat over the years, eating fat does not make us fat, its eating too much in general which makes us fat.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Hello friends, many people say that there is good and bad fat in the foods. Could you advise please whether that's true. If so we should avoid the bad one.thx.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Hello friends, many people say that there is good and bad fat in the foods. Could you advise please whether that's true. If so we should avoid the bad one.thx.

You're very polite. I like that.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

That's not clearly known. Some studies have indicated that saturated fats are worse for you than unsaturated fats, but other studies challenge those conclusions. What is certain is that particular unsaturated fats, especially omega-3 and omega-6 unsaturated fats, are required by your body but cannot be produced by your body, so you need to consume these in your diet. Your body also tends to use unsaturated fats for other things like making your cell membranes. Saturated fats don't have any special chemical properties that make them useful for other reasons than as storage of calories.

Trans fats are believed to be the least healthy form of fat, and many nations, including the US, are banning the inclusion of artificial trans-fats in foods.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Drives me so crazy when people think dietary fat makes you fat. Carbohydrates are the worst macronutrient. But weightloss is down to consuming less calories than you exhume. Just make sure those calories come from healthy, wholesome foods!!

It doesn't even have to be healthy wholesome foods, you just have to eat at a calorie deficit. If you wanted to live on chocolate cake you could and still lose weight as long as you ate at a deficit. Granted you would be hungry a lot...
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Nikki31104 wrote: »
    Drives me so crazy when people think dietary fat makes you fat. Carbohydrates are the worst macronutrient. But weightloss is down to consuming less calories than you exhume. Just make sure those calories come from healthy, wholesome foods!!

It doesn't even have to be healthy wholesome foods, you just have to eat at a calorie deficit. If you wanted to live on chocolate cake you could and still lose weight as long as you ate at a deficit. Granted you would be hungry a lot...

From a weight loss point of view. You'd probably be protein deficient on the cake diet, as well as requiring a good amount of vitamin supplements.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Nikki31104 wrote: »

From a weight loss point of view. You'd probably be protein deficient on the cake diet, as well as requiring a good amount of vitamin supplements.

Most definitely. I was just using a high calorie food as an example.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

That's not clearly known. Some studies have indicated that saturated fats are worse for you than unsaturated fats, but other studies challenge those conclusions. What is certain is that particular unsaturated fats, especially omega-3 and omega-6 unsaturated fats, are required by your body but cannot be produced by your body, so you need to consume these in your diet. Your body also tends to use unsaturated fats for other things like making your cell membranes. Saturated fats don't have any special chemical properties that make them useful for other reasons than as storage of calories.

Trans fats are believed to be the least healthy form of fat, and many nations, including the US, are banning the inclusion of artificial trans-fats in foods.

@rankinsect , I notice the various types of fat in my diary do not add up to the total fat grams. Is there another type we do not keep track of in the MFP diaries, or is it just bad entries?
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Hi, I like your quote "just make sure those callories comes from healthy, wholesome foods". I just dont want to be over confidence on callories control while neglecting food/drink contents. Also many thanks for advice to maximize unsaturated fats, minimize saturated fats, and if possible avoid trans fats. I just googling, unsat fats: olives, nuts, avocado, seeds, tuna fish, vegetable oils, etc. Sat fats: beef, coconut oil, milk fat, butter, cream, palm oil, shortening, chicken, etc. Trans fat: in many cakes, cookies, etc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    Drives me so crazy when people think dietary fat makes you fat. Carbohydrates are the worst macronutrient.
    It drives you crazy when people demonize one macronutrient while you demonize a different one?

30 years ago, carbs were king and fat was terrible. That wasn't any more right or wrong than the reverse thinking that's widely disseminated now.

I blame Susan Powter for my decades-long fear of fat.

susan-powter_l.jpg

It's MUCH more complicated for that, but she did capitalize on it. Read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. He lays it out very elegantly.