Is There Anything That Doesn't Taste Good Anymore?

Options

Replies

• NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I quit soda a few years ago and recently had a taste of my mom's Coca Cola ... it was nasty! Also, any cake mixes, frosting etc. taste like chemicals. I don't deny myself treats but these days I make them myself with organic ingredients. After making homemade brownies and my favorite, yellow cake with chocolate frosting, I just don't see why people don't take a few extra minutes to do homemade versus a box mix.

Yep, store-bought frosting is totally gross. I gave up most processed foods a long time ago, so I didn't put those in my first post, but I agree, no more soup, etc unless I am sick and don't have the energy to make it from scratch. and frozen meals like Lean Cuisine, etc have been off my radar for over 5 years as well - they are never satisfying, and anything with chicken in particular just tastes off to me.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Regular sodas. I'm too into diet sodas now.
    Frozen meals. I used to frozen chicken tenders all the time. I tried some around last year and hated every bite.
    I never liked store box cake, the kind with crappy butter cream, but I pretty much refuse to eat that stuff now. It's not even the cake so much as it is frosting.

I had a McDouble when the Pick 2 promotion was released and was really disappointed. Their fries can still be pretty good.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Several weeks ago I was having a binge and grabbed a box of Triscuits. Now, Triscuits were never anyone's idea of 'delicious', but to me that day they were just wrong all over.

Many years ago I quit regularly drinking sugary sodas and sugary tea and sugary coffee. Now I loath the thick filmy presence sugar leaves in my mouth on those rare occasions when I do taste these things.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

I am more sensitive to some flavors (Doritos seem SO salty and regular soda is SO sweet) but I'll still consume them in smaller quantities.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies, though honestly I'm convinced it's because they changed something, and not that my palate has changed, since I still love pretty much everything I had before.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    fried stuff im not crazy about any more.

dr pepper i cant stand (and i used to drink 4-6 cans a day...) i do drink other no calorie soda, but tried to treat myself with a dr p and yuck. LOL
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies, though honestly I'm convinced it's because they changed something, and not that my palate has changed, since I still love pretty much everything I had before.

I think you're right - they must've changed something. They're sickeningly sweet and taste like chemicals. Nasty!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Not that I can think of, my palate hasn't really changed. I mostly cooked from scratch, didn't like jarred pasta sauces, and was picky about my baked goods (homemade all the way) and restaurants even before losing weight, though. I just overate the same stuff I like now. One doesn't have to eat lots of packaged sweets or fast food or soda or even fried food to gain weight, after all.

I am much less likely to waste calories on foods I don't like that much (like rice, or random things that appear in the office) than before, though, now that calories are precious.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    rakowskidp wrote: »

I think you're right - they must've changed something. They're sickeningly sweet and taste like chemicals. Nasty!

They used to be amazing, I weep for this land.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The only thing i've really noticed is sodium. I ordered mcdonald's fries a few weeks back and literally could not eat them because they were too salty. I had to order them unsalted for them to taste normal.

Otherwise, i still enjoy the same foods.
  • surprisethekids
    surprisethekids Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much eating everything (in moderation), but I have discovered that regular colas are way to sweet for me now. I was really psyched to have a Jimmy John's sandwich last month, but couldn't eat it - it was too salty. Pizza makes me sick to my stomach for days. I still love the taste, but it doesn't love me.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    god i love captain crunch.. which apparently has NEVER BEEN CALLED CAPTAIN CRUNCH. blows my mind haha.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and it actually makes me really sad.

Most pizzas... too salty. The last one I had was such a let down (from a place I used to like, too) that I think I'm just completely over pizza now (unless it's from one of those local places that do Italian style pizza). French fries too. Most fast food is just way too salty for me now... Popeyes fried chicken burned my mouth! Mc Donald's chicken nuggets don't even appeal to me anymore (nor do most fried foods, frankly). Heck I got a hazelnut milkshake a year ago from Cheeburger Cheeburger after I got my wisdom teeth removed and all I could think was 'just not worth the calories'.

Ice cream cones (like Good Humor). I mean, maybe they changed the formula? But it was just extremely disappointing. Boston Market mac'n cheese (I used to love the stuff).

Ditto on processed foods - canned soup especially... yuck! Or grocery stores baked goods - even Wegmans disappointed me last time. I think I'm just a food snob now.

And juice. I hadn't drunk any juice/soda for 3 years and had some Bai a couple weeks ago and it was way too sweet. Ugh.

But I still like most packaged cookies (Chips Ahoy being the exception), still liked the filet-o-fish I ordered a few months back even though it was like eating air so I'll never order one again... So I guess it depends, lol.

• kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Donuts and ice cream feel like a giant concrete block in my stomach and are way to sweet
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Really good question OP.

I have had to change my food intake radically due to health reasons and initially was keen to find suitable substitutes for my favourite foods. Sadly, pretty much without exception they were all big disappointments.

Cauliflower pizza crust - Oh my!!! Only time I have ever thrown food away. Paleo biscuits made with coconut flour *Le sigh* It didn't really matter whether I made them myself or they were store bought.

My biggest 'sad' is bread. I can't eat gluten and damn it I have tried just about everything. It may just be my poor baking skills but the homemade versions were just an exercise in deep shame and frustration and even now the loaf that I have on the very odd occasion just isn't the same as the wonderful texture and flavour of wheat based products.

Such is life. ;)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Wagon wheels but they are so different now than when I was a kid (that wasn't yesterday)
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Salty/sodium here too. I bought a box of cheezit grooves crackers recently, ate one and thought...eww these are really nasty.
    In the garbage can the box went. And fried/breaded stuff.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    rakowskidp wrote: »

I like some other Little Debbie products, but the cream pies were really disappointing. I tried them when I fell in love with oatmeal cookies.

Speaking of changing the formula, Cadbury creme eggs. Chocolate creme eggs and their solid milk chocolate eggs are still good though.

• sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    the unsweet tea mixed with diet lemonaid i buy at chickfilet i used to put 4 to 5 splenda packets in it now i need none it taste sweet enough without it
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy the taste of pretty much everything I ate before I lost weight, because I've still been eating it all along. These days I've more cut back on a lot of things because they're not currently worth it calories-wise. Like, while I stil think a Coffee Crisp tastes great, I get more chocolate bang for my calorie buck if I have a square of dark chocolate instead (although sometimes the Coffee Crisp wins).