Not wanting to work out around bodybuilders?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently surprised me when she said, "Nothing de-motivates me more than having a bunch of big bodybuilders around while I'm exercising. I don't want to work out with those kind of people around."

This took me by surprise, perhaps because I can't really relate to that feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way about working out around these hardcore types? If so, why?

I can definitely relate!!

When I was a bodybuilder, I didn't mind at all. I was right in there with them. But then I got into cycling I haven't been into bodybuilding for years.

The last 3 gyms I've been a member of, I stuck to cardio because I very quickly grew wearing of being stared at, laughed at, yelled at, and shoved out of the way.

those guys weren't body builders they were jerks at the gym...probably not building much of anything other than a reputation...

I also think that people who feel stared at, laughed at etc are probably not being laughed at or stared at.

the yelling and pushing would result in expulsion from a university gym so why not address it....

Most of the time I would agree with you about the staring and laughing ... after all, that's what we tell new cyclists -- that no one sees them, no one notices them. But when a group of them are standing right there not even an arm's length away, looking right at you, and snickering, it's hard to convince yourself that you are not being laughed at or stared at. And when they start jostling and wrestling and pushing amongst themselves, and knocking into you until you are no longer standing in front of a mirror trying to do some curls ... well, again, it's hard to convince yourself that was all just coincidence. And when that happens 2 or 3 days in a row ...

Since there were so many of them, and just one of me ... and since I did want to continue to use the cardio in peace, I found it easier to just focus on cardio and not bother with the weights.

That gym was long ago and far away, and it's highly unlikely I'll ever have a need to use it again.

But that experience has diminished my desire to check out the gym at my current university. I have a look at the webpage and it does look more civilized, so one day I might.

The more recent two gyms I mentioned aren't as bad as that university gym ... they are actually pretty decent gyms (especially for the pool, cardio, and classes). However, in both cases, I suspect that if I had attended at a different time of day, or different days or something I might have had a completely different impression of the weight lifting area ... it could have just been a bit of bad timing.

Never let a *kitten* stand in the way of your own progress. You've let those guys live and thrive in your own head. They were there IRL for what? 30 minutes? Such a small sliver to still be affecting your fitness decisions. Remove them and go check out your current university gym.

Right now, the main things affecting my fitness decisions with regard to weight lifting are convenience and cost.

My husband and I have set up a home gym which is much more convenient, has cost significantly less than annual memberships for the two of us and, for the time being, meets my needs. :)

We actually didn't even think about the university gym (despite the fact that I've been going there for over a year now) until a couple weekends ago when we were debating what to do on a chilly, windy, drizzly day ... we decided to go for a bicycle ride which is where our main interest lies. :grin:
  • guernica2
    guernica2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Perhaps she is referring to the kind of people I sometimes get stuck in the gym with. It bothers me slightly, but drives my wife mad.

I hope I don't come over as stereotyping, but it's certainly not the bodybuilders, or the fitness buffs. I've been training with these people for over 25 years, and they're all incredible, each with their own story to tell.

I'm talking about the people only seem to be at the gym, so they can tell people that they were at the gym. They throw weights around, sometimes dangerously in my opinion, leave all the equipment they've used all over the place, never wipe down the machines, and don't really seem to know proper form.

Of course, some of this comes down to age and experience, and everyone has to right to train, but I just get the feeling that as soon as the finish they're final set, they're straight down to the pub and tucking into burgers!

Like I said, most of this behaviour doesn't really bother me, but it's definitely keeping some people out of the gym!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't get intimidated by the "bodybuilders" and people who take their workouts seriously. What I do get intimidated by are the people (usually men) who grunt loudly, yell back and forth at each other, flex a lot, take gym selfies, and are generally obnoxious. I know I shouldn't let them get to me, but it's really, really distracting.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised they didn't get kicked out. My gym kicks people out for much lesser crimes

Agreed. The one real bodybuilder *kitten* hat I've ever run into was at a gym I belonged to a few years ago. He was a former pro but in his late 50s or 60s and he was just a real PIA. His MO was to load plates on a bench, walk off for 15 minutes and come back and yell at anyone who had cleared the station. Everyone largely ignored him until he crossed the line and yelled at a 70 something year old woman. He was thrown out permanently that day because every guy in the gym it seems said something. Commercial gyms are businesses and they make money by being inviting to their customers. If someone is a real jerk then say something to management. You not only help you but you help others by doing so. It's not the 5th grade school yard where you have to get into a physical altercation to solve the problem. No one wants that.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I don't get intimidated by the "bodybuilders" and people who take their workouts seriously. What I do get intimidated by are the people (usually men) who grunt loudly, yell back and forth at each other, flex a lot, take gym selfies, and are generally obnoxious. I know I shouldn't let them get to me, but it's really, really distracting.

What's funny is that it's the women at my gym who yell back an forth at each other over the noise of the machine they're using. Usually loud enough where my ear buds don't even drown them out.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness created an entire business around those people. Nothing like viewing other's success as your own failure and resenting them for your own internal monologue.

I've always wondered if Planet Fitness revokes your membership if you get in shape? Although, given the mindset of their customers, it's probably never come up.

What exactly is the mindset of planet fitness customers? Care to elaborate? Prey tell oh wise one.
    Everyone can't afford a 500.00 a year gym, and I highly doubt that dictates ones mindset.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I also don't want to work out in a gym with a bunch of body builders either, but it has absolutely nothing to do with them and everything to do with my own confidence and intimidation. I'd rather work out with the geriatric crowd of creepers on bikes at the Y than a bunch of men that look like they know what they're doing in the weight room. Maybe because they're more likely to ignore me. It's my issue, not theirs. I've personally never had a bad experience at the gym with anyone, rather the intimidation comes from not wanting to be noticed as the heavy person working out. Now that I've dropped 50ish lbs, I'm probably one of the more average sized people, but the head hasn't up with the changes in the body quite as well and old thoughts, having been so ingrained, are hard to change.

But I've been working on it for the last 6-7 months. I work out at a "bro gym" now (I've never even seen a cardio bunny there), but I always go when they're pretty empty. I chose a trainer that is a smaller, non intimidating kinda guy (which was a huge struggle in itself to even show up for the first month knowing that I was going to struggle in front of someone). We're working on building confidence through form and technique because the goal is to eventually "leave the nest." He forces me to push myself into that uncomfortable place in order to grow. Some of the things he says resonates outside of the gym as well and sharing that "win" with him makes us both feel good about what we're doing.

So that's how I read the OPs intentions - not that body builders are terrible people, rather that OP struggles with some of the same issues as I do.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

what's wrong with grunting, yelling and flexing?
    and pictures?
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do any of you own shares in planet fitness or its competitors?

Why so serious?
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to a hardcore gym where lifting is the main course and Planet Fitness which has a completely different vibe. I've never felt uncomfortable at either place being a weights/cardio overweight woman. I guess it's all in how you view it.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

what's wrong with grunting, yelling and flexing?
    and pictures?

Nothing, inherently, but I personally find it obnoxious and distracting. YMMV.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just don't like doing stuff in public in general. Too much anxiety for me. So I just stay home and work out alone. Much easier for me.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't know about bodybuilders but in my gym the powerlifters are the nicest people you can meet and are always very helpful :)
    not only the most helpful but also the first ones to make a positive comment.

• ummijaaz560
    Options
    Planet Fitness created an entire business around those people. Nothing like viewing other's success as your own failure and resenting them for your own internal monologue.

I've always wondered if Planet Fitness revokes your membership if you get in shape? Although, given the mindset of their customers, it's probably never come up.

What exactly is the mindset of planet fitness customers? Care to elaborate? Prey tell oh wise one.
    Everyone can't afford a 500.00 a year gym, and I highly doubt that dictates ones mindset.

Pompous jerks, as you've demonstrated.

I'm the pompous jerk yet you're the one stereotyping a group of people's mindset because they're planet fitness customers?

Yeah nice try, way to deflect.

Yet you see no issue with the stereotyping in Planet Fitness' marketing and commercials which deliberately portray people who are physically fit as being stupid and rude.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to protest the bad taste their commercials leave in your mouth lmao!

But I'm sure is heck not going to class folks that go there as having a lesser mindset.
  • ummijaaz560
    Options
    Do any of you own shares in planet fitness or its competitors?

Why so serious?

I found fault with his throwing shade at people who frequent planet fitness.

I have no interest in upholding the brand.
    I don't think it's ok to stereotype bodybuilders nor planet fitness members.
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine recently surprised me when she said, "Nothing de-motivates me more than having a bunch of big bodybuilders around while I'm exercising. I don't want to work out with those kind of people around."

This took me by surprise, perhaps because I can't really relate to that feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way about working out around these hardcore types? If so, why?

I hear there's a purple and yellow themed gym that your friend will LOVE! :p

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    IMO, these types of feelings are nased on personal insecurities, not reality.

As a woman, I have found that if anything, the 'more buff' males and /or body builders will go out of their way to help people in the weight room.... - regardless of fitness level.

I once asked a guy to help me adjust a bench (the knob was jammed or stuck somehow) when I couldnt get it. He had trouble as well and pretty soon there was 5 guys who all stopped what they were doing (without being asked), to help him.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    that seems crazy. The body builders are awesome! PLUS, they'll spot if you need one, or give advice if you ask. We are all a big family at the gym. Esp. the regulars.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I can definitely relate!!

When I was a bodybuilder, I didn't mind at all. I was right in there with them. But then I got into cycling I haven't been into bodybuilding for years.

The last 3 gyms I've been a member of, I stuck to cardio because I very quickly grew wearing of being stared at, laughed at, yelled at, and shoved out of the way.

those guys weren't body builders they were jerks at the gym...probably not building much of anything other than a reputation...

I also think that people who feel stared at, laughed at etc are probably not being laughed at or stared at.

the yelling and pushing would result in expulsion from a university gym so why not address it....

Most of the time I would agree with you about the staring and laughing ... after all, that's what we tell new cyclists -- that no one sees them, no one notices them. But when a group of them are standing right there not even an arm's length away, looking right at you, and snickering, it's hard to convince yourself that you are not being laughed at or stared at. And when they start jostling and wrestling and pushing amongst themselves, and knocking into you until you are no longer standing in front of a mirror trying to do some curls ... well, again, it's hard to convince yourself that was all just coincidence. And when that happens 2 or 3 days in a row ...

Since there were so many of them, and just one of me ... and since I did want to continue to use the cardio in peace, I found it easier to just focus on cardio and not bother with the weights.

That gym was long ago and far away, and it's highly unlikely I'll ever have a need to use it again.

But that experience has diminished my desire to check out the gym at my current university. I have a look at the webpage and it does look more civilized, so one day I might.

The more recent two gyms I mentioned aren't as bad as that university gym ... they are actually pretty decent gyms (especially for the pool, cardio, and classes). However, in both cases, I suspect that if I had attended at a different time of day, or different days or something I might have had a completely different impression of the weight lifting area ... it could have just been a bit of bad timing.

It sounds like a pretty negative experience!

Maybe it has to do with me being a mom of teenage boys, or that I've worked in education, or just that at 5'0" I've learned how to stand tall, but I would tell them, in my serious mom/teacher voice, to chill. And then give them the look. Seriously, most 20-somethings wilt under that, even when in a group. But, if you don't feel comfortable doing that, I can understand, too.

FWIW, I worked out at my university gym, as well, and never had real issues. Yeah, there are some boys doing the adolescent male thing, but never in the way. It probably helps that the staff shows little tolerance for goofing around like that.