Pizza for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza several times a month (had it last night). Not a big deal.
  • michelle24p
    michelle24p Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love pizza. I wont willingly order it but if it is around i will eat the toppings and cheese just for the satisfaction. I still lost weight. Although now that I am closer to my goal I have to be more disciplined. Plus there are days when you wont eat the perfect meal. And if a meal has gone overboard, call it a cheat day and go for it. Then the next days go back to healthy eating.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. Except water.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The reason why people fail to maintain their weight loss is because they start out with unrealistic eating patterns. I could see 800 calories as part of an intermittent fasting regimen, but long-term weight loss involves a balance of diet and exercise that will have you eating at a deficit until you reach your goal. 800 calories a day is not balance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,923 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    layak wrote: »
    pizza seems like empty caliries to me

Depending on the toppings, pizza has fat, carbs and protein. It's quite the opposite of empty calories, it is one of the most comprehensive from a macro nutrient standpoint.

FYI, the USDA considers the solid fats in pizza to be empty calories. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/preschoolers-empty-calories

I do have pizza once a month or so. Stopping at two pieces would not satisfy me. I do eat a big salad with it, and am now able to stop at three pieces.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    800 goal is not a good thing for anybody, not even my 7 year old son eats that little. You need more and to find a healthier goal. Pizza is fine in moderation.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    We make pizza's at home all the time. You can find great flat breads, no fat cheeses, low fat meats, veggies and have a really great meal that fits in your macros.
  • avingers
    avingers Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with pizza! About once a week I buy the pre maid pizza dough from trader joe's and we make our own mini pizzas at home. With the right toppings, my pizza comes out to be under 300 cals. Paired with a side of veggies, it's totally satisfying.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You can have pizza everyday and lose weight. A slice isn't going to damage your weight.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've lost 150+ lbs and eat pizza weekly or bi weekly, sometimes within my calories, sometimes over. Love me some pizza!
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pizza is okay in moderation. Eating 800 callories a day is not okay. Please reconsider changing your callorie allowance for the day. I would be so hungry and grumpy on 800.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    layak wrote: »
    pizza seems like empty caliries to me

Depending on the toppings, pizza has fat, carbs and protein. It's quite the opposite of empty calories, it is one of the most comprehensive from a macro nutrient standpoint.

FYI, the USDA considers the solid fats in pizza to be empty calories. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/preschoolers-empty-calories

I do have pizza once a month or so. Stopping at two pieces would not satisfy me. I do eat a big salad with it, and am now able to stop at three pieces.

In other words, cheese.

I find 2 pieces of pizza satisfactory (one piece if it's Chicago style). I also eat it with a salad, and tend to like lots of vegetables on it. I also enjoy making my own where I can have more for no more calories. I add cheese to my homemade pizza too, as well as many other foods (and I eat it on its own as dessert sometimes). I do consider cheese a treat or extra, but the idea that it would turn any food that contained it into "empty calories" seems odd. I had a 2-egg omelet with broccoli, spinach, and feta this morning, guess that also had empty calories, but it was not an empty calorie meal, IMO, and neither is a pizza with broccoli and spinach (which is a common enough topping).

Anyway, rant about pizza aside :-) I'd urge the OP to read the links that WinoGelato gave. They are great and very educational about using MFP. I read most of them soon after arriving here and have always been glad I did.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Pizza, burgers, fries..all part of my pre weight loss diet. And part of my diet now, but I make it myself and control ingredients and portions better than a restaurant ordered version. And because I can eat the home versions whenever I want, I don't crave the worse versions.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The only solid fats in a pizza should come from cheese, which is an excellent source of vitamin B12 and calcium and a good source of protein and vitamin A.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I was very busy at work today and only had time for a small snack. With little food in the house, I got the kids Domino's for dinner. Starving, I had two pieces and figured I'd make up for it the rest of the week. Well, after looking up the nutrition info, turns out two pieces of what I had is 470 calories and 50 carbs (I know calories are most important for weight loss, but trying to keep carbs under 100 as well), which fits just fine into my daily amounts. I hope everyone is right about what’s most important is CICO!

I took a peek at your food diary. I can tell you are a busy person. I am not sure this will help, but if you could eat breakfast or at least drink a protein shake in the morning, it might start your day out with a little protein, which a busy mother of two with a job outside the home could use. As far as the pizza goes, it is neither the best nor the worst food choice...and there is no reason why you can't eat pizza unless it's a trigger food, in which case you might want to avoid it for awhile until you can handle it. I think if you like pizza you should plan it right into your diet! Hope this helps.