Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Essential Oils

WeepingAngel81
WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
I am new to the E.O. world, and came into not really having no opinion about them either way. I do use oils, but I do not believe that modern medicine should be tossed out the window. I just took a trip to the doctor a couple of weeks ago, in fact, for a nasty cough I had going on. However, the more I learn, the more I realize there is a lot of opinions that tend to either fall under full out belief in using them to support your body OR total skeptics believing them to be just another craze. I am curious about what others think about taking a more holistic approach to their health.

What do you think? Are they just another craze, or do believe their is real science behind them and why? Are they something you have ever incorporated into your life, or do you have no use for them?

Replies

• paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    I have the ones that smell nice. Holistic health is a bit of a buzzword and is usually a good indicator of pseudoscience to me. I personally think that health involves a "holistic" approach in that diet and exercise are important but who doesn't?
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    I have and use EO's! Love them!! I use them for anxiety and depression and also if my muscles are sore!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I'm very skeptical and think it runs more along the lines of placebo effect - if you think it's going to work, then it will.

That said, occasionally when I visit the massage therapist she uses a mint oil on the scalp which is very soothing. But I don't believe that it's actually doing anything other than what it's meant for, which is to just be a refreshing scrub. I don't get into magical thinking myself.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i use lavendar and some of them for cleaning as well.
    i have panaway for sore joints too.
  • MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    There are some that beneficial like Eucalyptus. It's used in all kinda of things and helps with inflammation like a sunburn or in Vicks Vapor Rub. Thus the grandma's always telling you to use Noxzema on your sunburns to help with the swelling. Personally I just like the smells and if you are going to use them do your research especially if you move into tinctures. A lot of EO and tinctures affect medications and diseases
  • WeepingAngel81
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I'm very skeptical and think it runs more along the lines of placebo effect - if you think it's going to work, then it will.

That said, occasionally when I visit the massage therapist she uses a mint oil on the scalp which is very soothing. But I don't believe that it's actually doing anything other than what it's meant for, which is to just be a refreshing scrub. I don't get into magical thinking myself.

Can you expand on the magical thinking part? From my understanding, E.O.'s are volatile compounds found within a plant. It has been proven that plants when we eat them are good for us. Is it a stretch to believe that the oils found within these plants could be good for our bodies as well? For example, currently, there is a lot of research being done on Frankincense and it's effects on cancer. I wouldn't go out and slather myself in the oil, nor would I use that as my sole treatment if I had cancer, but if you were told you had cancer and told that this in conjunction with your ongoing medical treatment, could help you, would your skepticism hold you back from trying it?
  • WeepingAngel81
    MaGrl523 wrote: »
    There are some that beneficial like Eucalyptus. It's used in all kinda of things and helps with inflammation like a sunburn or in Vicks Vapor Rub. Thus the grandma's always telling you to use Noxzema on your sunburns to help with the swelling. Personally I just like the smells and if you are going to use them do your research especially if you move into tinctures. A lot of EO and tinctures affect medications and diseases

Do you think it's the Eucalyptus alone or the other ingredients working with it in the products you mentioned that help soothe?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Months ago I tried using peppermint oil to help with my digestion, but the effects I noticed were minimal. However, I know others who have used essential oils for other conditions and have had success. I don't think they necessarily have magical properties, but I do think they can be useful for certain things if used properly.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited May 2016
    Tea tree oil (for me) worked more effectively on chronic athletes foot than even prescription cream. Would I use holistic for every medical problem.....nope I'd rather not live in the dark ages. Both have their place in my world.
  • iluvnufoods
    iluvnufoods Posts: 45 Member
    There isn't enough empirical evidence for me to consider using them as an alternative medicine. I do think there is a place for aromatherapy and have used oils for that purpose, but it's simply a therapeutic effect. Scents often have an effect on the brain and can make us feel good (or bad, depending on the memory it produces.) A good example is smelling something from your childhood: perhaps your grandmother's house, or the smell of your mother's signature dish.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    I have lavender, vanilla, orange& grapefruit oils for a refreshing smell. For me, they just smell nice, i don't expect them to have any use beyond that.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    I do not subscribe to the magic oils. It seems like such a white suburban craze.
  • WeepingAngel81
    auddii wrote: »
    Months ago I tried using peppermint oil to help with my digestion, but the effects I noticed were minimal. However, I know others who have used essential oils for other conditions and have had success. I don't think they necessarily have magical properties, but I do think they can be useful for certain things if used properly.

If I recall correctly, you were rubbing the oil on your stomach with the hopes that it would improve digestion.

I still don't understand the biological mechanism to which it would affect digestion whatsoever.

I've not heard of peppermint to help with digestion, but I have heard of star anise helping. I have heard peppermint may help with an upset stomach though. My mom used to always rub my stomach in a counter clockwise motion when I was a child and my stomach was upset, and I do recall her telling me to eat a peppermint if I felt nauseated, but I don't like peppermint taste so that didn't happen!
  • ForecasterJason

If I recall correctly, you were rubbing the oil on your stomach with the hopes that it would improve digestion.

I still don't understand the biological mechanism to which it would affect digestion whatsoever.
    Since it can be used to relax the muscles in the abdominal area, controlling intestinal gut motility would be a benefit. Some other sources say that it has antibacterial properties as well. Granted, these effects are limited to only a component of the GI tract.

• ForecasterJason

Since it can be used to relax the muscles in the abdominal area, controlling intestinal gut motility would be a benefit. Some other sources say that it has antibacterial properties as well. Granted, these effects are limited to only a component of the GI tract.

:huh:

What part of the gut do you think you are affecting by rubbing oil on your belly?
    Colon
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0401/p1027.html