Husband in ER. What is th point.

Options

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Those flexi leashes are awfully dangerous. I wish people would stop using them.

I am so sorry your hubby is in the hospital. I know how hard that is. I dealt with that myself a long time ago. My husband went in the hospital with a gallstone attack. It was three months before the end. You know even while he is out of his mind part of him will know when you are there and it will help him to find his way back. I know it's scary.

Try to stay calm as much as you can and be sure to try to rest and eat right. You need to be strong to help him to get better.

Best wishes for a good recovery. And better sense on his part in the future.
  • JazCopycat
    JazCopycat Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Today it's worst. They say he has frontal hematoma or something like that. What does that mean? How is that possible first he is better then worst....are they lying to me?
    @Melodieccurn I don't know how tobsend you a message.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!

Talk to the doctor, it's crazy that they wouldn't explain to you what the problem is.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you should ask the doctor. while it means he has bruising on his frontal lobe, the severity can vary
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    JazCopycat wrote: »
    Today it's worst. They say he has frontal hematoma or something like that. What does that mean? How is that possible first he is better then worst....are they lying to me?

Clinician to english:

He's likely got a collection of blood outside of blood vessels between the brain tissue and the inside lining of the brain in the front part (left or right). Going ONLY of what you have stated it sounds as though it's toward the serious end of the spectrum. It's all about pressure on the brain right now.

The physicians, PAs, Nurses have no reason to lie to you or mislead you. Better and worse is very relative when we're waiting on results and in the critical 24 hour post injury phase of this sort of thing. Just as Melodiecurn said a lot of times we cannot tell you everything. We're running for lab results, radiology reports, etc. - for you, and everyone else.

Been exactly where your husband is now due to a roadside bomb. I was confused and in and out for 4 days.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear this! I hope he recovers quickly and thank you to all the nice people on this thread who have offered help, which makes me question even more, WHY are all of the OP's posts flagged???
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering why her posts were flagged??

Anyway OP- I am so sorry you are going through this. I have no words of advice. I hope he has a speedy recovery and that you are able to keep your stress levels from going through the roof.
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ok, so sorry to hear about what happened to your husband. I will send a pray you guys way.

And to help clear up some of your questions.

They are asking if he has a history of seizures. If he had a seizure for the first time, they are trying to figure out what may have caused this. Epilepsy is a blanket term for a misfire in the brain. Something in your brain is not firing correctly and will cause you to have a seizure. I could be triggered by lights, sounds or smells or anything like that.

A hematoma is the collection of blood in the skull that is putting pressure on the brain.

The brain is enclosed in the skull and has only limited room for movement. So if there is bleeding in there it is essentially taking up valuable space. So the only openings are at the base of the skull where your spine connects. If the swelling and pressure builds up high enough it will force the brain down to that opening. Putting pressure on your spine causing paralysis.

If he fell and hit his head from seizing while riding his bike, he could easily have fractured his skull which could cause hematoma.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I was there today. Stil I don't think he knows I was there. He was asking for a knife to cut some bandages... But all like he was delirious.
    I told him I love him but I don't think he heard that. He asked to pee... Eyes closed. I believe he is under medications ?!

Last fall I was riding my bike when I got hit - hard - by a car. An ambulance took me to the ER and they kept me there overnight and most of the next day. I still don't know exactly how it happened, I remember laying in the street and somebody telling me I should get out of it if I can walk. I don't remember if I walked or if people helped me or what. It was awful, very frightening, painful, and I didn't know what was going on.

Luckily I had my phone. I called my honey and told her what happened. She got to the hospital a few minutes after I did. She was the only thing that made me happy for those two days. They kept giving me pain drugs, sometimes I would pass out, but when I woke up and saw her, I was less afraid.

Your husband needs you now, probably more than he's ever needed you before, and hopefully more than he ever will again.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Blood can take a while to collect so it is very likely he was doing ok until enough blood pooled to cause him to essentially not be ok anymore.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

This is the way of brain injuries. You live minute to minute. One day he will be doing good and the next not. No recovery is the same for a brain injury and just expect that it is going to be rough--especially the first few days. My husband didn't recognize me for days after he came out of his coma and after that he didn't know my name for a long time.

If your husband is in the neuro until of the hospital, those nurses and doctors are amazing and they know what they're talking about. Ask questions. They won't mind answering your questions. They're used to it. The more you know the better equipped you'll be to deal with it.

Be prepared to be his voice and his advocate and eventually his caregiver for a time.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Hi @JazCopycat

Just wondering how you and your husband are doing?

I hope things are looking better.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Best wishes and prayers for your husband. I hope he makes a full recovery.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    anyone explain why every one of OP posts are flagged?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I'm guessing someone got uppity because the OP used curse words. Never mind that she had every reason to. I hope everything turned out OK, this was a couple of weeks ago...
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

I'm guessing someone got uppity because the OP used curse words. Never mind that she had every reason to. I hope everything turned out OK, this was a couple of weeks ago...

Agreed, very upsetting circumstances. If you are uppity after the first couple posts why bother returning to the thread. Some people have nothing better to do I guess.
  • 10ssmith
    10ssmith Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I hope her husband is okay!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Doctors also may choose to remove a portion of his skull to relieve the pressure on his brain. This sort of surgery was done by cavemen with flint knives thousands of years ago. Modern doctors got this.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Hope your husband is better